2009 Hall of Fame Class of Electees

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Bob Hayes, Randall McDaniel, Bruce Smith, Ralph Wilson, Derrick Thomas, and Rod Woodson elected to Hall of Fame Class of 2009.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Can't say I am not surprised Dent didn't make it. I really don't see him making it. I think there is a media bias against him. It is a tough class next year so it will be difficult. My feeling is, for any sports HOF, if you don't make it in the first 3 attempts, what is gonna change in the future for people to change their minds.

Looking at some stats (the dreaded word) comparing Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas and Dent, Dent comes out on the short end when it comes to sacks per game and tackles per game.

Listing Smith, Thomas and Dent in that order:

Games played: 279 169 203
Sacks per game .72 .75 .68
Tackles/game 3.9 3.5 3.3

Statistically pretty equal. Dent has a Super Bowl win and MVP over Thomas. Why the slight, has to be media driven imo.
gaba
Head Coach

The only difference is the teams they played on. The defenses Dent played on were far better than those of Smith and Thomas. Can you name another player on either defense? There might be one or two on each. The Bears defense however... Dent was surrounded by legends. There are two others already in the HOF and a half-dozen others that are at least worthy of consideration. The fact that Dent was able to reach comparable numbers to Smith and Thomas, while playing on the best defense in the history of the league, speaks volumes for the mans ability.

I am not a Chiefs fan, but I am a Derrick Thomas fan. I loved watching the guy play. He was a truly special player. That being said... had he not died this would not be an issue. Stats alone do not make a Hall of Famer. Sentimentality does not make a Hall of Famer. Sure, he's worthy... just not before Dent.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!