Dolphins' loss, Chicago's gain?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Halas85
Assistant Coach

Let's see, a safety and a right tackle. Hmm ... I wonder who might be scouring the market right now for each of these positions???
----------------

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Miami Dolphins will not place the franchise tag on any of their five free agents, head coach Tony Sparano said Thursday.

The Dolphins went to the NFL scouting combine with several significant free agents to address. The top two candidates to receive the franchise tag were safety Yeremiah Bell and right tackle Vernon Carey.

Franchise tags are for one year at an average guaranteed salary of the top five highest-paid players at that position. Bell's tag would have been $6.34 million, while Carey's would have been $8.45 million.

Scouts Inc. ranks Bell and Carey the second-best players at their positions in this year's free-agent class.

Bell led the Dolphins with 120 tackles. He also had a sack, three forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed.

Carey started all 16 games at right tackle after being switched from the left side to make way for No. 1 pick Jake Long, who went to the Pro Bowl.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
gaba
Head Coach

I sure wouldn't mind getting a shot at Carey.

(Surprised?)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

Bell is a tackling machine, but he's only had like 2 picks in the last 5 years. (I'm too lazy to look up the actual stat...but I'm pretty sure I'm close).

I'm not getting overly optimistic about ANYTHING in Free Agency. And those who are are going to be very, very disappointed.
gaba
Head Coach

INTs are nice, but I'll take a guy that makes plays in other ways.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

In his last two 16 game seasons, Bell has had 10 and 12 passes defended. So while he may not be grate at catching the ball, he get's his hands on more then Brown ever did and combine that with those tackle numbers and it' more then apparent that the guy is seldom out of position. (Dude is averaging over 5.8 tackles a game over his last three seasons)

A single signing like this could single handedly propel this D back to the ranks of the dominate. That would leave OT and WR as the only two ‘must fill’ positions with two first day picks and plenty of cash still in hand.

It simply makes too much since, there is no way he’s a Bear.
wab
Mod

Both Bell and Carey re-upped in Miami...
Halas85
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:Both Bell and Carey re-upped in Miami...
Those dirty bastards...
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar