R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 am

I think the Bears had Montgomery as their top rated RB out of Jacobs, Sanders, and Henderson. Once those guys were off the board Pace did what he had to do to make sure he got him. I don't think it was really him freaking out, just making sure he got his top rated player.

Pace even said to Montgomery "I told you this would happen".
User avatar
VA_Mountain_Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:45 am

He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 am

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Montgomery WAS my top choice for the bears, and I agree that he is an excellent fit in this offense. That said, he was a third round pick for a reason. He's not going to be Saquan Barkley or Ezekial Elliot, nor probably even Kareem Hunt, but all he has to do is be effective enough to force teams to defend the whole field all the time.

I can see him getting 1000 yards on the ground and another 400 in receiving this year - which is enough to get the job done. (very comparable to Matt Forte, when I think about it)
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:32 am

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Montgomery WAS my top choice for the bears, and I agree that he is an excellent fit in this offense. That said, he was a third round pick for a reason. He's not going to be Saquan Barkley or Ezekial Elliot, nor probably even Kareem Hunt, but all he has to do is be effective enough to force teams to defend the whole field all the time.

I can see him getting 1000 yards on the ground and another 400 in receiving this year - which is enough to get the job done. (very comparable to Matt Forte, when I think about it)
I think he's a better prospect than Hunt was. Early on in the process Montgomery was being talked about as a 1st round prospect. His lack of top end speed and other overall draft factors is what contributed to him dropping to the 3rd.
User avatar
VA_Mountain_Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:53 am

wab wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Being able to run the entire offense without defenses knowing what we are doing is invaluable. It brings more to the table than simply his measurables in my eyes.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3522
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
VA_Mountain_Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:56 pm

OK guys you all NEED to watch this one. I've been scouring the internet for good video compilation and analysis of our players. This is simply the best video compilation on Montgomery I have seen yet. While we all know his top end speed isn't great, you'll see in this his acceleration is excellent. His balance, ability to flip hips and change direction, and short burst are great. Toughness and Pass pro are also on display. Ya'll will like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440TkHUJfv0&feature=youtu.be
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15741
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 pm

wab wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Ding!

To add to your point, you're going to see a lot more 2 RB sets like Montgomery and Cohen, which is going to give defenses fits. You can trot that out and go to 5 wide. If the defense is in base or even nickel? Good luck!
Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 pm

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:OK guys you all NEED to watch this one. I've been scouring the internet for good video compilation and analysis of our players. This is simply the best video compilation on Montgomery I have seen yet. While we all know his top end speed isn't great, you'll see in this his acceleration is excellent. His balance, ability to flip hips and change direction, and short burst are great. Toughness and Pass pro are also on display. Ya'll will like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440TkHUJfv0&feature=youtu.be
That was a terrific breakdown - thank you for sharing.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.
Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.
Ding!

To add to your point, you're going to see a lot more 2 RB sets like Montgomery and Cohen, which is going to give defenses fits. You can trot that out and go to 5 wide. If the defense is in base or even nickel? Good luck!
I'm really anxious to see that offensive set....and here's hoping that Mitch is lights out in his 2nd year in the offense. I want him to be a world beater and be considered as one of the elite QB's in the game. Having Montgomery and Cohen as outlets in the passing game should help.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3522
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
Buffaloaf
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.
User avatar
RING4CHI
Mod
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm

UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.
I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?
To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15741
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 pm

RING4CHI wrote:
UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.
I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?
To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.
My mental image:

Image
Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
User avatar
RING4CHI
Mod
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm

G08 wrote: My mental image:

Image
Spot on, sir. Arm motions and all.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am

Buffaloaf wrote:
Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.
Ok WOW! I rarely watch those types of interviews etc...but that blew me away. Good kid. Very happy he is a Bear.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 8019
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Wed May 01, 2019 6:36 pm

G08 wrote:I just heard a story about him: it was 2am on a weekend and Montgomery calls one of his coaches. The coach is freaking out and answers his phone prepared to hear the worst. Instead? Montgomery asks Coach for the password to get into the film room.

This dude... I'm in love.
:rofl: That's awesome.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3522
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon May 06, 2019 11:43 am

PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.
Image
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4866
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Mikefive wrote:PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.
Image
I really like the McCoy comp.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 am

Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
HurricaneBear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 am

Didn't know anything about this kid prior to the draft but the more I watch the more I love this pick. Here's a great interview he did incase anyone else hasnt seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXuf-1y5MI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4866
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 am

wab wrote:Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
Yeah I had him as the 3rd best top of the second. I think most has him similarly graded.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 am

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
Yeah I had him as the 3rd best top of the second. I think most has him similarly graded.
I had him going in the top of the 2nd. After Jacobs and just before Sanders.
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm

I think G08 and I had a mini discussion on him and how I wasn't a fan because of his long speed. After the draft and reading much more about him, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in the offense.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21171
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am

Monty in uniform:

Image

Image
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am

wab wrote:Looking back at all the pre-draft threads, there was little to no talk about this kid here because we all thought he'd be gone. Kinda crazy that the Bears got arguably the best back in the draft in the 3rd round.
I was so focused on Miles Sanders that I didn't do enough to look at Montgomery. But after reading about him and watching YouTubes I'm glad he's here.

Run DMC (Davis, Montgomery and Cohen) is going to be fun to watch.
Image
User avatar
Knuckles
Player of the Month
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Fri May 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

What I didn't do was watch much if any interviews with the players until we drafted him and when you listen to Montgomery it's really easy to root for him. He just projects confidence and has a calming vibe about him. The fact his dad got him into watching Payton videos is pretty cool as well because you can see a little of Sweetness in his highlight reels. It'll be fun watching him over the next 5+ years!

I wish he would change his number though LOL... Seeing another RB with that number just gives me flashbacks to Ben$on. Hopefully, he can do so well I forget about who wore that number before him. ;)
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Knuckles wrote:Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

What I didn't do was watch much if any interviews with the players until we drafted him and when you listen to Montgomery it's really easy to root for him. He just projects confidence and has a calming vibe about him. The fact his dad got him into watching Payton videos is pretty cool as well because you can see a little of Sweetness in his highlight reels. It'll be fun watching him over the next 5+ years!

I wish he would change his number though LOL... Seeing another RB with that number just gives me flashbacks to Ben$on. Hopefully, he can do so well I forget about who wore that number before him. ;)
I don't think anyone in the history of the Bears that has worn #32 has really amounted to anything - so here's hoping to Montgomery changing that trend.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm

DaSuperfan wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Yeah, I was focused on Sanders as well but when I would mess around with draft sims it was usually Mongomery or Sanders that was available when I would pick so I saw a lot of Montgomery's highlights as well... I thought both would be great backs but once the combine came along I was sold on Sanders.

What I didn't do was watch much if any interviews with the players until we drafted him and when you listen to Montgomery it's really easy to root for him. He just projects confidence and has a calming vibe about him. The fact his dad got him into watching Payton videos is pretty cool as well because you can see a little of Sweetness in his highlight reels. It'll be fun watching him over the next 5+ years!

I wish he would change his number though LOL... Seeing another RB with that number just gives me flashbacks to Ben$on. Hopefully, he can do so well I forget about who wore that number before him. ;)
I don't think anyone in the history of the Bears that has worn #32 has really amounted to anything - so here's hoping to Montgomery changing that trend.
Stares in Johnny Lujack

Return to “The War Room”