Rd 1, #9 pick: Leonard Floyd, LB - Georgia

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

edep12 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
edep12 wrote:Damn, I'm a UGA fan (son is a student and I live in Atlanta). I've seen his entire career. He is freaky long but he will never be big enough to set the edge or bull rush LTS with good feet. The kid is a WR playing defense. Great pick at 25, but with Jack and Tunsil on the board???
I was hoping your opinion would be here.
Thanks. My last post was a bit emotiona because I really do like the kid. I just have SERIOUS doubts that he can put on enough weight to not get abused by NFL lineman. He's a project in that respect and my opinion is that top 10 picks need to be a bit more polished than that....and I REALLY wanted Elliot or Jack and was sure when they traded up it was for Jack, Lawson, or Tunsil (all of which were probably better options at that pick.

IMO Floyd is a guy you trade back into the late 1st to take as your second 1st rounder. If someone else grabs him top 10...you let them.
I was convinced they were trading up for Tunsil.
UOK
Site Admin

I think we'll all feel better about everything once the draft is complete and we have a bit clearer an idea of our roster.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He's certainly different than the rushers the Bears have on the roster. I don't think he's a starter, but clearly the Bears saw something. I guess that's good enough for me.
Good enough for today. Week 9 when he is getting 20 snaps a game with 1.5 sacks, we all might not be so forgiving.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

At #9 I want an impact, starting caliber player, not a part-time guy. Hope this guy works out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

https://twitter.com/search?q=tunsil+nfl ... r%5Esearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tunsil pics. Smoking a bong thru a gas mask type deal.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I hate the pick (kind of...read on)....any time you spend a top then pick on a 'package guy' that may 'never start for you' it seem like a waste.

That said......the fact that they traded up for him tells me they really like him and they have quite a bit of conviction in that opinion.

Again...I don't like it. But NOTHING in this league is more valuable then guys that can get to the QB (of course QBs are....but that's a different animal)

It may sound weird....but I may actually be more unhappy with this pick if we would have taken him at 11. It would have felt (to me) as thought they didn't know what to do and panicked. But they traded up for him. Clearly...there is something they really - really like.
UOK
Site Admin

DaDitka wrote:I hate the pick (kind of...read on)....any time you spend a top then pick on a 'package guy' that may 'never start for you' it seem like a waste.

That said......the fact that they traded up for him tells me they really like him and they have quite a bit of conviction in that opinion.

Again...I don't like it. But NOTHING in this league is more valuable then guys that can get to the QB (of course QBs are....but that's a different animal)

It may sound weird....but I may actually be more unhappy with this pick if we would have taken him at 11. It would have felt (to me) as thought they didn't know what to do and panicked. But they traded up for him. Clearly...there is something they really - really like.
Great post. I trust Pace/Fox & co. for now to have complete drafts, and obviously we have a long way to go, but I hope we see White explode onto the scene this year and Floyd wreak havoc on QBs.

I hope Floyd is a goddamn nightmare for opposing defenses.
wab
Mod

DaDitka wrote:I hate the pick (kind of...read on)....any time you spend a top then pick on a 'package guy' that may 'never start for you' it seem like a waste.

It doesn't sound weird at all. I completely get what you are saying. And if I'm being completely honest, there wasn't anyone in the first round at 11 that I thought was a "great" option.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Gregg Gabriel
Strong Points
Tall and long, very good athlete with speed. Has bend coming off the edge. Can use his hands, shows he can cover man to man. Good to very good overall pass coverage skills. Good tackler. Competes, good space player.

Weak Points
Narrow frame, lacks bulk and doesn’t have the frame to get much heavier. Can get overpowered by bigger people. Sack production isn’t what it should be given his speed. Will be a 24-year-old rookie.

The Way We See It
Third-year junior who is entering the draft. Spent a year in prep school after high school. Has been a starter since midway through his freshman year. A tall, long and lean player who is used a variety of ways. Lines up inside and outside, up and down. A very good athlete with speed and is very good in space. Has his problems near the line of scrimmage. Lacks top strength and bulk and can get overpowered. Has to make plays with his speed and quickness. That won’t happen at the next level. Will get drafted high because of his athleticism, but I feel unless used properly he will struggle in the NFL. Has to be picked by the right team.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Floyd had the sixth highest positional trait score as an edge rusher in the draft. Had excellent jumps, but his 3 cone (7.18) did not match his build/tape.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Tunsil dropping due to pics of him smoking some ganja.
so, he'll flunk his initial physical and piss test because of it

if this really happened, he is a dumbass

wab wrote:I was convinced they were trading up for Tunsil.
so was I ... but maybe there's more to his off field stuff than we thought
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I think we'll all feel better about everything once the draft is complete and we have a bit clearer an idea of our roster.
probably

but having the feeling their first pick was a potential dud more than a potential stud irks me

hope they know he can be useful
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think what bothers me about it is that he's almost universally considered a part time player in the NFL. That's fine when you don't have holes everywhere. He's not Aldon Smith.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think what bothers me about it is that he's almost universally considered a part time player in the NFL. That's fine when you don't have holes everywhere. He's not Aldon Smith.
if he can get 15 sacks from his part time position I'll consider him worth the effort

but I agree that there were other holes, along with available players to fill them, which makes the Floyd pick painful unless he really becomes something special
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I liked Floyd more as a Sam like Anthony Barr. Your right he looks like a package player.
Pagan
MVP

I'm sure the coaches have very specific uses for this guy

There's a video out there with Pace talking about the Floyd pick. IveI've seen part of it on the Chicago Bears app.
FaithInCutler
MVP

Initially, I disliked the pick. But then, I realized..

Fox drafted Peppers and Von Miller.
Fangio signed off on him and must have slammed the table- as they say..

I'm going to sit back and try to take a deep breath and hope that I'm wrong about the guy and he is the next Aldon Smith. (on the field)
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:I liked Floyd more as a Sam like Anthony Barr. Your right he looks like a package player.
Agreed on the SAM perspective. Full time 4-3 OLB, 3rd down 3-4 OLB. I don't think that's great value with the #9 pick. But it is what it is.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:I'm sure the coaches have very specific uses for this guy
Isn't that the/a complaint? Top 10-pick who needs to be used, not as a 3 down player, but specifically.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

FaithInCutler wrote:I'm going to sit back and try to take a deep breath and hope that I'm wrong about the guy and he is the next Aldon Smith. (on the field)
that is pretty much what we're all left hoping for
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote: if he can get 15 sacks from his part time position I'll consider him worth the effort
I actually texted the EXACT same thing right aft the pick....well...not 'exact' I said 12 - 16 sacks.

But basically the 'same'
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote: if he can get 15 sacks from his part time position I'll consider him worth the effort
I actually texted the EXACT same thing right aft the pick....well...not 'exact' I said 12 - 16 sacks.

But basically the 'same'
that was actually what I typed, not wab

scooter brother?

George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

But basically the 'same'
that was actually what I typed, not wab

scooter brother?

I even thought i was quoting you.......I'm a bit 'rusty' as I've been out of practice the last year or so.
edep12
Journeyman

Now if they find a way to trade into the late first and get Jack or one of the good DEs still out there and I'm all over Floyd at 9.
wab
Mod

All will be forgiven if they can come away with A'Shawn in the 2nd.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:All will be forgiven if they can come away with A'Shawn in the 2nd.
Ugh, I would blow right in my pants if they pulled off that coup.
wab
Mod

edep12 wrote:Now if they find a way to trade into the late first and get Jack or one of the good DEs still out there and I'm all over Floyd at 9.
I really really really hope Floyd can be Von Miller (he's not Aldon Smith and the internet needs to knock that off). I'm just skeptical. He looks like a WR playing LB. But admittedly I'm used to seeing McPhee who looks like like a guard playing LB.
LacertineForest
MVP

I don't know enough about evaluating players to judge. I know if Fox and Fangio truly wanted him, then I'm good with it. As others have said, I don't care if he's a part-time player if he's notching 15 sacks a season for us. Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the draft brings and analyzing the draft class as a whole.
docc
Head Coach

..15..?

I'll take 10 from the kid and a bunch of pressures and be happy..
wab
Mod

If he doesn't get 10 sacks next year it'll be a massive disappointment. Christ...Houston can get 8 sacks in a rotation with a bad knee. If Floyd can't with all his supposed speed and explosion, I'll be even more salty than I am now.