QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:Click here to snap back to reality.

presnapreads.com/2017/04/02/patrick-mahomes-and-the-allure-of-upside/
Snap back to reality... oh no, someone on the internet disagrees with me, guess that makes everything I thought wrong... Nah, I'm good, I'll trust what I saw on tape...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Lol just looked into this guy and you wouldn't like what he had to say about Fournette lol thinks he is pretty much LeGarrett Blount lol, didn't you say Fournette is the greatest back you have seen in years lol...
malk
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:

Snap back to reality... oh no, someone on the internet disagrees with me, guess that makes everything I thought wrong... Nah, I'm good, I'll trust what I saw on tape...
It's a funny article, the reference to "numerical representation" when he's just pulling percentages out of his arse (well I'm guessing, if he'd run the plays it'd both take ages and would likely not be a nice round number). Also mentions that he regularly got clean pockets when I understand his line was pretty poor.

Then there's the play against West Virginia that looked more like a half throw away with all the receivers covered.

I think the writer just doesn't like prospects without really clean mechanics which is fair enough but I'm not seeing a great deal else of substance in there. Sure Mahomes might not make it, being a QB is hard, but I don't see any massive red flags that mean it's a terribly low percentage chance.

I think teams like Mahomes not because of his upside but because of his ability. He needs to learn an NFL offence but he doesn't need a complete overhaul of his mechanics but rather a scheme that will compensate for the issues they create (and maximise the opportunities).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:

It's a funny article, the reference to "numerical representation" when he's just pulling percentages out of his arse (well I'm guessing, if he'd run the plays it'd both take ages and would likely not be a nice round number). Also mentions that he regularly got clean pockets when I understand his line was pretty poor.

Then there's the play against West Virginia that looked more like a half throw away with all the receivers covered.

I think the writer just doesn't like prospects without really clean mechanics which is fair enough but I'm not seeing a great deal else of substance in there. Sure Mahomes might not make it, being a QB is hard, but I don't see any massive red flags that mean it's a terribly low percentage chance.

I think teams like Mahomes not because of his upside but because of his ability. He needs to learn an NFL offence but he doesn't need a complete overhaul of his mechanics but rather a scheme that will compensate for the issues they create (and maximise the opportunities).
What it shows is that Mahomes is a developmental QB needing years of work to make it in the NFL. He may become a great QB, but he's not the type of prospect that goes in the first round, let alone the #3 pick in the draft.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:

What it shows is that Mahomes is a developmental QB needing years of work to make it in the NFL. He may become a great QB, but he's not the type of prospect that goes in the first round, let alone the #3 pick in the draft.
Blah blah blah... Mahomes needs all this work because some sports blogger said so.... shut it down guys, "Cian Fahey" said Mahomes needs a ton of work and won't ever draft him... zzzzzzzzzzzzz your lazy takes are making me sleepy...
Last edited by BamaBear09 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He does need work. That's not really up for debate. That skill set though...

Its like a super model who can't walk in heels. Sure walking in heels is a requirement, but that can be worked on, as long as she has everything else going on.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hematite
Player of the Month

Smokescreen or real interest? I've seen now that the Bears visited Mahommes for a private workout and shortly after brought him into Halas Hall.
wab
Mod

I think it's neither. It's just due diligence.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

If this is true......

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:

If this is true......

Oh please be true
UOK
Site Admin

FLIPPITY FIP FAP
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

For all those who want to question his understanding or desire to play within limitations.

G08
Hall of Famer

If we drafted him I'm pretty sure I will (attempt to) do a backflip.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mahomes looked pretty good in his debut last night. Not Trubisky good but good. What's missing from the link is his first pass. 35 yards bomb over a defender, hitting his wr in stride, called back for a hold. I watched some of his reps and he looked good but the chiefs were conservative with him running it on a lot of 3rd downs.

After the first preseason Trubiski is the winner the other 3 though didn't slouch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNeEuOlBKM
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, not horrible. to me he definitely looks the rawest of the four out there. he landed in a such a good spot for him though, i really hope he tears it up.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I agree but I thought the play calling didn't do him any favors. Clearly the rawest.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

As of week 1, his footwork still really sucks
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote:As of week 1, his footwork still really sucks
Meh... he's still going to make plays like this, so footwork, shmutwork... can't throw this pass any better...

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

Kid reminds me so much of Cutler.

G08
Hall of Famer

Jesus Christ :lol:

wab
Mod

Did you find yourself watching Albert Wilson in every clip?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Did you find yourself watching Albert Wilson in every clip?
DUDE YES!!!

I fucking paused the "tape" and looked him up because I was like who the FUCK is this kid!? My lord that short area burst and the way they kept having him run those jerk routes.

wab
Mod

He’s a little dude. But damn.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mahomes is just so much fun to watch.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:

Jesus Christ :lol:

i fucking love this qb class. trubs/watson/mahomes are going to be so much fun to watch grow up.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mahomes my favorite QB in the class. He still throws off balance and trusts his arm to much. But that kid is going to be special.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Mahomes my favorite QB in the class. He still throws off balance and trusts his arm to much. But that kid is going to be special.
He still looks so raw, really needs to clean up his mechanics but I just love his "fuck you/never say die" attitude. Kid's going to be a blast to watch.