QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:46 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 am This is going to be one of those Chandler Jones vs Shea Mcclellin things. (Not suggesting Trubs will be Shea)
Narrator voice: Trubisky turned out to be another Shea.
My brain instinctively read that in Morgan Freeman's voice.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

My brain went with Daniel Stern in The Wonder Years.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Revisiting the posts in here is pretty fun... wonder where Adipost ended up, I see he hasn't been back here since 2017... he was just so sure Mahomes wasn't going to make it...
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 am This is a very, very early "MY GUY!" from me :arrow: it's telling of how poorly I'm expecting this season to go :(

That being said, here's some very quick thoughts of mine on the kid:

I'm simply enamored by his athleticism, arm strength, size, and really his character: people have raved about it. His father played professional baseball and the kid spent a lot of his youth around professional athletes and it seems like it has rubbed off on him.

6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees). He's this odd mix of Favre/Manziel/Rodgers when you look at his elite traits, but he still needs at least one year on the bench refining his mechanics (I don't like where he holds the ball nor how he stands in the pocket, needs to clean up his footwork as well) but the talent is there. He'll make some throws that will leave your jaw on the floor (across his body, but accurate and with zip) and other 'simple' throws that he will flat-out miss (read: mechanics).

I'm sure he'll move up the boards as the season progresses (of course, assuming his shoulder is healthy) but I'd gladly spend a 2nd or 3rd on the kid if he finishes out this season as I am expecting. He's not Russell Wilson, he's not Johnny Manziel, he's somewhere in the middle with a better arm than either.

Keep an eye on this kid... just turned 21 and is currently a Junior.
Before turning 24.5 years of age, Patrick Mahomes has accomplished the following:

Super Bowl Champion
Super Bowl MVP
Regular Season MVP
5,000+ yard passing season
50 passing TD season

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

The fact that he was the MVP was a sham. He played like shit for 45 minutes.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 pm The fact that he was the MVP was a sham. He played like shit for 45 minutes.
Yep. Shoulda been Damien Williams or Chris Jones.

But it's all about the marketability of QBs.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I thought Damien Williams made a strong case.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I didn't think he should have been mvp either. He's still the best player in the NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 pm
wab wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 pm The fact that he was the MVP was a sham. He played like shit for 45 minutes.
Yep. Shoulda been Damien Williams or Chris Jones.

But it's all about the marketability of QBs.
That SF defense deserves some credit. It definitely held that KC offense in check. KC was able to punch a few crucial short yardage 1st down and goalline runs through, though I believe that SF played the pass 1st almost all game. Bosa for instance was next to Mahomes on most passing plays. For a young QB to stay composed and deliver when needed, showed his mettle.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:49 am I thought Damien Williams made a strong case.

I thought the same as well. Had a very strong game. The league is driven by the QB position so no surprise.