QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He's put up the the best numbers a Texas Tech since... Graham Harrell... so there's that.
G08
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:He's put up the the best numbers a Texas Tech since... Graham Harrell... so there's that.
Two entirely different players, though.

Remove the system if you can, focus on the traits.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

I'd like his TD percentage to be better but I'm guessing that it might be depressed a little down to his own rushing TDs?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
UOK
Site Admin

Some of Mahomes highlights get me pretty excited. I like how dynamic he can be with his feet and making plays where none are available.

Other highlights give me flashes of Henry Burris, and worrying if he's going to be able to hang w/ NFL quality secondaries.
malk
Head Coach

I don't see a lot else for his offence either. Giles had a breakout year at receiver but the running game was unspectacular (how much of that is down to the offence I don't know). Then his production this year has come whilst battling shoulder and wrist injuries.

Behind our line with little pressure coming up the middle, Howard commanding defensive respect and Jeffery (if he stays) being a great outlet for jump balls...

Well I'd take him with our second or even trade back to the bottom of the first.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

dapianna
Journeyman

No way he starts week 1. He'll need a whole year of therapy and treatment because it seems like he was running for his life every single snap.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Now I see this thread...sign me up on the Mahomes Express straight outta Soldier Field Station!
The more tape I see of him and the others, the more I like him, which seems weird because he's so flawed and unconventional. But sometimes Rodgers and others throw balls with weird arm angles and get away with it. Mechanical flaws can be tweaked. The kid is smart on the field and that counts a lot with me.

I could embrace the idea of trading down (or up) into the 20's and taking him. But he still needs to sit for maybe a year to work on his flaws.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:Now I see this thread...sign me up on the Mahomes Express straight outta Soldier Field Station!
The more tape I see of him and the others, the more I like him, which seems weird because he's so flawed and unconventional. But sometimes Rodgers and others throw balls with weird arm angles and get away with it. Mechanical flaws can be tweaked. The kid is smart on the field and that counts a lot with me.

I could embrace the idea of trading down (or up) into the 20's and taking him. But he still needs to sit for maybe a year to work on his flaws.
Oh definitely. And with a group of stop gaps available, Mahomes wouldn't have to start unless the injury plague hits again. But we should be able to get a premier player at #3, then if necessary trade up into the 2nd to get Mahomes...(I have no idea how his combine eval will go) or by conventional wisdom take him with our 3rd overall pick.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I fear about Mahomes. That first throw is not even remotely something a professional NFL quarterback should do.

Ever.

That's like, "get your ass out of the league" quality throw.

Second one was great.

This team can't have that kind of 50/50 behind center. I like Mahomes, but you can't crown the kid with that kind of shoddy gambling.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:

This is what I fear about Mahomes. That first throw is not even remotely something a professional NFL quarterback should do.

Ever.

That's like, "get your ass out of the league" quality throw.

Second one was great.

This team can't have that kind of 50/50 behind center. I like Mahomes, but you can't crown the kid with that kind of shoddy gambling.
Jay Cutler syndrome man... it's intoxicating when it works, maddening when it doesn't.

Mahomes has it, Allen has it... question is can you harness it.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Mahomes has it, Allen has it... question is can you harness it.
Is the team that has to do the harnessing the Bears?

Then the answer is no.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

the key to any QB is keeping them out of those 3 and longs. If Howard gets 5 yards on 1st down, that sets up anyone we have under center for a variety of options on second down.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Does Mahomes have habits that will need to change in the NFL? Sure. The question is... Is he smart enough to make those adjustments? From what I see of the game tape, Mahomes is an intelligent player. So I'm going with yes on that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

Mahomes is the second coming of Jay Cutler. He will be a turnover machine in the NFL. He even has the same basic flaws as cutler such as throwing off his back foot. If the Bears couldn't fix Cutler after all these years, why would anyone think they will fix Mahomes.
malk
Head Coach

Did we even try to fix Cutler?

UOK
Site Admin

malk wrote:Did we even try to fix Cutler?
If you look at Pace's words from the press conference where essentially not throwing interceptions needs to be the utmost top priority from their quarterback, you can basically deduce what they've decided to do with Cutler.
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
If you look at Pace's words from the press conference where essentially not throwing interceptions needs to be the utmost top priority from their quarterback, you can basically deduce what they've decided to do with Cutler.
Oh I'm with you, I just don't think we ever really tried to fix Cutler. You don't do that by keep throwing different OCs and systems at him every couple of years.

I don't mean for this to get into a Cutler thread again, all I mean is that not grooming a QB in the past doesn't mean we can't do so now.

That said, Fox is still the HC so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Just read: The NFL Draft Advisory Committee gave Mahomes a Round 1-2 grade. Also I just saw Mahomes mocked to the Texans in round 1. Not overwhelming "evidence" of the kid being valued higher than what many here feel he's worth, but Mahomes' value might surprise many of you guys.
Adipost
MVP

Mahomes has elite first round arm talent. The problem is that his arm has let him get away with very poor mechanics that will destroy him in the NFL. The key for him is to be drafted by a team that can actually develop a QB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
UOK wrote:
Oh I'm with you, I just don't think we ever really tried to fix Cutler. You don't do that by keep throwing different OCs and systems at him every couple of years.

I don't mean for this to get into a Cutler thread again, all I mean is that not grooming a QB in the past doesn't mean we can't do so now.

That said, Fox is still the HC so maybe I'm talking bollocks.
here's a theory: maybe we take mahomes because we're trapped in a christmas movie, and obv we fucked up big time with cutler... we got a promising young kid and we tasked helping him on his journey to elite nfl qb to ron turner and mike tice and j'marcus webb. we fucked up, and the universe is like, ok, you got one more shot.

before the draft, pace will be visted by three spirits.
malk
Head Coach

Vodka, tequila and gin?

G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Vodka, tequila and gin?
:lol: Well played

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

:)
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Does it bother anyone that QB's in the Texas Tech system generally don't translate too well in the pros? Don't know if it's mentioned in the thread (I imagine it has).

Not saying Mahomes will flop, but something about that system irks me a little bit.
10 years ago my answer to that question would be yes. Tech at the time was one of a handful of college offenses running the spread, and they were the best at it. Now it's what college offense isn't running the spread these days? Any quarterback coming out has to make just about as much in offense adjustments as any of his counterparts.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
malk
Head Coach

RING4CHI wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:Does it bother anyone that QB's in the Texas Tech system generally don't translate too well in the pros? Don't know if it's mentioned in the thread (I imagine it has).

Not saying Mahomes will flop, but something about that system irks me a little bit.
10 years ago my answer to that question would be yes. Tech at the time was one of a handful of college offenses running the spread, and they were the best at it. Now it's what college offense isn't running the spread these days? Any quarterback coming out has to make just about as much in offense adjustments as any of his counterparts.
My knowledge of college football isn't great but that sounds like a really good point.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:before the draft, pace will be visted by three spirits.

malk wrote:Vodka, tequila and gin?

:rimshot:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Still the only QB that I want. Take him with the 2nd please.

Hematite
Player of the Month

I'd take Mahomnes in the 2nd over Watson in the 1st any day of the week. Ideally, Keep Cutler, trade back and take Mahommes in the 2nd. Use the trade back and extra picks for defensive help. Sit Mahommes until Cutler gets hurt.
malk
Head Coach

Mahomes would need longer to sit than that, at least a full season.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

He seems to have good placement on his deep throws, and watching him against Oklahoma (he threw it 88 times this game), he set his feet and ripped a couple of throws between defenders. Watched his tape against Arizona State and he made some good throws on the move in that game. I want to see basically his worst game of the season, versus Iowa State, he threw two picks in that game.

Here's what I have seen so far, moves around the pocket well and always attempts to get body square before throwing. Doesn't have a long wind up to throw, once he makes his decision on where to go with it, it comes out quick. May need work on mechanics but looks to have a pretty strong arm, and was fairly accurate while not having his feet completely set. With the "tape" we get to see, we don't have all the angles and complete breakdown so based on what I could see his decision making seems to be solid, he looks to be going through a progression and deciding on where to go with the ball. And twice I saw him switch hands and toss the ball out of bounds to prevent taking a sack. Seems to have savvy and keeps his head even when under pressure.