QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Mahomes would need longer to sit than that, at least a full season.
You and I seem to be on the same page with Mahomes in all of your comments.

Mahomes plays really SMART and doesn't do dumb stuff very often. Sometimes he makes dumb plays (like throwing back over the middle late) and they work out anyway. Yes, he has mechanical issues for sure and he'll be best served by sitting for a year. But he has a really strong, accurate arm, throws well on the run and most importantly, he thinks well on his feet. You can't coach most of that. But mechanics can be fixed.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:He seems to have good placement on his deep throws, and watching him against Oklahoma (he threw it 88 times this game), he set his feet and ripped a couple of throws between defenders.

he had 88 pass attempts in 1 game?

damn .... so what were his final stats?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:He seems to have good placement on his deep throws, and watching him against Oklahoma (he threw it 88 times this game), he set his feet and ripped a couple of throws between defenders.

Here's Mahomes' career stats:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... mes-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:

Against Oklahoma, he finished 52 of 88, 731 yards, 5 tds to 1 int and 12 carried for 85 yards and 2 tds

I'm still waiting to see the Iowa State game video to hit youtube.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... mes-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the link

his passing line in that Oklahoma game is surreal : 52 completions on 88 attempts, 734 yards, 5 TD's. 1 int

not sure how they are calculating QBR as it lists him having some games in 2016 in the 180's, 190's and over 200 ... I thought the max QBR was 158?

here's his 2016 game logs link - http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... elog/2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

thanks for the link

his passing line in that Oklahoma game is surreal : 52 completions on 88 attempts, 734 yards, 5 TD's. 1 int

not sure how they are calculating QBR as it lists him having some games in 2016 in the 180's, 190's and over 200 ... I thought the max QBR was 158?

here's his 2016 game logs link - http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... elog/2016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe they still use the old QB rating system on that site.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

After watching breakdown of his tape i say we go best cb or s at 3 grab him in 2nd. I think he can be real good as long as we stick with one system to learn.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

thanks for the link

They have their own formula for passer efficiency rate...hover over the rate at the top and it'll give you their formula
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

If the Bears don't take Watson or Trubisky in R1, the only other QB I'd be ok with is Mahomes in R2.

I don't want anything to do with Kaaya or Kizer. And I don't think the Bears can afford to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take someone like Nathan Peterman or Jerod Evans. (Although I like Evans a lot.)
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If the Bears don't take Watson or Trubisky in R1, the only other QB I'd be ok with is Mahomes in R2.

I don't want anything to do with Kaaya or Kizer. And I don't think the Bears can afford to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take someone like Nathan Peterman or Jerod Evans. (Although I like Evans a lot.)
I'm on board with this line of thinking.

What do you like better:

A) Jonathan Allen / Patrick Mahomes II

B) Deshaun Watson / Desmond King
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:

What do you like better:

A) Best DB or trade down and take best WR or DB because we nailed FA/ Patrick Mahomes II

I fixed it for you and will take A
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:If the Bears don't take Watson or Trubisky in R1, the only other QB I'd be ok with is Mahomes in R2.

What do you like better:

A) Jonathan Allen / Patrick Mahomes II

B
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
G08 wrote:

What do you like better:

A) Best DB or trade down and take best WR or DB because we nailed FA/ Patrick Mahomes II

I fixed it for you and will take A
I'm not a huge fan of king and his lack of height. 5'11 probably come in at 5'10 against the taller wrs? No thanks
wab
Mod

King is probably going to move to safety in the NFL. That's why he's dropped to the 30's.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:King is probably going to move to safety in the NFL. That's why he's dropped to the 30's.
That's how I'm seeing it as well... but I wouldn't even mind letting Fuller and King battle for CB-2 and the loser kick out to free safety (not my ideal scenario).

There will be a ton of CB talent available to us in round 2.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:King is probably going to move to safety in the NFL. That's why he's dropped to the 30's.
That's how I'm seeing it as well... but I wouldn't even mind letting Fuller and King battle for CB-2 and the loser kick out to free safety (not my ideal scenario).

There will be a ton of CB talent available to us in round 2.
Gareon Conley is a guy I'm starting to fall in like with.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Gareon Conley is a guy I'm starting to fall in like with.

Like your going to friend zone him? Like your going to tease him along, maybe 1st or 2nd base. Then your going to stop it and say your friendship is to important and never let him feel your pooter. All the while your spit roasted with his arch nemesis Latimoure and Hooker.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hey, don't go trying to define their relationship. It only has to work for the people in it, you know!
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Am I the only one who sees terrible mechancis on Mahomes? He's effective using his baseball throwing style but NFL coaches might try to re-train his motion and that will delay his development.
xyt in the discord chats
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:Am I the only one who sees terrible mechancis on Mahomes? He's effective using his baseball throwing style but NFL coaches might try to re-train his motion and that will delay his development.
we won't know nothing till the combine. Supposedly every one of these QB's are working with guys to improve their mechanics and take snaps from under center as well as learn pro offense terminology so they can sound football smart in team meetings.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

For those who claim Mahomes doesn't make progression reads

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:For those who claim Mahomes doesn't make progression reads

Mahomes has a much bigger problem than playing in the air raid offense. He doesn't read the field well.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:

Mahomes has a much bigger problem than playing in the air raid offense. He doesn't read the field well.
Just a tiny bit of support for your statements would make them infinitely more interesting. Not trying to snark, just want to see the reasoning behind the thoughts.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Just a tiny bit of support for your statements would make them infinitely more interesting. Not trying to snark, just want to see the reasoning behind the thoughts.
"Cause" :rofl:
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:

Except for him explaining in the video how he read the field and what he would look for... but sure, you said he doesn't read the field well, so he must not.
Adipost
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Except for him explaining in the video how he read the field and what he would look for... but sure, you said he doesn't read the field well, so he must not.
It's true, and that's a HUGE problem to have going into the NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Oh you didn't mention that it was true before. That changes everything.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:Oh you didn't mention that it was true before. That changes everything.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

It's true, and that's a HUGE problem to have going into the NFL.
Totally explains your opinion... or as I said above "cause"

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

who let the stink into the Mahomes thread...?
Take that where it belongs, back over to the Kizer thread!
:thumbsup: