QB Prospect Discussion: Brad Kaaya, Miami

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:Maybe if Kaaya sits and learns he can be an average version of Alex Smith...who is already exceedingly average.
If by chance Kaaya becomes the next Alex Smith (well, okay, minus the athleticism, cos let's face it, Smith has decent wheels) for the Bears, I'd be tickled to death cos any non-first round QB who develops into anything other than training camp fodder is a huge bonus.
I said an average version of Alex Smith...not the "next Alex Smith". Because I think an average version of Alex Smith (an already average QB) is probably Kaaya's ceiling.
I'm going to agree with you. I would also add their field play is similar. Of course Smith has the mobility that Kaaya lacks, but I feel Kaaya has a greater willingness to push the ball vertically over Smith. Smith may be average but he is a solid starter and has been for years. If the bears could get the same production from Kaaya, IMO that would be a later draft pick well spent. I also think some might be a little too worried about overall excitement value from the QB position. I would much rather have a QB that is on the field week in and week out. A QB that can get the ball out of his hands into his player makers hands and watch the yards and TD's add up. If the combo of Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley can put up 4K yards and 18 TD's, Loggains system is working. The bears just need a QB that can work inside of his system and is consistently available and doesn't put the team in a bad position with costly turnovers.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:The bears just need a QB that can work inside of his system and is consistently available and doesn't put the team in a bad position with costly turnovers.
Then that guy is already on the roster and they don't need to draft another one. Because it's Glennon to a T.

Boring...system QB...no mobility...careful.
G08
Hall of Famer

Why do people in our fanbase think game managers are a good thing? It's consistent and it's fucking annoying (no offense to anyone, it just drives me up a God damned wall). The rules in this horseshit league literally are geared toward the passing game and putting up points, not running the ball and dinking/dunking your way to 10-6 victories. Those days are over.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

I'm just so disappointed because it felt like it was finally time for a young and exciting QB to build around. Not Mike freaking Glennon and Mark freaking Sanchez.

I hope Shaw just goes off in camp. He won't...but whatever.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Why do people in our fanbase think game managers are a good thing? It's consistent and it's fucking annoying (no offense to anyone, it just drives me up a God damned wall). The rules in this horseshit league literally are geared toward the passing game and putting up points, not running the ball and dinking/dunking your way to 10-6 victories. Those days are over.

it's the saddest thing. there's basically three tiers of football teams:

1. teams with a good qb
2. teams with a game manager qb
3. teams with a bad qb.

no fans of teams in tier 2 actually like their qb's. because they know the futility of being good not great. ok cool, you never get a decent draft pick and you're lucky to get a first round playoff exit. but teams in tier three are like, OH MAN, YOU DONT KNOW HOW GOOD YOU GOT IT.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:I hope Shaw just goes off in camp. He won't...but whatever.
Oh, he might.
And then he'll get injured again, so.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Why do people in our fanbase think game managers are a good thing? It's consistent and it's fucking annoying (no offense to anyone, it just drives me up a God damned wall). The rules in this horseshit league literally are geared toward the passing game and putting up points, not running the ball and dinking/dunking your way to 10-6 victories. Those days are over.
I get, trust me. I don't think Loggains offense will be boring at all. The top offenses use west coast base systems but they all have the ability to stretch the field while being able to "dink and dunk". This takes a smart QB to play with in the system, this is an aspect that the bears have lacked in the past. An accurate passer putting the ball in a place where the receiver can create YAC yards is a thing of beauty not boring. I also believe it will put the team in better scoring position over throwing up a 50/50 ball. Pocket passer like Brady, P. Manning and Ryan's of the league have learned to work within their system and have excelled in doing so. People keep taking of this "new" NFL, if that be the case, why does the traditional pocket passer lead the league year in and year out? IMO, there was nothing boring watching Brady orchestrate the second half in the Super Bowl.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Pocket passers like Brady, P. Manning, and Ryan are not dink-and-dunkers though.

Nobody is lamenting pocket passers, it's pocket passers that have a sub-average arm and can't create on their own. That's a shit combination.

Matt Ryan ran a derivative of Loggains' offense last season so we know it's explosive. I just can't stand the Hoyer's of the world who refuse to rip it 18 yards opposite hash when it's wide open and instead takes the checkdown for -1.
wab
Mod

I just want the current bears QB era to be over already. That includes Glennon/Sanchez/Shaw and whatever throw away rookie they draft.

This team is so frustratingly stupid.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I just want the current bears QB era to be over already. That includes Glennon/Sanchez/Shaw and whatever throw away rookie they draft.

This team is so frustratingly stupid.
We're stuck in 1985. The NFL is night-and-day different compared to that era.
Hematite
Player of the Month

You guys bitch like the Bears have a QB superstar reality sitting there that they are ignoring.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it's our team and we'll bitch if we want to

aside from bitching about our bitching, do you have any comments on Brad Kaaya? I think the consensus is he is a 3rd - 4th round pick, and most here don't want him on the Bears even then
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:You guys bitch like the Bears have a QB superstar reality sitting there that they are ignoring.
How long has it been, man? I mean seriously. At some point you have to realize our franchise/ownership/whatever is fucking retarded. And I honestly do partially blame the fans that don't understand you need more than a game-manager to win in today's NFL.
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:
Hematite wrote:You guys bitch like the Bears have a QB superstar reality sitting there that they are ignoring.
How long has it been, man? I mean seriously. At some point you have to realize our franchise/ownership/whatever is fucking retarded. And I honestly do partially blame the fans that don't understand you need more than a game-manager to win in today's NFL.
I agree that the modern NFL requires more than a game manager. But reality shows that star QB's above game manager status barely exist. Unfortunately for Pace, he gets a top 5 draft pick where a top 5 QB prospect just doesn't exist. So he did the next best thing which is find Glennon. Who may or may not be the future of the team, who at the worst has shown he can at least not lose games, which is a big step up considering where we've been. His stats, in my eye, show more positives than negatives, considering the shitty teams he played on with the Bucs.

As for Kaaya, I would have no problem with Pace taking a swing on him 4th round or later. If Pace deems another QB worthy over Kaaya, I'd have no problem with that either. Some of you pretend you have the qualities to predict future success with college QB's who are so under-prepared for the NFL that even professional scouts get it wrong most times.
wab
Mod

It's cool if you are OK with below average players at the position. I, for one, would like them to...you know...improve the position rather than get worse. And there's no question that they got worse.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:As for Kaaya, I would have no problem with Pace taking a swing on him 4th round or later. If Pace deems another QB worthy over Kaaya, I'd have no problem with that either.
in Kaaya's defense, the flaws many are pointing to seem to be the same flaws Jameis Winston had ... who can forget his falling down backwards fumble against Ohio State? ... many felt at the time he just couldn't stand up to pressure in the NFL ... well, that didn't exactly go as his critics planned did it?

Hematite wrote:Some of you pretend you have the qualities to predict future success with college QB's who are so under-prepared for the NFL that even professional scouts get it wrong most times
I don't think that's true ... we're all merely expressing our opinions ... and I think our opinions are as equally possible of being correct as the alleged experts, who should know more than we do but generally don't seem to
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Most people aren't as disappointed with the QB situation as I (and a few others are) because Longneck Gingerderp isn't Cutler. So "yay it isn't Cutler!" even if Glennon is ridiculously underwhelming, and likely not very good.

I think the thing is...this team has been mired in mediocrity for so long at the position. With other teams castoffs, late round draft picks, and street free agents, that people (ME) want them to at least TRY. Glennon is the opposite of that. Glennon is more of the same garbage they keep trotting out. They feed us shit and call it caviar.

When Cutler was let loose, fans (ME) thought, ok...now the team can at least bring in a home grown player, let him learn on the field, give us a reason to watch games, get us excited as fans again. Then pow. They swiped right on a homely chick at the end of the night because they didn't want to go home alone.
G08
Hall of Famer

^ what he said
Hematite
Player of the Month

wab wrote:
It's cool if you are OK with below average players at the position. I, for one, would like them to...you know...improve the position rather than get worse. And there's no question that they got worse.
Off arm talent, without a doubt, we've taken a step back. But their is a lot more to the position than what Cutler offered, which considering no team has picked him up yet, might be the important traits to the position.

Like I said, if there was a stud prospect that Pace was ignoring, I'd agree with your premise, but that isn't the case. Cutler had to leave, there is no debate there. Hoyer couldn't put the team into the endzone and Barkley, who surprised me early, turned into a TO machine. No way could Pace go into another season with those two, he would have been crucified. At least with Glennon, there is the unknown. If it doesn't work out, Fox, who hates young QB's, becomes the scapegoat, and the new up and comer coach gets the pick of the litter next year, while Pace may buy himself some more time. If he drafts as well as he did last year, I'd be ok with that.
wab
Mod

Hematite wrote:
wab wrote:
Off arm talent, without a doubt, we've taken a step back. But their is a lot more to the position than what Cutler offered, which considering no team has picked him up yet, might be the important traits to the position.

Like I said, if there was a stud prospect that Pace was ignoring, I'd agree with your premise, but that isn't the case. Cutler had to leave, there is no debate there. Hoyer couldn't put the team into the endzone and Barkley, who surprised me early, turned into a TO machine. No way could Pace go into another season with those two, he would have been crucified. At least with Glennon, there is the unknown. If it doesn't work out, Fox, who hates young QB's, becomes the scapegoat, and the new up and comer coach gets the pick of the litter next year, while Pace may buy himself some more time. If he drafts as well as he did last year, I'd be ok with that.
I don't completely disagree. But I'm tired of the "if it doesn't work out with player X then Coach B will get who he wants and it'll be better next year" because it's never "better next year". Nothing about this team has EVER been "better next year".
G08
Hall of Famer

I hope one day we look back on this thread and laugh when Mike Glennon turns into Matt Ryan.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Most people aren't as disappointed with the QB situation as I (and a few others are) because Longneck Gingerderp isn't Cutler. So "yay it isn't Cutler!" even if Glennon is ridiculously underwhelming, and likely not very good.

I think the thing is...this team has been mired in mediocrity for so long at the position. With other teams castoffs, late round draft picks, and street free agents, that people (ME) want them to at least TRY. Glennon is the opposite of that. Glennon is more of the same garbage they keep trotting out. They feed us shit and call it caviar.

When Cutler was let loose, fans (ME) thought, ok...now the team can at least bring in a home grown player, let him learn on the field, give us a reason to watch games, get us excited as fans again. Then pow. They swiped right on a homely chick at the end of the night because they didn't want to go home alone.
G08 wrote:^ what he said

I'll third it
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:Pocket passers like Brady, P. Manning, and Ryan are not dink-and-dunkers though.

Nobody is lamenting pocket passers, it's pocket passers that have a sub-average arm and can't create on their own. That's a shit combination.

Matt Ryan ran a derivative of Loggains' offense last season so we know it's explosive. I just can't stand the Hoyer's of the world who refuse to rip it 18 yards opposite hash when it's wide open and instead takes the checkdown for -1.
I disagree. They all dink and dunk to set up verts. I believe Glennon isn't scared to stretch the field vertically. I'm more so concerned about his ball placement on the dink and dunking crossing routes. This is an area that I believe Kaaya would excel in and the biggest reason I think the bears could find value in him and still fill the defensive needs.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I hope one day we look back on this thread and laugh when Mike Glennon turns into Matt Ryan.
i was just thinking, the neat thing about right now is when glennon turns into a world killer we'll all be legit surprised.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:
G08 wrote:I hope one day we look back on this thread and laugh when Mike Glennon turns into Matt Ryan.
i was just thinking, the neat thing about right now is when glennon turns into a world killer we'll all be legit surprised.

it will be nice if it happens ... and long overdue for the Bears to have a QB they pursued and acquired actually be a solid success story
George Carlin
wab
Mod

History points to Glennon (and Kaaya) being out of the NFL in 3 and 5 years, respectively.
Hematite
Player of the Month

wab wrote:
Hematite wrote:
wab wrote:

I don't completely disagree. But I'm tired of the "if it doesn't work out with player X then Coach B will get who he wants and it'll be better next year" because it's never "better next year". Nothing about this team has EVER been "better next year".
I hear you. Fox does not like young QB's and loathes rookies so I imagine he is pressuring for defensive picks. Considering the predicament the Bears find themselves in with the talent coming out of college at QB and the early draft pick, this may be a blessing in disguise for Pace. It may allow him to escape the chopping block if the struggles continue next year. Anyways, here's to Glennon surprising the fuck out of us and putting this whole debate to rest. Fingers crossed!
malk
Head Coach

Can we stop talking about Longneck the Red in these threads please. When I read them there's a few blissful minutes where talk of drafting a QB makes me forget we made him a top 30 paid player in the league.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Only problem is that Longnecks mere presence impacts drafting a QB. Even an equally shitty one like Kaaya.
Funkster
MVP

malk wrote:Can we stop talking about Longneck the Red in these threads please. When I read them there's a few blissful minutes where talk of drafting a QB makes me forget we made him a top 30 paid player in the league.
Here we go again.....Mr.malk stuck on the price of a 1 yr contact. News flash, the only starting QB's making less are on rookie contracts.