QB Prospect Discussion: Nathan Peterman, PITT

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

This guy is getting some buzz. 6'3 225, not a great arm...but tough, smart, mobile, and accurate. With the Bears having coached him at the senior bowl, and with him drawing some favorable comps to Drew Brees...this could be the Bears pick in the 2nd. Prior to the SB, he was rated as a 3rd-4th round guy.

I don't know if I see Brees when I watch him...but there are a lot of things to like. And they are things that Pace highlighted in his "QB is critical" speech.
wab
Mod

Next NFL draft QB steal in mold of Russell Wilson, Derek Carr could be Nathan Peterman

January 27, 2017
Pittsburgh quarterback Nathan Peterman has dominated Senior Bowl practices. But is it enough for him to be drafted high as the class' top QB prospects?

MOBILE, Ala. — Since 2005, nine quarterbacks have attended the Senior Bowl and gone on to be first-round picks. Joe Flacco, EJ Manuel and Carson Wentz, for example, can trace their NFL draft process rises directly to Mobile, Ala. Even recent second-rounders like Jimmy Garappolo and Derek Carr earned their attention after strong weeks of practice at the Senior Bowl.

In 2017, given one of the weakest senior quarterback classes in recent history, NFL teams came to Mobile pessimistic about the position but hopeful one prospect would emerge. Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman has done just that.

The Tennessee transfer generated some NFL buzz at Pitt this year, especially after the team’s upset victory over Clemson, in which Peterman threw five touchdown passes.

"My worst game this year I felt was against Miami," he said. "We really didn’t play up to our potential. But that Clemson game is the one the scouts always bring up to me. It was a great win for us and showed how we could bounce back."

Peterman is a prepared interviewer who speaks the part of an NFL quarterback. He says just enough to be genuine but not too much to open the door for other questions, taking a page out of Wentz’s playbook from a year ago.

At the Senior Bowl, quarterbacks are taken out of their college comfort zones and forced to work with new receivers in new offenses. It's a high-stress situation with 200-plus evaluators watching every move.

On the field, Peterman has looked solid. His passes tend to flutter a bit as he works downfield, and his good (not great) arm talent can lead to his passes being just strong enough to finish on the perimeter. He has shown quick feet in his drops and outstanding velocity control, two aspects that shouldn’t come as a surprise to evaluators.

But based on Senior Bowl practice film of the first two days, Peterman’s performance has made him look even better than advertised. Through two days, combining his work in seven-on-seven drills (of which there are no lineman involved) and full team drills, Peterman has gone 16 of 19 with one throwaway, and 2 of 3 on passes 15 or more yards.

More impressive, Peterman has made ideal play progressions and decisions on 17 of 19 throws, with just one truly incorrect read. Keep in mind this is Peterman's first time in the Bears' offense with entirely new receivers. Showcasing poise in reading the field and timing with receivers are the toughest hurdles for quarterback prospects in an all-star game setting.

To put it in perspective, those numbers are on par with past Senior Bowl standouts Russell Wilson and Derek Carr, who I have charted using the same process.

By comparison, Peterman's North roster quarterback competitor, Iowa’s CJ Beathard, was just 9 for 16 (with three receiver drops) but with four incorrect progressions. Beathard has looked noticeably less confident and poised in his read progressions and far less ready for the NFL.

Sometimes in the draft process, one interview, one note or one play can be an incitement of a player’s NFL excitement or pessimism. In speaking with scouts and reflecting on film, Peterman had that moment on Day 2.

On the second throw of team drills, Peterman took a five-step drop, looked off the left side safety and placed a pass over the linebacker before the safety could break on Florida International tight end Jonnu Smith — a perfectly thrown 10-yard out pattern. His quick drop, timing of his decision, velocity control to work between defensive gaps and ball placement along the sideline wowed scouts in the moment and on reflection, and the attributes likely will continue to wow for months to come.

Peterman likely won’t be a first-round pick, but he's difficult to project given Carson Wentz’s meteoric rise during last year’s draft process. Peterman’s value likely is more as a third- or fourth-round pick, and his most apt comparison may be Kirk Cousins, who lasted until the fourth round in the 2012 draft.

With six juniors declared for the 2017 NFL Draft, the most in NFL history, and with no other senior quarterbacks rising to the occasion, the class truly is wide open. Peterman won’t overtake North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer or Clemson’s Deshaun Watson anytime soon, but he can give teams a secondary option to those talented-but-far-from-perfect prospects.

Peterman has used the Senior Bowl for its ideal purpose. He has lived up to and built up his buzz. He has won over NFL teams in the interview process with his demeanor throughout the week. He has proven himself as a pro-ready quarterback.

He doesn’t have highly impressive arm talent, and his college film doesn’t scream top-three round pick. But after a historically notable week of practice in terms of composure, accuracy and play progressions, Peterman has made good on his Senior Bowl hype.
G08
Hall of Famer

I just don't like him... he's a more athletic Matt Barkley, with a better arm.

His best game was against Clemson and he barley completed 60% of this passes, I think 6 of them were shovels.
Last edited by G08 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: More impressive, Peterman has made ideal play progressions and decisions on 17 of 19 throws, with just one truly incorrect read. Keep in mind this is Peterman's first time in the Bears' offense with entirely new receivers. Showcasing poise in reading the field and timing with receivers are the toughest hurdles for quarterback prospects in an all-star game setting.

To put it in perspective, those numbers are on par with past Senior Bowl standouts Russell Wilson and Derek Carr, who I have charted using the same process.
My main takeaway from that report. I'd be fine with a guy who can make the right read and throw when needed and will protect the ball. Something we have sorely lacked for a while now.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I just don't like him... he's a more athletic Matt Barkley, with a better arm.

His best game was against Clemson and he barley completed 60% of this passes, I think 6 of them were shovels.
My thoughts exactly. I don't dislike him though. He just doesn't excite me all that much. I think Barkley, given time, and Peterson could be basically the same guy.

I'd clearly prefer Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes over him, but I'd take Peterson over Kizer and definitely over Kaaya.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I just don't like him... he's a more athletic Matt Barkley, with a better arm.

My thoughts exactly. I don't dislike him though. He just doesn't excite me all that much. I think Barkley, given time, and Peterson could be basically the same guy.

I'd clearly prefer Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes over him, but I'd take Peterson over Kizer and definitely over Kaaya.
I want an elite upside QB, someone that puts the fear of God into a defense. I don't think Peterman is that guy, I don't think Kaaya is that guy, I don't think Kizer is that guy (although he could be), I think Mahomes could be if he develops correctly. Right now, the surest thing in my mind is Watson because of his abilities as a runner and how he forces defenses to account for a multitude of looks just by stepping on the field.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm shocked by some of the buzz he's suddenly getting.

I can see R4-5.

R2-3, though?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:I'm shocked by some of the buzz he's suddenly getting.

I can see R4-5.

R2-3, though?

you have to understand the perspective since this is not a great QB class ... this year QB's who would be second or third rounders could well be elevated to the 1st, so others will likely be elevated accordingly

this is probably going to be an interesting and wild draft to follow as a result

hopefully it will be other teams being stupid and the Bears will then benefit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:I'm shocked by some of the buzz he's suddenly getting.

I can see R4-5.

R2-3, though?
If someone thinks he's Kyle Orton Redux (fringe starter with solid backup potential), sure, why not? Teams can (and have) done worse in Rounds 2 and 3.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I think round 2 is his ceiling, and round 4 is his floor. Especially with the lack of QB depth in this draft.
malk
Head Coach

He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Adipost
MVP

malk wrote:He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
If Pace drafts Peterman to be "the guy", he will never get another job in the NFL again.
wab
Mod

I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

Shoot for the moon, if it doesn't work, I can't fault them for trying.
malk
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
malk wrote:He seems like he could be the guy if Pace is true to his BPA philosophy in rounds 1 and 2...
If Pace drafts Peterman to be "the guy", he will never get another job in the NFL again.
I didn't use the definite article.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

With the rookie pay scale the risk of a first round QB pick has been reduced greatly.
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:I don't want anymore mid-late round hopefuls. I want a top 5 QB, risks be damned. A 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick isn't going benefit the Bears any more than keeping Cutler/Barkley/Shaw/Hoyer.

With the rookie pay scale the risk of a first round QB pick has been reduced greatly.
Agreed. And with the state of QB play in the NFL, the risk that the player will only be average is an acceptable one. Because a lot of teams would like to have simply an average QB right now. Missing on a top 10 QB used to set your team back years, now it's absolutely no different than missing on any other player. If he doesn't develop, you move on.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I agree and feel like the Bears are in a unique position this year drafting at #3. As much as I'm worried about the tough schedule next year, I'm still assuming we win 6 or 7 games and that means no top QB available until the NEXT time there's a complete meltdown of a season. We might as well take a shot this year at 3 and the next two years our first rounders (who will be more like #10 or #12) can be different types of playmakers while we see what happens with Watson/Trubisky.
Last edited by crueltyabc on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:I agree and feel like the Bears are in a unique position this year drafting at #3. As much as I'm worried about the tough schedule next year, I'm still assuming we win 6 or 7 games and that means no top QB available until the NEXT time there's a complete meltdown of a season. We might as well take a shot this year at 3 and the next two years our first rounders can be different types of playmakers while we see what happens with Watson/Trubisky.
That's my take as well.

I'm going to dive back into Trubisky, I'm on Watson-burnout at this point with everything I've been reading/watching.

wab
Mod

Peterman getting Dak Prescott comparisons.

Personally if the Bears don't get Watson or Mahomes, Peterson (or maybe Evans) would be the only other QBs I'd like them to consider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... t.amp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Peterman getting Dak Prescott comparisons.

Personally if the Bears don't get Watson or Mahomes, Peterson (or maybe Evans) would be the only other QBs I'd like them to consider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... t.amp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are my preferred top three (in that order) as well.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

I forgot I had a Senior Bowl practice recorded so I went back and focused on Peterman and he was the only QB that was actually interacting with Loggains. I'm talking after each practice rep he'd go back and have comments/thoughts and even ask if a WR ran a route incorrectly and you'd see Loggains' head snap up and he'd reply "yeah he was about 2 yards off". It was interesting to observe.

I don't know... they say coaches take a TON out of these interactions at the Senior Bowl and I could see Loggains pounding the table for this kid IF he really views him as a fit for his offense.

I don't love his college tape, but he's got a quick release, a decent arm, and he's more athletic than some give him credit for in draft circles. I'll maintain until I'm blue in the face that I want an elite, game-breaking QB... I just don't think that is what our franchise wants/deserves/knows how to develop or handle.

He's been called Derek Carr without the strong arm, and he's been called the next Kirk Cousins. Wouldn't shock me to see us take him or Kaaya in round 2 or 3.

Adipost
MVP

[video][/video]
wab
Mod

He's no Alex Tanney.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I forgot I had a Senior Bowl practice recorded so I went back and focused on Peterman and he was the only QB that was actually interacting with Loggains. I'm talking after each practice rep he'd go back and have comments/thoughts and even ask if a WR ran a route incorrectly and you'd see Loggains' head snap up and he'd reply "yeah he was about 2 yards off". It was interesting to observe.

I don't know... they say coaches take a TON out of these interactions at the Senior Bowl and I could see Loggains pounding the table for this kid IF he really views him as a fit for his offense.

I don't love his college tape, but he's got a quick release, a decent arm, and he's more athletic than some give him credit for in draft circles. I'll maintain until I'm blue in the face that I want an elite, game-breaking QB... I just don't think that is what our franchise wants/deserves/knows how to develop or handle.

He's been called Derek Carr without the strong arm, and he's been called the next Kirk Cousins. Wouldn't shock me to see us take him or Kaaya in round 2 or 3.
Yeah but Loggains got his last QB choice wrong. Good catch though.
Ditka4Prez08
Rookie

Personally, I think Bears draft Kaaya (pls god no). They've done a ton of work on him going all the way back to last year, they seem super intrigued by him (not sure why).
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So some of us need to go back and read about Peterman, and then watch the games. I think in a murky class people over look him. This might be my second favorite qb. He is really accurate, reads the field, etc. He just doesn't have a cannon.
wab
Mod

I like Watson (obvi), then Mahomes, then Peterman.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm good with Peterman in the second. I don't think he last until 3rd though.
Nanky
Journeyman

Honestly, I think he's our guy and we'll move up from the 3rd round into the top of the 2nd to grab him. He seems to fit what the Bears are looking for and have some experience with him at the Senior Bowl. That's my guess anyways.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

His Clemson tape definitely shows him "elevating his team", and the familiarity from the Senior Bowl makes it make sense from Pace's POV, and I happen to like him. His arm isn't great, but he can probably find some power for deep balls with technique... the way Brees does.

I'm with wab on the list Watson, Mahommes, Peterman.
xyt in the discord chats