Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:I look at it like this:

He's by all accounts a great kid
Football smart
Solid arm
Very accurate with the football
Athletic/mobile
Can extend plays and make accurate throws for myriad platforms (I have such a soft spot for that)
Patient and willing to work on his craft and not be a disruption to the team

These are all HUGE. So what if he sits this year? I'd be thrilled if the only time he took the field was in blowout wins or blowout losses... and that probably won't happen because he'll be QB3 and inactive.

In 2018, let Glennon and him battle for the starting gig.

Pace is going about this correctly, IMO. I don't give a shit anymore about the 3rd and 4th this year plus a 3rd next year. When you look and see who those players were in the past 10 drafts, you'll feel the same way.
Trubisky should be put on the field the moment the season turns south. Unlike the other QB's who have mechanical issues that need to be worked out, Trubisky's weakness is his lack of experience. He's not a developmental QB.
Middleguard
MVP

Adipost wrote:Trubisky should be put on the field the moment the season turns south.
That will be just after the coin flip of the Falcons game. Too soon, IMO. But I understand your point.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:

Football smart
Solid arm
Athletic/mobile
Can extend plays and make accurate throws for myriad platforms (I have such a soft spot for that)

These are all HUGE. So what if he sits this year? I'd be thrilled if the only time he took the field was in blowout wins or blowout losses... and that probably won't happen because he'll be QB3 and inactive.

Pace is going about this correctly, IMO. I don't give a shit anymore about the 3rd and 4th this year plus a 3rd next year. When you look and see who those players were in the past 10 drafts, you'll feel the same way.
Trubisky should be put on the field the moment the season turns south. Unlike the other QB's who have mechanical issues that need to be worked out, Trubisky's weakness is his lack of experience. He's not a developmental QB.
I disagree, but I'm intentionally taking the conservative approach.

Earliest I'd put him on the field is Week 13 or 14.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Adipost wrote:

Football smart
Solid arm
Athletic/mobile

But he does have mechanical issues - footwork, taking snaps under center, turning his back to the defense and still finding his reads, those are all new to him.

And on the non-mechanical side, he needs to have an intimate understanding of a much more difficult offense than he ran in college AND how to adjust said offense in the face of much more intricate defenses.

I say let him sit for the year and keep his confidence high.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Unless there are injuries, I would prefer him to sit all season (except the last week or two depending on the situation).
The only reason I would want him in there is just to have him taste a bit of the NFL speed and see what he has processed learning during the season. That way he (and the coaches) will know what to work on during the offseason. But only if the situation presents itself.
wab
Mod

Lost season or not, he needs to sit, even if Glennon is complete trash. 2 reasons.

1 - He's not ready.
2 - He needs to sit from PR perspective. If the season is lost and Glennon is complete trash, all the fans that boo'd him and rang this team through the ringer are going to be BEGGING the Bears to bench Glennon for the kid.
Middleguard
MVP

I have no illusions that Trubisky should be mentioned in the same sentence. As Arron Rodgers. And none of us want to wait 3 years for Trubisky to start. But to put this discussion into a Rodgers perspective, in his rookie year Rodgers:
appeared at the end of game 5 in a 52-3 win and threw 1 pass
appeared at the end of game 15 in a 3-48 loss and threw 15 passes
appeared at the end of game 17 and bowed.
He finished his rookie year with 16 Att, 9 Cmp, 65 Yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int, and 3 Sk.

I believe Trubisky can do as well if the Bears choose to give him meaningless time.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Meaningless time sure. Why not? But hopefully we won't hear the retarded chants for QB change(of course we will once there is a single bad game). Hopefully the team sticks to their guns and squash any talk of such change.

On another note, wouldn't it be great if Glennon actually played pretty good? It could play out two ways, keep Trubisky on bench for a second year/ or set up a potential trade bait for a draft pick? I know, I'm a dreamer....
wab
Mod

46Blitz wrote:Meaningless time sure. Why not? But hopefully we won't hear the retarded chants for QB change(of course we will once there is a single bad game). Hopefully the team sticks to their guns and squash any talk of such change.

On another note, wouldn't it be great if Glennon actually played pretty good? It could play out two ways, keep Trubisky on bench for a second year/ or set up a potential trade bait for a draft pick? I know, I'm a dreamer....
As soon as Glennon has his first multiple pick game, the Trubisky chants will start and people will pretend they loved him the whole time.
Middleguard
MVP

46Blitz wrote:But hopefully we won't hear the retarded chants for QB change.
An absolutely forlorn hope. The Bears start the season with a very tough schedule, which fans won't respect. The entire team, from Virginia down, is going to have to wear noise cancelling headphones all year for sound [sort of a pun] progress of the PLAN.
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

You can very loosely say that Trubisky did this against an NFL defensive scheme...
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

this preseason is going to be great, because he's either going to fucking destroy some 3rd stringers, and what you guys are saying is true... or he's going to look like the player we know isnt ready yet, and then we'll hear non-stop about how much pace fucked up.

I AM AMPED FOR NEXT SEASON WOOOOOOOOOO
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm fucking thrilled, honestly. I was terrified this whole time that Pace wanted a statue QB with 0 ability to extend plays/be a playmaker and he was going to rely on defense and running the ball.

Trubisky has the traits of Derek Carr/Aaron Rodgers (I said traits, not that he will be them), which makes me giddy for the future.

Might have to argue with the wife to change the future pup's name from Watson to Biscuit :lol:
Adipost
MVP

Middleguard wrote:I have no illusions that Trubisky should be mentioned in the same sentence. As Arron Rodgers. And none of us want to wait 3 years for Trubisky to start. But to put this discussion into a Rodgers perspective, in his rookie year Rodgers:
appeared at the end of game 5 in a 52-3 win and threw 1 pass
appeared at the end of game 15 in a 3-48 loss and threw 15 passes
appeared at the end of game 17 and bowed.
He finished his rookie year with 16 Att, 9 Cmp, 65 Yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int, and 3 Sk.

I believe Trubisky can do as well if the Bears choose to give him meaningless time.

SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL

#Bears Ryan Pace: Mike Glennon's our starter and he's going to get the majority of the snaps but its important for Trubisky to get reps.
4:29 PM · May 1, 2017
9 RETWEETS
15 LIKES
docc
Head Coach

I haven't posted until things calmed down a bit..

I see the plan..plus moving up to get a good..maybe even better than good QB prospect..Pace has a plan and the guts to do it.
Don't rush these guys..get them some playing time..see what we got,

We'll see how this plays out..
As I said..this is why I don't post on draft day. Speculations..misdirection and Media crappers..

I liked what Pace did..I listened to all the agita..and now a few days later..

"Uh Pace is a genius"
None of us are betting our future and job..so all the shit talking is just that..
The internet makes Hall of Fame coaches of us all..
G08
Hall of Famer

I was pissed on draft day because I thought we overpaid to move up one pick... but hearing all the noise about how teams wanted to move up for him made me realize this kid was coveted and it really made me respect even more how well Pace played this entire thing out.

Nobody had any idea what he was doing, and he got his dude. Solid fuckin' work.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm excited that Pace had conviction on a QB that he felt was franchise-QB worthy and got his man. You can't fault him for that. Since Trubisky is his guy, then Bears fans should embrace the kid and hope for the best - instead of booing him when he makes his first appearance at a Bulls game. I find it hilarious that all the fans at the Bears draft party were disappointed and angry - I bet you over 80% of those same fans were complaining that Pace hasn't addressed the QB position since he was hired in 2015 and hung onto Cutler too long.

Well, he just addressed the most important position in football - stop being so angry. If this kid turns out to be a star, no one is going to remember that Pace gave up two 3rds and a 4th round pick to get him. They'll be saying how stupid the Browns and Niners were for not drafting Trubisky when they had zero franchise QB caliber players on their roster.

Obviously, if Trubisky turns out to be a huge bust, then Pace will be fired and everyone in the media will have been right.

I get the pessimism with this franchise because quite honestly - they haven't really given us a lot of hope with the laundry list of draft mistakes and bonehead organizational moves. But the negativity is getting really old, I'm so sick of it.

One thing is for certain, it's going to be super entertaining watching how all of this unfolds.
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

I still think our whole off season has been a misguided mess but it's done now so time to get behind the team and try to find something to get excited about.

I do find the whole Pace is crazy, Pace is a genius thing funny though. It's changed back and forth since the draft based on what the Browns (the Browns!) may or may not have done and way, way before any of these players has taken a snap.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Gaytoe
Journeyman

DaSuperfan wrote:I'm excited that Pace had conviction on a QB that he felt was franchise-QB worthy and got his man. You can't fault him for that. Since Trubisky is his guy, then Bears fans should embrace the kid and hope for the best - instead of booing him when he makes his first appearance at a Bulls game. I find it hilarious that all the fans at the Bears draft party were disappointed and angry - I bet you over 80% of those same fans were complaining that Pace hasn't addressed the QB position since he was hired in 2015 and hung onto Cutler too long.

Well, he just addressed the most important position in football - stop being so angry. If this kid turns out to be a star, no one is going to remember that Pace gave up two 3rds and a 4th round pick to get him. They'll be saying how stupid the Browns and Niners were for not drafting Trubisky when they had zero franchise QB caliber players on their roster.

Obviously, if Trubisky turns out to be a huge bust, then Pace will be fired and everyone in the media will have been right.

I get the pessimism with this franchise because quite honestly - they haven't really given us a lot of hope with the laundry list of draft mistakes and bonehead organizational moves. But the negativity is getting really old, I'm so sick of it.

One thing is for certain, it's going to be super entertaining watching how all of this unfolds.
Couldn't agree more about the negativity. At this point, what is done is done and you might as well enjoy the trip. It's unlikely that we make the playoffs (or even hit .500) and Trubisky is going to make the season bearable. Just like that I'm going to be hyped for the preseason games...

I don't think that has ever been true for my time as Bears fan. Granted I've only been watching the Bears religiously for 5-6 years. As a young fan this is as exciting as it gets but from over the years of reading this board it seems like the vets here have been burned one too many times to be able to believe in a franchise QB.

At the very least Bears fans should be cautiously optimistic about our future and we finally have something to watch for this season. Hopefully its the last year of watching a rebuild and it will become more about the wins but who knows. I just want to see the Bears make the playoffs one year while I am a fan, is that really too much to ask?
Pagan
MVP

Weird....

QB's change but the lazy thinking does not.

There's absolutely Zero bravery in always taking the negative/pessimistic view on Any subject.
These are the lame "I told you so people".

You don't have to be a card carrying "meatball" style fan to bring just a bit of optimism to your fanaticism.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I'm fucking thrilled, honestly. I was terrified this whole time that Pace wanted a statue QB with 0 ability to extend plays/be a playmaker and he was going to rely on defense and running the ball.

Trubisky has the traits of Derek Carr/Aaron Rodgers (I said traits, not that he will be them), which makes me giddy for the future.

Might have to argue with the wife to change the future pup's name from Watson to Biscuit :lol:
There is the G08 I know!!
And yeah, I agree, I though Pace was already locked in on drafting Kaaya.

I 100% understand the importance of the QB position. Even more so with the position the bears are in. I like Trubisky at 3, but it's very hard to think what this defense could have been with top rated pass rusher or safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with Trubisky and with Pace targeting the QB position this off season, but I'll definitely be watching Allen, Solomon and hooker to see how they mature as athletes.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
ysleblanc
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:
G08 wrote:[video][/video]
So it's almost looking like Pace is a true genius and fleeced multiple teams all the while not showing his hand on who he's drafting

Rapoport said he talked to 40 plus team sources before the draft and only one of them thought the Bears might take a QB. No one knew what was going to happen - its why everyone was so freaked when it happened.

It seems like Pace played it really well, did not give up much in the end...really only lost a 3rd once all was said and done.

That being said, the draft will hinge on what Trubisky is in 3-4 years. Pace hitched his wagon to Trubisky and to a lesser extent Glennon. If one or both of those guys are top 10-15 NFL quarterbacks then he won his gamble, otherwise he will need to luck out by FA or trade. Unlikely he is GM long enough to draft another young QB with the Bears.

I was NOT a big fan at the time...but looking at a lot of tape of Trubisky, the more I like him. To me he is on par with the two guys last year, his skillset is a bit similar to Wentz. I really like the fact that he is accurate, even more so on the move which is very important in today's NFL. Obviously only having started one year, he might be a bit slower to catch on as a starter. I see him as guy that can be a #8 to 15 QB, a guy you can win a SB with but may not bring you there on his back.
ysleblanc
MVP

Adipost wrote:

Football smart
Solid arm
Athletic/mobile

Yes and no. If things are crap, having him go out and get pounded is not good either. Plus it undermines Glennon.
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

nice ... and seems eloquent ... and a nice polite slap to the media towards the end

and hey - not every other phrase is "you know" ... :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I was vocal before the draft that the only QB I liked was Mitch, but I also knew he wasn't ready to start. I know a lot of people get excited about his going #2 and that he needs to start soon but I disagree. I think he needs to sit his fist year completely except for some garbage time action in blow-outs in either direction. I want him to be developed the old school way, the higher percentage chance of success way. Let him improve his mechanics, his routes and reads, and keep his confidence growing until he is ready to shine. Rushing him too quickly may stunt his growth and batter his confidence - then the picks were wasted. If Glennon is OK, I'm even ok with Mitch sitting 2 years, but certainly his first year.

Also, its kind of hard to whine about the extra picks now since Pace traded back and got extra. We essentially lost a single 3rd rounder now. That's not much if you believe 100% that you've identified your QB of the future.
WinstonB
Rookie

For me, I was surprised by the pick (as most of us were). But I didn't really see Glennon as the long term QB answer - the contract also suggested that. So to jump up and grab the biscuit is something to be excited about. Any player we drafted would be a gamble, so it's nice to take the shot on a QB we can get excited about.

Best case scenario - Mike G has a solid year while Trubisky sits and develops (giving him garbage time / dead rubbers). Trade Mike at the end of the year for assets to use in the 2018 draft.
malk
Head Coach

You know I haven't considered Glennon having a good enough year to flip for a draft pick at the end of the season. It's an expensive way to potentially buy one but if he's better than serviceable it is a movable contract.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
WinstonB
Rookie

A season is a long time, so who knows what kinda demand will be in the market. Always a few teams hunting QBs.

I know the talk already is that the 2018 draft class is more QB heavy, but could still imagine someone giving up something if it meant getting a starter (even if it's just another bridge). Or, maybe even using him to trade up.