R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hematite
Player of the Month

USSGlennon wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Ormazd wrote:Niners fleeced us
Unless he becomes a true franchise QB, then the Niners may have been fleeced. Only time will tell. Pace just guaranteed himself another draft. Only Glennon can save Fox.
. About the way I see it. Unless I just missed them, it's real curious the HC has not been to any Press Conferences regarding the draft. I can't believe he's "in" on this draft so far. Given that several better QB prospects will be on the scene in the 2018 draft, don't get WHY teams are trading up in this draft for less sure franchise QBs when there are so many other highly-rated picks available.
As for the Bears, out of this player-rich draft, after 3 rounds and the better players are now gone, we end up with this QB and take a huge reach on a big and very raw, lumbering TE? That's it?? Just Wow... Free Agency we did reasonably well, but that's not how a team is built. This draft has "TANK" written all over it...
The opposite is just as true... This draft may produce a franchise QB, a baby Gronk and Sproles 2.0. Unlikely yes, but if it happens, watch out. With Jordan Howard running the rock and hopefully Kevin White getting healthy, this offense may surprise. As for the defense, it seems like they have a lot of confidence in Bullard taking the next step. He better.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Trubisky boo'ed at the Bulls game. I'm starting to hate Bears fans as much as Packers Fans.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

USSGlennon wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Ormazd wrote:Niners fleeced us
Unless he becomes a true franchise QB, then the Niners may have been fleeced. Only time will tell. Pace just guaranteed himself another draft. Only Glennon can save Fox.
. About the way I see it. Unless I just missed them, it's real curious the HC has not been to any Press Conferences regarding the draft. I can't believe he's "in" on this draft so far. Given that several better QB prospects will be on the scene in the 2018 draft, don't get WHY teams are trading up in this draft for less sure franchise QBs when there are so many other highly-rated picks available.
As for the Bears, out of this player-rich draft, after 3 rounds and the better players are now gone, we end up with this QB and take a huge reach on a big and very raw, lumbering TE? That's it?? Just Wow... Free Agency we did reasonably well, but that's not how a team is built. This draft has "TANK" written all over it...
In a draft where our GM did what we are not used to..grabbing his balls and going after the QB he believes in... I am going to have to take the opinion of someone who named themselves for the FA QB that this draft is 'tanked' with a grain of salt...or a whole salt lick.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:Trubisky boo'ed at the Bulls game. I'm starting to hate Bears fans as much as Packers Fans.

this is hilarious. our current fan quality level is "Philadelphia Eagles." Thank god it wasnt duracel batter night.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Hematite wrote:Trubisky boo'ed at the Bulls game. I'm starting to hate Bears fans as much as Packers Fans.

this is hilarious. our current fan quality level is "Philadelphia Eagles." Thank god it wasnt duracel batter night.

the base meatball contingent of Bears fans has always been questionable at best, outright inbred belligerent at worst (remember the asshole with the "Bears - finishing what Katrina started" sign?) ... this same group that is booing Glennon and Trubisky is also the same group that was screaming the loudest for Cutler to be gone ... there is no pleasing them because they are clueless about what the sport is all about ... all they want to do is scream about something, ANYTHING, while drooling sauce from their kielbasa down the front of their shirts

so fuck 'em

and hey - nice name change Rusty :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I just don't get why you boo Trubisky. Boo Ryan Pace if you're mad about it. Don't let this kid become soured to the city and fans before he's even played a down.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

My biggest question is : what would the reaction be if the Bears didn't trade up and made him the 3rd overall pick?

Personally, he was one of the 3 or 4 guys I wanted as a fan. Would like to know what the feeling on him would be if the Bears didn't make the trade.

Seems like most of the issues people have is with the trade, not so much the pick.

It seems obvious to me that picking him was the plan from out of the gate. Including the reason of signing Glennon for a "short time" contract. They know Trub isn't ready and want to do what many teams fail to do. Give time to a rookie QB to learn and develop. Most teams make the mistake of throwing guys in there from day one. I actually like that way they are doing this in the QB department. i would have preferred a guy like Romo here for a year or two, but I guess it's not terrible to have another young QB in case things don't go as planned.

Again, I was not a fan of the trade and don't think many are. But what is the opinion of Trub himself?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:My biggest question is : what would the reaction be if the Bears didn't trade up and made him the 3rd overall pick?
we might have still questioned the selection, but not had the reaction we did of the Bears trading up 1 spot to get him

and the reaction isn't about the player - it is about the trade, perceived as one where a rookie GM pantsed an experienced GM
George Carlin
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:
46Blitz wrote:My biggest question is : what would the reaction be if the Bears didn't trade up and made him the 3rd overall pick?
we might have still questioned the selection, but not had the reaction we did of the Bears trading up 1 spot to get him

and the reaction isn't about the player - it is about the trade, perceived as one where a rookie GM pantsed an experienced GM
Maybe I'm a little bias because I kind of wanted him and also had a gut feeling the Bears had him at the top of their list. However I did feel they would trade in the other direction a few spots and pick him a few spots later. But whether it was a smokescreen or just press gossip I can understand trading up to get him (although I couldn't understand trading up for anyone regardless). But year after year we talk about the QB position here and now they make a move for one. There is a question mark behind almost every kid coming out into the draft. Even the "can't misses" become misses. Of course the picks we lost hurt on the surface, but if Trub becomes the QB that brings success to the team nobody will care. I really don't think they gave all that much up IF he becomes what they think he is.

Only time will tell. I'm willing to sit back and be hopeful (and hope he sits at least till the last 1/4 of the season). To help ease the negative feelings of this move. Look at last years draft. They had a great draft class. Much of last seasons failure rested on the injuries and vets not getting it done. iE, cutler, long, Jeffery, and the list goes on. It wasn't on the guys that were brought in through the draft.

My whole point in a nutshell. They made great picks overall the last few seasons, lets see what happens...
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

For anyone questioning/worried about his arm, that's 50 yards off his back foot/falling backwards while taking a shot to the chest.

His arm is solid. It's not Jay Cutler's arm, but it's night and day better than Hoyer/Barkley.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I don't want a QB that is known to have arm strength and throws bombs all day. I want a QB that can make all the throws accurately within 15yds and march down the field. It's a plus if he can take a deep shot here and there.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I want a guy that can win games we are supposed to lose. Via leadership or smarts or arm strength or running. I haven't seen him do anything like that do I don't know why I should believe he can. I don't see him "elevating" our program because the NFCN requires more of you than the ACC requires for you to go to the Sun Bowl. Some of you are happy enough with a guy who doesn't lose games but I want an exceptional QB after such a long wait. I think Mitch will need a good team around him to win consistently and I don't think we have that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
MoFugger
Head Coach

We don't have that yet. But it's not his team yet either.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:I want a guy that can win games we are supposed to lose. Via leadership or smarts or arm strength or running. I haven't seen him do anything like that do I don't know why I should believe he can. I don't see him "elevating" our program because the NFCN requires more of you than the ACC requires for you to go to the Sun Bowl. Some of you are happy enough with a guy who doesn't lose games but I want an exceptional QB after such a long wait. I think Mitch will need a good team around him to win consistently and I don't think we have that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pace was quite clear when he said "there's no QB competition". This is Glennon's team for at least a year or if he gets hurt/is woefully inept under center.
Middleguard
MVP

And might have been his for two years if Cleveland had taken Trubisky and the Bears were forced to wait until '18 for their QB.
G08
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:I don't want a QB that is known to have arm strength and throws bombs all day. I want a QB that can make all the throws accurately within 15yds and march down the field. It's a plus if he can take a deep shot here and there.
He's a very accurate QB.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
46Blitz wrote:I don't want a QB that is known to have arm strength and throws bombs all day. I want a QB that can make all the throws accurately within 15yds and march down the field. It's a plus if he can take a deep shot here and there.
He's a very accurate QB.
And throws on time.

I believe this is a very good situation for Trubisky to become the best QB he can be! No pressure situation, sit back and learn. I can't wait to see what the Bears QB situation has in store.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
UOK
Site Admin

John Fox: "I think he upgrades as a quarterback. I think he’s got accuracy, he’s got mobility, he’s a real fierce competitor. I turn into a scout once football season is over; our whole staff does. We spend half of the day on football and half the day on scouting. That means going on the road like a scout. I mean, we scoured the whole country looking at guys. With Mitchell, I think I loved his demeanor. I loved what he brings as far as a leader and a competitor and obviously the physical tools."
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm trying really, really hard to not put on my fan-boy glasses when it comes to Chicago QBs.

But I really like this kid, and in my defense I've liked him since October of last year.

UOK
Site Admin

I like him a lot, but never figured he'd be such a high priority for Pace. I don't mind the trade at all, either. I recognize the gravity of the gamble, though, and simply hope it pays off. This franchise needs this to pay off.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I like him a lot, but never figured he'd be such a high priority for Pace. I don't mind the trade at all, either. I recognize the gravity of the gamble, though, and simply hope it pays off. This franchise needs this to pay off.

the Bears history at drafting QB's is abysmal, and they haven't gotten it right since McMahon (Harbaugh could have been) ... so one would think simple mathematical probability should favor them at some point, right? the whole blind pig finding the acorn analogy?

can Trubisky be the breaker of the curse? I certainly hope so, but based on Bears history, I'm damn sure not going to bet on it
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I look at it like this:

He's by all accounts a great kid
Football smart
Solid arm
Very accurate with the football
Athletic/mobile
Can extend plays and make accurate throws for myriad platforms (I have such a soft spot for that)
Patient and willing to work on his craft and not be a disruption to the team

These are all HUGE. So what if he sits this year? I'd be thrilled if the only time he took the field was in blowout wins or blowout losses... and that probably won't happen because he'll be QB3 and inactive.

In 2018, let Glennon and him battle for the starting gig.

Pace is going about this correctly, IMO. I don't give a shit anymore about the 3rd and 4th this year plus a 3rd next year. When you look and see who those players were in the past 10 drafts, you'll feel the same way.

G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

G08
Hall of Famer

Pace on Mike and Mike today morning:

[video][/video]

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I'm trying really, really hard to not put on my fan-boy glasses when it comes to Chicago QBs.

But I really like this kid, and in my defense I've liked him since October of last year.
I hear ya! I'm getting excited to see this kid play. I have to keep telling myself it's not going to be for another year. Pace kept telling us he wants a Brees like QB. Off the field, this kid is squeaky clean and is a first guy in, last to leave hard worker. On the field, with Brees in mind, does resemble a lot of Bress traits, down to getting VERY deep into the pocket.

Yeah, I also liked this kid. Re-reading the QB Trubisky prospect thread he was the QB I had the bears taking at #3.
funkster wrote: Thanks for sharing! I really like this kid. If the bears are going to take a QB at 3, he would be my choice.
I would have lost money on Kaaya. Never would have thought he would fall to the 6th round. I really thought he would be in a bears uniform.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:[video][/video]
So it's almost looking like Pace is a true genius and fleeced multiple teams all the while not showing his hand on who he's drafting
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:
G08 wrote:[video][/video]
So it's almost looking like Pace is a true genius and fleeced multiple teams all the while not showing his hand on who he's drafting

Rapoport said he talked to 40 plus team sources before the draft and only one of them thought the Bears might take a QB. No one knew what was going to happen - its why everyone was so freaked when it happened.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I do credit Pace for his ability to ensure nobody had any idea wtf he was up to on draft day until it happened ... in this new godforsaken twitter age, leaks and hints and stories sometimes become public before those involved want them to ... Pace kept all his horses in the corral until it was the time he chose to open the gate

to his dis-credit, he said "you know" way too many times in this interview ... no Ryan, we don't know, which is why we are asking you

but when it is all said and done, if the only real negative regarding this draft is the pet peeve "you know" during interviews about it, then we are golden
George Carlin
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:I look at it like this:

He's by all accounts a great kid
Football smart
Solid arm
Very accurate with the football
Athletic/mobile
Can extend plays and make accurate throws for myriad platforms (I have such a soft spot for that)
Patient and willing to work on his craft and not be a disruption to the team

These are all HUGE. So what if he sits this year? I'd be thrilled if the only time he took the field was in blowout wins or blowout losses... and that probably won't happen because he'll be QB3 and inactive.

In 2018, let Glennon and him battle for the starting gig.

Pace is going about this correctly, IMO. I don't give a shit anymore about the 3rd and 4th this year plus a 3rd next year. When you look and see who those players were in the past 10 drafts, you'll feel the same way.
I love you more and more. I posted Emery's picks earlier to put an exclamation on that point. Well said!
Hematite
Player of the Month

Funny, when the truth comes out, Pace not only might not have been played moving up ONE spot (emphasis for some), he might have been the God Damn Pied Piper the whole time. Love the pick, and love the Glennon signing. As for the rest of the draft, Pace and his boys seem to be on the right track looking back as past drafts. For that I give him the benefit of the doubt! Glad more and more are coming around.