R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4653
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Sun May 07, 2017 11:27 am

Boris13c wrote: Pace knew Cleveland was trying to move up to take him because Pace was talking to Cleveland about the Bears #3 pick ... wonder if Cleveland was also talking to San Fran while the Bears were?
Bears could have gotten a lot from a trade back.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 am

mmmc_35 wrote:
Boris13c wrote: Pace knew Cleveland was trying to move up to take him because Pace was talking to Cleveland about the Bears #3 pick ... wonder if Cleveland was also talking to San Fran while the Bears were?
Bears could have gotten a lot from a trade back.

yes ... but then Pace wouldn't have gotten the guy he coveted
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Contact:
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20142
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He safely drove his POS car to Halas Hall.
Image
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm

How do you not love this kid :lol:
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
46Blitz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Young Romo, hopefully without the injuries.
MoFugger
Head Coach
Posts: 2364
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 11, 2017 5:09 pm

G08 wrote:How do you not love this kid :lol:
I absolutely do love this kid. I am honestly looking forward to you and I agreeing on a Bears QB. I feel like I should send you flowers or something.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

MoFugger wrote:
G08 wrote:How do you not love this kid :lol:
I absolutely do love this kid. I am honestly looking forward to you and I agreeing on a Bears QB. I feel like I should send you flowers or something.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
We liked Barkley didn't we :lol:
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
MoFugger
Head Coach
Posts: 2364
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Sat May 13, 2017 7:39 pm

G08 wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
G08 wrote:How do you not love this kid :lol:
I absolutely do love this kid. I am honestly looking forward to you and I agreeing on a Bears QB. I feel like I should send you flowers or something.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
We liked Barkley didn't we :lol:
Yeah. But that was kind of like being set up with your aunt's hairdressers daughter.
We are in third date territory now.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Contact:
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20142
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm

JoshNorris
29m
Pace brought up Trubisky's ability to extend plays with his athleticism while keeping his eyes up.

I think that was differentiator vs DW

@JoshNorris
Pace used a term I've never heard before...

"Funny Body Throws"

Off balance passes, awkward positions, across your body, etc. "Mitch can."
Image
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

UOK wrote:@JoshNorris
Pace used a term I've never heard before...

"Funny Body Throws"

Off balance passes, awkward positions, across your body, etc. "Mitch can."
that's nice, but hopefully not to be encouraged as a default mode ... I really hope they handle this kid correctly and actually prepare him for life in the NFL
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Contact:
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20142
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Mon May 15, 2017 2:17 pm

http://www.theonion.com/article/im-just ... lMarketing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


CHICAGO—Saying that he is solely focused on becoming the best quarterback possible, a 22-year-old first-round draft pick who will get most of the franchise leadership fired told reporters Monday that he is “just here to win football games.” “Making it to the NFL has always been my dream, and I’m really excited to go out there and have some fun playing the sport I love,” said the second overall pick, whose poor on-field performance and lack of noticeable improvement over the next three years will lead to the terminations of his head coach, offensive coordinator, head scout, GM, and 70 percent of the front office staff before he himself is released the following season. “I just want to show what I’m made of and leave it all out there for the team. I’m ready to prove myself and help take us to the next level.” The draft pick also added he was excited to deliver a championship to the fans that will one day burn his jersey in effigy.
Image
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3060
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:@JoshNorris
Pace used a term I've never heard before...

"Funny Body Throws"

Off balance passes, awkward positions, across your body, etc. "Mitch can."
that's nice, but hopefully not to be encouraged as a default mode ... I really hope they handle this kid correctly and actually prepare him for life in the NFL
I agree and based on the coaches liking Hoyer's style and disliking Cutler's, that's a fair bet. Still, the NFL is a fluid game and occasionally unorthodox plays happen. (I liked that in the Pat Mahomes tape.) Aaron Rodgers isn't in perfect form on every throw and his ability to be creative when things don't go perfectly help him be so good.

I heard something on the radio today by Moon Mullin that I hadn't heard before. Multiple teams were negotiating deal prep to trade up to #5. But when Trubisky came off the board at #2, their phone went silent. That doesn't mean that Trubisky will be good. But it does mean that 2-3 teams thought enough of him to be interested in moving up for him in the top 5. And it really adds fuel to the explanation why Pace needed to jump up to #2 to get him. He was the only top 5 QB on NFL boards, apparently.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4653
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am

Trubisky's Rookie Mini Camp

Man I hope these quotes from NFL scouts are accurate.
Two AFC scouts revealed that they had the highest grade on Trubisky that they’d had on any quarterback over the past six years. That means: higher than Jameis Winston; higher than Marcus Mariota; higher than Cam Newton; higher than Russell Wilson; higher than Andrew Luck; higher than Derek Carr; higher than Carson Wentz.

The evaluation of one NFC regional scouting team was that “Trubisky is an almost perfect quarterback prospect” and that 'the Bears should count their lucky stars he only started 13 games because if he was a two-year starter, he goes 1/1 [overall No. 1] without hesitation.”
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm

UOK wrote:http://www.theonion.com/article/im-just ... lMarketing


CHICAGO—Saying that he is solely focused on becoming the best quarterback possible, a 22-year-old first-round draft pick who will get most of the franchise leadership fired told reporters Monday that he is “just here to win football games.” “Making it to the NFL has always been my dream, and I’m really excited to go out there and have some fun playing the sport I love,” said the second overall pick, whose poor on-field performance and lack of noticeable improvement over the next three years will lead to the terminations of his head coach, offensive coordinator, head scout, GM, and 70 percent of the front office staff before he himself is released the following season. “I just want to show what I’m made of and leave it all out there for the team. I’m ready to prove myself and help take us to the next level.” The draft pick also added he was excited to deliver a championship to the fans that will one day burn his jersey in effigy.

The Onion rocks :headbang:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
Johnny
Rookie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Tue May 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Loved the pick.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Wed May 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Some Trubisky "cut ups"

https://storify.com/JoshNorris/mitch-trubisky-clips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
46Blitz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 pm

G08 -

That clip of Trub throwing the bomb. 60yds seems like a solid arm strength.


I said a million times, Trubisky was "My Guy" for the draft. Didn't like the trade up at the time and was hoping for trade down to get him. But the more time that goes by, I like it more and more. If he pans out, who gives a shit about what they traded away.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 pm

46Blitz wrote:G08 -

That clip of Trub throwing the bomb. 60yds seems like a solid arm strength.


I said a million times, Trubisky was "My Guy" for the draft. Didn't like the trade up at the time and was hoping for trade down to get him. But the more time that goes by, I like it more and more. If he pans out, who gives a shit about what they traded away.
It's a solid arm for sure, more than enough for the NFL.

At the end of the day, it cost us pick #67 and a 2018 3rd rounder. We recouped that 4th round pick by trading down in round 2. I can live with that, honestly.
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 pm

G08 wrote:
46Blitz wrote:G08 -

That clip of Trub throwing the bomb. 60yds seems like a solid arm strength.


I said a million times, Trubisky was "My Guy" for the draft. Didn't like the trade up at the time and was hoping for trade down to get him. But the more time that goes by, I like it more and more. If he pans out, who gives a shit about what they traded away.
It's a solid arm for sure, more than enough for the NFL.

At the end of the day, it cost us pick #67 and a 2018 3rd rounder. We recouped that 4th round pick by trading down in round 2. I can live with that, honestly.
Also got an extra 4th rounder in next year's draft too.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Awesome read on Trubisky:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705 ... nes-asking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

G08 wrote:Awesome read on Trubisky:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705 ... nes-asking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Terrific read - thanks for sharing.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Contact:
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20142
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 am

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/how-mi ... o-perfect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trubisky is a clever dude.
Image
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am

UOK wrote:http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/how-mi ... o-perfect/

Trubisky is a clever dude.
Here's the full article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sport ... JaZg8HGYVh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Contact:
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20142
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/how-mi ... o-perfect/

Trubisky is a clever dude.
Here's the full article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sport ... JaZg8HGYVh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Behind a paywall, so that's why I linked to SM.
Image
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am

UOK wrote:
G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:http://sportsmockery.com/2017/05/how-mi ... o-perfect/

Trubisky is a clever dude.
Here's the full article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/sport ... JaZg8HGYVh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Behind a paywall, so that's why I linked to SM.
It is? It pulled up on my phone fine.
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5049
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Bin 54 ;) Urlacher's #.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Otis Day wrote:Bin 54 ;) Urlacher's #.
Also, we all recall who the last UNC athlete to be drafted top 3 in Chicago was, right?
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5049
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Rabe Walton, 1959 by the Chicago Cardinals?
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Mr. Peppers?
46Blitz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

Sat May 20, 2017 2:05 am

All stars seem to be aligning..... lol

Whatever, though I am a fan of Trub. Pumpmthenfreakin breaks. I have a good felling about all of it, but after all the WTF are the Bears doing? And now he is the next big thing? I mean come on, I'm excited. But....

Maybe I'm a little guarded about it since I'm a longtime Bears fan. I just have a wait and see temperament no matter how much I like it.

Return to “The War Room”