Adipost
MVP

I hate this pick.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Or lost him..
Yup.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I hate this pick.
Why?
Adipost
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I don't know if you guys are familiar with SPARQ and SLAYTECS. They are very accurate formulas that can predict whether a player can thrive in the NFL or if they are just not cut out for the NFL based on several physical and athletic factors. It is very accurate. Basically, if the player falls into the blue group, they will most likely thrive in the NFL based off of the formula. If you fall into the middle group threshold, you at least have the physical and athletic features to make it in the NFL. And then you have the players in the red group, who may have been great in college, but are not cut out to play in the NFL. Our new TE fell into the red group.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I don't know if you guys are familiar with SPARQ and SLAYTECS. They are very accurate formulas that can predict whether a player can thrive in the NFL or if they are just not cut out for the NFL based on several physical and athletic factors. It is very accurate. Basically, if the player falls into the blue group, they will most likely thrive in the NFL based off of the formula. If you fall into the middle group threshold, you at least have the physical and athletic features to make it in the NFL. And then you have the players in the red group, who may have been great in college, but are not cut out to play in the NFL. Our new TE fell into the red group.
This article disagrees with you.
CBS Sports

And this one
SPARQ TE Rank

Just sayin'....
Adipost
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
This article disagrees with you.
CBS Sports

And this one
SPARQ TE Rank

Just sayin'....
https://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/22230743/Slaytics-2017-Final1.pdf
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I'm familiar with SLAYTICS.

But with RAS and several other metric formulas, he's more than fine. I think SLAYTICS is an outlier on this one. Time will tell.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's 25 pounds heavier than anyone on the top of those lists. I think Pace sees him as a checkdown guy or maybe red zone guy.

This is another pick where you figure it's more Pace than Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
FaithInCutler
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:He's 25 pounds heavier than anyone on the top of those lists. I think Pace sees him as a checkdown guy or maybe red zone guy.

This is another pick where you figure it's more Pace than Fox.

This is exactly what I told my buddy when we drafted him. This is the year Pace is building his team, his way. It blows my mind right now, but I sure as hell respect it.

I honest to god think Pace thinks he just drafted Brees and Graham. I hope to hell he is right!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Well, according to those metric stats.... WR Bug Howard should be our next pick.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

My immediate reaction tweet:

I don't know anything about the tight end the Bears just drafted but he looks like a man among boys.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gocards63
Rookie

Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

1. The video highlights are a good representation of how dominate Shaheen was over the past two years. Shaheen has surprisingly good footwork and quickness for someone his size. I actually think he has football speed, meaning I believe he plays faster than his 4.78 40 time. He likes to be physical as you could see in the highlights. He doesn't hesitate to initiate contact.

2. Shaheen has very good hands for a tight end. No question his basketball background is helpful. He does a nice job of catching the ball away from his body. He's excellent at going up for a ball at its highest point. If you have any question about his catching ability, see if you can find video of him running the drill at the combine where they continually throw balls from different directions while running in a straight line. No drops and he stays right on the yard line which is the way they are taught to run this drill.

3. Shaheen is strong! 24 reps at 225 pounds at the combine, tied for the most of any TE at the combine

4. He's a smart dude! 3.9 GPA as a finance major

5. Well liked by his teammates. Respected on campus as an every day type of guy. Not the type of guy who brings baggage with him.

Finally, I want Bears fans to realize while Ashland is Division 2 they are one of the better programs in the country, and play in the GLIAC which is considered one of the top conferences in Division 2. Ashland's Head Coach Lee Owens was an assistant at Ohio St. He's now coached multiple NFL players including Jamie Meder, who is a starting Defensive Lineman for the Browns. In the clip where Shaheen out runs severals DB's the opponent was Ferris State which has been a top 10 team in Division 2 the past few seasons.

The point I'm making is I'm not saying Shaheen played against anywhere close to D1 talent. But I want Bears fans to know at the D2 level he played for a team that won 18 games the past two seasons against upper level D2 competition. He needs work on his run blocking, but I have no doubt he has the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent tight end in the NFL. Congrats on a nice pick by Ryan Pace
Adipost
MVP

gocards63 wrote:Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

1. The video highlights are a good representation of how dominate Shaheen was over the past two years. Shaheen has surprisingly good footwork and quickness for someone his size. I actually think he has football speed, meaning I believe he plays faster than his 4.78 40 time. He likes to be physical as you could see in the highlights. He doesn't hesitate to initiate contact.

2. Shaheen has very good hands for a tight end. No question his basketball background is helpful. He does a nice job of catching the ball away from his body. He's excellent at going up for a ball at its highest point. If you have any question about his catching ability, see if you can find video of him running the drill at the combine where they continually throw balls from different directions while running in a straight line. No drops and he stays right on the yard line which is the way they are taught to run this drill.

3. Shaheen is strong! 24 reps at 225 pounds at the combine, tied for the most of any TE at the combine

5. Well liked by his teammates. Respected on campus as an every day type of guy. Not the type of guy who brings baggage with him.

Finally, I want Bears fans to realize while Ashland is Division 2 they are one of the better programs in the country, and play in the GLIAC which is considered one of the top conferences in Division 2. Ashland's Head Coach Lee Owens was an assistant at Ohio St. He's now coached multiple NFL players including Jamie Meder, who is a starting Defensive Lineman for the Browns. In the clip where Shaheen out runs severals DB's the opponent was Ferris State which has been a top 10 team in Division 2 the past few seasons.

The point I'm making is I'm not saying Shaheen played against anywhere close to D1 talent. But I want Bears fans to know at the D2 level he played for a team that won 18 games the past two seasons against upper level D2 competition. He needs work on his run blocking, but I have no doubt he has the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent tight end in the NFL. Congrats on a nice pick by Ryan Pace
Nice to meet you Adam.
gocards63
Rookie

Adipost wrote:
gocards63 wrote:Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

Nice to meet you Adam.
Whatever...I'm a Cardinals fan who happened to go to Ashland. I figured I would give Bears fans a little info on a this guy. You want to be sarcastic about it...so be it.
malk
Head Coach

Thanks man, nice information (ignore the snark above!).

I think BWM mentioned this above but is there any likelihood that his metrics could improve more than those from top programmes? I.e. that D2 programmes are even further from NFL ones so his strength etc. is more likely to be further from his peak?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

gocards63 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Nice to meet you Adam.
Whatever...I'm a Cardinals fan who happened to go to Ashland. I figured I would give Bears fans a little info on a this guy. You want to be sarcastic about it...so be it.
Ignore him man. We all do. And thanks for the info.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Curious if he ever lined up in the backfield

xyt in the discord chats
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

1. I really wanted Pace to trade down and reclaim some picks after the day 1 mortgage. Goal accomplished, Pace knew what he was doing and obviously had this planned in advance and executed his plan.

2. I LOVE this pic. If you asked me what positions we need, TE would have been after DE, S, CB, T first. However, we do need a legit TE, and this kid has everything it takes. It says in the scouting report that his negatives are hand work - though the Ashland/Arizona fan (thanks for the info man!) reports differently. If that is one of his main knocks, I'm OK - a basketball player with good NFL coaching can definitely grow in that area.

3. This helps Trubisky. Don't think I need illuminate this much, you all get it. If we are going to go grab a QB at #2, then by all means go get some good weapons for him to win with.

This trade down and pick tell me Pace is making 'his team' now, not Foxy's - and to be honest I approve.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I was disappointed in the pick. Not that I dislike the player, but there were still some very good TE's on the board (Hodges, Leggett, Butt) but very few OTs, a position of higher need.

Of course, in the light of day I feel better about it. Partially because of what I'm reading about Shaheen, and partially because some of my higher ranked OL are still available.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've never heard of the guy and was shocked to hear a complete unknown name in R2. The bottom line with this and draft picks in general is... Not one opinion that anyone has today about them matters. What matters is what happens when they get on the field.

I'm open minded. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I didn't know who Nick Kawasaki was last year either.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:My immediate reaction tweet:

I don't know anything about the tight end the Bears just drafted but he looks like a man among boys.
that is pretty much what the few highlights available show too ... looks like a college guy playing against a high school jayvee squad

hope all of that translates into solid NFL level production against equally big boys

on the plus side, at least Pace didn't trade up to get him :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

FWIW - Gil Brandt loved this kid. Gabriel tweeted something about Brandt going to the Ashland pro-day and leaving there saying Shaheen wouldn't make it out of the second round.

This is a 280 pound dude with quick feet and soft hands. He's Kyle Long at TE. I like it.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

You have to scratch your head and wonder if this guy, like many other of our picks this year would have been available later.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

ramentaschen wrote:You have to scratch your head and wonder if this guy, like many other of our picks this year would have been available later.

It was reported that Shaheen was the Broncos pick if he had been there 6 picks later. So, no, he wouldn't have been available later.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
gocards63
Rookie

malk wrote:

Thanks man, nice information (ignore the snark above!).

I think BWM mentioned this above but is there any likelihood that his metrics could improve more than those from top programmes? I.e. that D2 programmes are even further from NFL ones so his strength etc. is more likely to be further from his peak?
I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with the metrics system mentioned in the article. I don't see how it applies as much to a player like Shaheen because he was playing against inferior competition. I follow D2 football closely and the better programs can turn out some good players. The best team in Ashland's conference over the years has been Grand Valley State. Go watch Matt Judon who was drafted by the Ravens last year. That dude is a stud and is the heir apparent to take over for Terrell Suggs. Ashland had two nose tackles start in the NFL over the past few years. Jeris Pendleton who was drafted by the Jags, and Jamie Meder who starts for the Browns. My point is there are players like Shaheen that for one reason or another weren't on a D1 schools radar but came into their own in college and are certainly capable of playing in the NFL. One of Shaheen's options was to transfer to a D1 school since he had already graduated and still had a year of eligibility. I'm sure a number of Power 5 conferences would have recruited him if that would have been the route he chose.

The only metrics I think the scouts can go off of on a guy like Shaheen is what he does at the combine. He lined up with what is one of the strongest TE classes in years, and the consensus was he was the 4th or 5th best TE. Turns out that's exactly where he fell with the number 4 TE going one pick before Shaheen. If I was a Bears fan I would be concerned with a pick like this if Shaheen didn't show he had upper body strength, but he did 27 reps at 225. They took 3 away from him for short arming the rep. 24 reps was tied for the top number for tight ends and was more reps than a number of OL did at the draft. His 3 cone drill time was good, showing he has good footwork. The combine performance was strong enough that 16 teams came to his pro day workout including 5 TE coaches.

When you see that kind of interest, Bears fans can't feel like Pace was in la la land taking Shaheen where he did. Multiple reputable NFL people talked up Shaheen and he was expected to go in the 2nd round. I think you guys have a unique player. Very few guys his size can move like Adam, and he has above average hands for his size. They work on his run blocking and you could have a solid TE that contributes for many years.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

gocards i like you
gocards63
Rookie

RustyTrubisky wrote:gocards i like you
Thank you Rusty. The Bears just picked up a lot of fans in northern Ohio that are sick of watching the freaking Browns stink it up!
Adipost
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:You have to scratch your head and wonder if this guy, like many other of our picks this year would have been available later.

It was reported that Shaheen was the Broncos pick if he had been there 6 picks later. So, no, he wouldn't have been available later.
I don't know if I buy that. Anyway, Denver drafted Jake Butt 100 picks later.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:rofl:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS