R2,P45: Adam Shaheen, TE - Ashland

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

He's definitely Gronk-lite. If we get an OT and a DE I'll be above board on this draft.
MoFugger
Head Coach

He may have been a reach, but the Broncos were high on him. So who knows. He may not have lasted that much longer.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I definitely wanted TE addressed, given the roster and the high quality in the draft.

He's intriguing with nice upside.

But I wonder if we couldn't have waited a decent while longer to get him (or Bucky or Butt)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
docc
Head Coach

Or lost him..
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:I definitely wanted TE addressed, given the roster and the high quality in the draft.

But I wonder if we couldn't have waited a decent while longer to get him (or Bucky or Butt)
Albright sez Denver wanted him. So hard to say.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Definitely aiming for the all potential team.
karhu
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:I definitely wanted TE addressed, given the roster and the high quality in the draft.

That's about where I am. He's got a chance to be terrific, sure, but right now that gives us a fleet of TEs one of whom is a very good receiving prospect but none of whom can block, plus two raw QBs, a line that's getting shaky with injury and age and will likely get shakier when we lose our LT, and very little but question marks at WR. Add a terrific RB, and...that's still not a promising offense. But it'll need to be, because as things stand teams are going to throw all over our defense.

I get that Pace wanted his matchup nightmare after taking an average talent in the first. And I hope he got him. I just don't think that a receiving mismatch at TE offsets our bigger problems. And I'm pretty disappointed that we haven't done more to address those.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like the pick. I love TE's. Especially the big, mean, nasty type that can run and catch. That kid was a man among boys in D-II. I think with some NFL nutrition and strength conditioning, that kid could be a monster. He's got the frame, feet and hands. So many time people say that a player just needs to put on 20 lbs. Some frames can handle weight and muscle, some can't. This kid's frame looks like he could get stacked, and handle it just fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in 2018.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Definitely aiming for the all potential team.
could be worse, bengals putting together the all character team to insure their tradition of first round playoff meltdowns stays intact.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Broncos had him queued up as their next pick.

I like it... 12 personnel in the future? Works for our run game and having two TEs now that can get out in pass routes and hurt you. Also mitigates the loss of Jeffery.

I love it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Adipost
MVP

I hate this pick.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Or lost him..
Yup.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:I hate this pick.
Why?
Adipost
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I don't know if you guys are familiar with SPARQ and SLAYTECS. They are very accurate formulas that can predict whether a player can thrive in the NFL or if they are just not cut out for the NFL based on several physical and athletic factors. It is very accurate. Basically, if the player falls into the blue group, they will most likely thrive in the NFL based off of the formula. If you fall into the middle group threshold, you at least have the physical and athletic features to make it in the NFL. And then you have the players in the red group, who may have been great in college, but are not cut out to play in the NFL. Our new TE fell into the red group.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I don't know if you guys are familiar with SPARQ and SLAYTECS. They are very accurate formulas that can predict whether a player can thrive in the NFL or if they are just not cut out for the NFL based on several physical and athletic factors. It is very accurate. Basically, if the player falls into the blue group, they will most likely thrive in the NFL based off of the formula. If you fall into the middle group threshold, you at least have the physical and athletic features to make it in the NFL. And then you have the players in the red group, who may have been great in college, but are not cut out to play in the NFL. Our new TE fell into the red group.
This article disagrees with you.
CBS Sports

And this one
SPARQ TE Rank

Just sayin'....
Adipost
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
This article disagrees with you.
CBS Sports

And this one
SPARQ TE Rank

Just sayin'....
https://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/22230743/Slaytics-2017-Final1.pdf
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Why?
I'm familiar with SLAYTICS.

But with RAS and several other metric formulas, he's more than fine. I think SLAYTICS is an outlier on this one. Time will tell.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's 25 pounds heavier than anyone on the top of those lists. I think Pace sees him as a checkdown guy or maybe red zone guy.

This is another pick where you figure it's more Pace than Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
FaithInCutler
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:He's 25 pounds heavier than anyone on the top of those lists. I think Pace sees him as a checkdown guy or maybe red zone guy.

This is another pick where you figure it's more Pace than Fox.

This is exactly what I told my buddy when we drafted him. This is the year Pace is building his team, his way. It blows my mind right now, but I sure as hell respect it.

I honest to god think Pace thinks he just drafted Brees and Graham. I hope to hell he is right!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Well, according to those metric stats.... WR Bug Howard should be our next pick.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

My immediate reaction tweet:

I don't know anything about the tight end the Bears just drafted but he looks like a man among boys.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gocards63
Rookie

Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

1. The video highlights are a good representation of how dominate Shaheen was over the past two years. Shaheen has surprisingly good footwork and quickness for someone his size. I actually think he has football speed, meaning I believe he plays faster than his 4.78 40 time. He likes to be physical as you could see in the highlights. He doesn't hesitate to initiate contact.

2. Shaheen has very good hands for a tight end. No question his basketball background is helpful. He does a nice job of catching the ball away from his body. He's excellent at going up for a ball at its highest point. If you have any question about his catching ability, see if you can find video of him running the drill at the combine where they continually throw balls from different directions while running in a straight line. No drops and he stays right on the yard line which is the way they are taught to run this drill.

3. Shaheen is strong! 24 reps at 225 pounds at the combine, tied for the most of any TE at the combine

4. He's a smart dude! 3.9 GPA as a finance major

5. Well liked by his teammates. Respected on campus as an every day type of guy. Not the type of guy who brings baggage with him.

Finally, I want Bears fans to realize while Ashland is Division 2 they are one of the better programs in the country, and play in the GLIAC which is considered one of the top conferences in Division 2. Ashland's Head Coach Lee Owens was an assistant at Ohio St. He's now coached multiple NFL players including Jamie Meder, who is a starting Defensive Lineman for the Browns. In the clip where Shaheen out runs severals DB's the opponent was Ferris State which has been a top 10 team in Division 2 the past few seasons.

The point I'm making is I'm not saying Shaheen played against anywhere close to D1 talent. But I want Bears fans to know at the D2 level he played for a team that won 18 games the past two seasons against upper level D2 competition. He needs work on his run blocking, but I have no doubt he has the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent tight end in the NFL. Congrats on a nice pick by Ryan Pace
Adipost
MVP

gocards63 wrote:Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

1. The video highlights are a good representation of how dominate Shaheen was over the past two years. Shaheen has surprisingly good footwork and quickness for someone his size. I actually think he has football speed, meaning I believe he plays faster than his 4.78 40 time. He likes to be physical as you could see in the highlights. He doesn't hesitate to initiate contact.

2. Shaheen has very good hands for a tight end. No question his basketball background is helpful. He does a nice job of catching the ball away from his body. He's excellent at going up for a ball at its highest point. If you have any question about his catching ability, see if you can find video of him running the drill at the combine where they continually throw balls from different directions while running in a straight line. No drops and he stays right on the yard line which is the way they are taught to run this drill.

3. Shaheen is strong! 24 reps at 225 pounds at the combine, tied for the most of any TE at the combine

5. Well liked by his teammates. Respected on campus as an every day type of guy. Not the type of guy who brings baggage with him.

Finally, I want Bears fans to realize while Ashland is Division 2 they are one of the better programs in the country, and play in the GLIAC which is considered one of the top conferences in Division 2. Ashland's Head Coach Lee Owens was an assistant at Ohio St. He's now coached multiple NFL players including Jamie Meder, who is a starting Defensive Lineman for the Browns. In the clip where Shaheen out runs severals DB's the opponent was Ferris State which has been a top 10 team in Division 2 the past few seasons.

The point I'm making is I'm not saying Shaheen played against anywhere close to D1 talent. But I want Bears fans to know at the D2 level he played for a team that won 18 games the past two seasons against upper level D2 competition. He needs work on his run blocking, but I have no doubt he has the physical and mental makeup to be an excellent tight end in the NFL. Congrats on a nice pick by Ryan Pace
Nice to meet you Adam.
gocards63
Rookie

Adipost wrote:
gocards63 wrote:Bears fans...I'm an Ashland grad who follows the Eagles closely and has seen Shaheen play in person multiple times and watches every Ashland game on tv or online:

Nice to meet you Adam.
Whatever...I'm a Cardinals fan who happened to go to Ashland. I figured I would give Bears fans a little info on a this guy. You want to be sarcastic about it...so be it.
malk
Head Coach

Thanks man, nice information (ignore the snark above!).

I think BWM mentioned this above but is there any likelihood that his metrics could improve more than those from top programmes? I.e. that D2 programmes are even further from NFL ones so his strength etc. is more likely to be further from his peak?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

gocards63 wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Nice to meet you Adam.
Whatever...I'm a Cardinals fan who happened to go to Ashland. I figured I would give Bears fans a little info on a this guy. You want to be sarcastic about it...so be it.
Ignore him man. We all do. And thanks for the info.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Curious if he ever lined up in the backfield

xyt in the discord chats
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

1. I really wanted Pace to trade down and reclaim some picks after the day 1 mortgage. Goal accomplished, Pace knew what he was doing and obviously had this planned in advance and executed his plan.

2. I LOVE this pic. If you asked me what positions we need, TE would have been after DE, S, CB, T first. However, we do need a legit TE, and this kid has everything it takes. It says in the scouting report that his negatives are hand work - though the Ashland/Arizona fan (thanks for the info man!) reports differently. If that is one of his main knocks, I'm OK - a basketball player with good NFL coaching can definitely grow in that area.

3. This helps Trubisky. Don't think I need illuminate this much, you all get it. If we are going to go grab a QB at #2, then by all means go get some good weapons for him to win with.

This trade down and pick tell me Pace is making 'his team' now, not Foxy's - and to be honest I approve.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I was disappointed in the pick. Not that I dislike the player, but there were still some very good TE's on the board (Hodges, Leggett, Butt) but very few OTs, a position of higher need.

Of course, in the light of day I feel better about it. Partially because of what I'm reading about Shaheen, and partially because some of my higher ranked OL are still available.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've never heard of the guy and was shocked to hear a complete unknown name in R2. The bottom line with this and draft picks in general is... Not one opinion that anyone has today about them matters. What matters is what happens when they get on the field.

I'm open minded. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.