2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

This is a weird feeling. After all the crazy trades and free agency deals throughout the NFL, it's like...ok, do we even need to have the draft now.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Anyone else curious what knucklehead is going to get busted for something stupid before the draft?
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Nelson goes top 6 and we pick one of Davenport or Edmunds.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:I think Nelson goes top 6 and we pick one of Davenport or Edmunds.
Probably a safe bet. There is a very, very small part of me that has a feeling Pace attempts to trade UP with the Broncos at 5 if Chubb is still available. I don't know what he'd be giving up or even if the Broncos would be interested - but I do have a small feeling that he tries.
Never Die Easy
Adipost
MVP

The MMQB's Albert Breer notes multiple evaluators have compared Georgia LB Roquan Smith to Ray Lewis.
We won't go that far, but it shows how much some value his game. We think he's the easiest evaluation of the linebacker group and possible top 10 pick. He's a plug and play off ball linebacker that makes sense for the Colts, Bears, Raiders or 49ers.
Source: SI.com
Adipost
MVP

Best mock I’ve seen so far, great reasoning on each pick...

[video][/video]
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

ugh, right off the bat, the whole "bills take josh allen at 2 because he's used to bad weather" is just stupid.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:ugh, right off the bat, the whole "bills take josh allen at 2 because he's used to bad weather" is just stupid.
It's Colin Cowherd. Stupid is his brand.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/09/nfl-d ... peter-king" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gil Brandt says McGlinchy's a top 10 pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

Of the 40 starting guards in the past 10 Super Bowls, only four were first-round picks. Nine were undrafted free agents. In fact, exactly half (20) were drafted in the fourth round or later. Even excluding the undrafted guys, the starting guards in the last 10 Super Bowls were drafted an average of 104th overall — a pick that usually is early in the fourth round.
Pretty much echos my sentiment to a T.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/09/nfl-d ... peter-king

I have him penciled in for the Raiders at 10, so this wouldn't surprise me. Raiders need to get Carr more time and be able to have a little push on that right side for Lynch.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Arden Key visiting the Bears

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/key" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Arden Key visiting the Bears

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/key" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gross
UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet

#SMU WR Courtland Sutton is visiting the #Eagles today, source said, and he has a workout this weekend with the #Bears. Among the other teams to get private time with him: #Patriots, #Saints, and #Cowboys.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to think we would be stupid not to draft one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, or James at #8.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ward is a completely different player...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:I'm starting to think we would be stupid not to draft one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, or James at #8.
You care to share your reasons why?
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I'm starting to think we would be stupid not to draft one of Ward, Fitzpatrick, or James at #8.
The only reason I'm drafting James is if for whatever reason the Bears don't think the highest rated safety in the NFL is part of their future plans.

I could get on board with Fitzpatrick if they think he's a corner (I do) or Ward if they don't have a long term plan next to Fuller, but Amukamara is making decent money for the next few years. I guess maybe they'd both be an upgrade over Callahan. But... as I've been saying for a while now, #8 is awfully high for a part time player.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:
Just the overall talent of the player. Ward is ridiculously sticky as a corner, has outstanding feet, and he's a lot tougher than I expected out of someone his size. I think you can play around with him at nickel or kick him outside and have Fuller slide in at nickel... makes the defense better because we were in sub packages something like 65% of the time last season. The 3rd corner ostensibly is a starter.

Fitzpatrick/James... hybrid defender. I think they can play the run and they can cover slot WRs and TEs. I think it makes your defense that much better, more versatile, and you aren't subbing in and out as much based on what an offense is trying to do to you schematically.

I should say that my OP was with the understanding Nelson wasn't going to be there at 8. I just want BPA... I've been trying to pigeon-hole 'need' and in my mind I am noticing it has caused me to elevate Davenport and Edmunds.

Adipost
MVP

Give him a break, he’s 85 years old...

Gil Brandt
Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt
@SI_PeterKing I'm getting killed on Twitter. I didn't realize you were asking me a prediction for the top 10. I thought you asked what would surprise me most in top 10. I would be shocked if McGlinchey went in top 10. I wouldn't be shocked if he slid out of Round 1.
4:19 PM · Apr 9, 2018
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:

Gil Brandt
Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt
@SI_PeterKing I'm getting killed on Twitter. I didn't realize you were asking me a prediction for the top 10. I thought you asked what would surprise me most in top 10. I would be shocked if McGlinchey went in top 10. I wouldn't be shocked if he slid out of Round 1.

oh ok gotcha. then if you asked me the same question, i'd be very surprised if adipost went in the top 10.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Adipost wrote:

Gil Brandt
Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt

oh ok gotcha. then if you asked me the same question, i'd be very surprised if adipost went in the top 10.
OV-ER-RATE-ED!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hematite
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:
Hematite wrote:
Just the overall talent of the player. Ward is ridiculously sticky as a corner, has outstanding feet, and he's a lot tougher than I expected out of someone his size. I think you can play around with him at nickel or kick him outside and have Fuller slide in at nickel... makes the defense better because we were in sub packages something like 65% of the time last season. The 3rd corner ostensibly is a starter.

Fitzpatrick/James... hybrid defender. I think they can play the run and they can cover slot WRs and TEs. I think it makes your defense that much better, more versatile, and you aren't subbing in and out as much based on what an offense is trying to do to you schematically.

I should say that my OP was with the understanding Nelson wasn't going to be there at 8. I just want BPA... I've been trying to pigeon-hole 'need' and in my mind I am noticing it has caused me to elevate Davenport and Edmunds.
With Edmunds being compared to Urlacher and Barr, are you really elevating him? We personally don't know how he would look rushing the QB from the edge and know whether or not he would be effective, but I'm pretty sure Pace, Nagy and Fangio have put him through drills to get an idea. Edmunds can dominate even from the inside, what does he become if he can also rush the QB from the edge?
Adipost
MVP

What Todd Mcshay would do if he were the Bears GM:

Chicago Bears

Round 1 (8): Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia

Round 2 (39): Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State

The Bears still need pieces on their defense and Smith provides a three-down, sideline-to-sideline linebacker. He's a plug-and-play starter who has excellent leadership. Price tore his left biceps at the combine (expected to be out four months), or else he'd go higher than this. He's a two-time team captain who set the Ohio State record for consecutive starts with 55. Chicago gets two solid players here.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:What Todd Mcshay would do if he were the Bears GM:

Chicago Bears

Round 1 (8): Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia

Round 2 (39): Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State

The Bears still need pieces on their defense and Smith provides a three-down, sideline-to-sideline linebacker. He's a plug-and-play starter who has excellent leadership. Price tore his left biceps at the combine (expected to be out four months), or else he'd go higher than this. He's a two-time team captain who set the Ohio State record for consecutive starts with 55. Chicago gets two solid players here.
Depending on who was available at 8, it's hard to complain about these picks if that were the case. I'd be happy with both.
Never Die Easy
cblaz11
MVP

I really like Price in the 2nd if he's there.
Adipost
MVP

What Mel Kiper would do if he were Bears GM...

Chicago Bears

Round 1 (8): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

Round 2 (39): Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia

Nelson makes a ton of sense in Chicago, as his former position coach at Notre Dame, Harry Hiestand, joined the Bears this offseason. I expect Chicago to take a close look at Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, too.

As I wrote in my two-round mock there's a chance Carter goes in Round 1. Cornerback is another position to watch at No. 39.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rumors!
The top 10 players on many boards around the league right now are the four quarterbacks, Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Quenton Nelson, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward and Roquan Smith.

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James do not crack the top 10 on many boards, and most in the league believe they will be selected somewhere between picks 11 and 20.

Boards at the tight end position are all over the place, and we’ll explore that tomorrow, while the receivers could be in for a surprise on draft day as many will slide further than expected.

The belief is that the Chicago Bears will be in prime position to trade down from the eighth spot regardless of whether the top four quarterbacks are off the board. The Bears would like to recoup some of the selections they gave away one year ago after moving up to select quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

The offer will have to be significant if either Nelson or Ward is available when the Bears are called to the clock, as the team is very high on both players.

Depending how far the Bears trade down, assuming they do, expect Isaiah Oliver to be one player they consider selecting. I’m told the team is picking the brain of University of Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, who held the same position at Colorado, about Oliver’s next-level potential.

Leavitt is a close friend of Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and has been relied on in the past for information on players he coached at Colorado such as Chidobe Awuzie and Ahkello Witherspoon. Word is that he’s giving the Bears rave reviews on Oliver.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Rumors!
The top 10 players on many boards around the league right now are the four quarterbacks, Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Quenton Nelson, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward and Roquan Smith.

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James do not crack the top 10 on many boards, and most in the league believe they will be selected somewhere between picks 11 and 20.

Boards at the tight end position are all over the place, and we’ll explore that tomorrow, while the receivers could be in for a surprise on draft day as many will slide further than expected.

The belief is that the Chicago Bears will be in prime position to trade down from the eighth spot regardless of whether the top four quarterbacks are off the board. The Bears would like to recoup some of the selections they gave away one year ago after moving up to select quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

The offer will have to be significant if either Nelson or Ward is available when the Bears are called to the clock, as the team is very high on both players.

Depending how far the Bears trade down, assuming they do, expect Isaiah Oliver to be one player they consider selecting. I’m told the team is picking the brain of University of Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, who held the same position at Colorado, about Oliver’s next-level potential.

Leavitt is a close friend of Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and has been relied on in the past for information on players he coached at Colorado such as Chidobe Awuzie and Ahkello Witherspoon. Word is that he’s giving the Bears rave reviews on Oliver.

Speaking of Isaiah Oliver:

[video][/video]
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

If the Bears did draft Ward, I'd assume that means Amukamara plays more of that "big nickle" role?