View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am 
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Assuming both corners are brought back (or it's not otherwise addressed in FA), it really should be OL or pass rusher. That's where the value appears to be at #8.

Plus, pace has shown conviction in the draft, especially in R1, so he doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to drop down unless some team really makes it worth his while.

On the flip side, if we only bring Fuller back I reallllllllllly like the Iowa kid, Josh Jackson.

Same. He's legit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 pm 
Assistant Coach

Love Josh Jackson. He's got tons of ability as a CB1 in the NFL. As for a trade back, I think it depends on the offer and if they're comfortable moving down in the draft at that point. If there's a player that Pace has targeted and is available - then I think he stands pat and drafts his guy.

If we can re-sign Fuller and Amukamara, sign a FA WR and maybe an upgrade at OT over Massie, then I'd focus on Edge Rusher or OL with the 1st pick.

I really like Harold Landry as a 34 edge rusher and I think people are sleeping on him a bit. I like him better than Ferrell in the 34 scheme. Also, you can't go wrong with Nelson even though he's a guard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:07 pm 
Head Coach

We're crying out for pass rush, it's head and shoulders above any other priority for me. Yes a corner will be important if we don't resign Fuller and Amukamara but those resignings are a priority for me. The offensive line needs to get better but it was fine before injuries. Talk of Leno and Massie is less important to me than what we're going to do with Long and Sitton, there's a lot of cap space tied up in those two guards.

I'll trust Pace though, I love speculating about the draft but there's definitely a comfort in having loads of confidence in Pace to make the right decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm 
MVP

Maybe

Right now, looks like the Bears are rightat the edge of where there's a big drop in talent from one tier to the next.

If a Tier 1 edge rusher makes it to 8, I think you have to bite.

If an in-demand QB lasts to 8, you have to look seriously at trade offers.

If the top tier QBs and OLBs are gone, you fish around and see if there's anyone that wants something at 9 (McGlinchey & Fitzpatrick being the most 'unique'/valuable commodities I see around that area).

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 am 
Assistant Coach

As long as the draft stays true to the mocks in terms of positions selected. Obviously no mock should be expected to be accurate, but there are gonna be a shit-ton of QBs taken before our turn. We are going to be able to draft an impactful player on defense and have a good selection to choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 am 
Mod

Everyone bags on Massie, but the funny thing is that he was the Bears best offensive linemen for the majority of the season, and is actually the best fit in Nagy's offense.

If the Bears are looking to move on from him, it's because of the money he's making, not necessarily because of his play.

Aside from that, if they want to upgrade the OL, it's the interior they need to be looking at. Sitton missed 7 games and is making a ton of money, Long is nearing 30 and ended another year on IR. Whitehair should be ok. Leno just got paid, but is he a good fit on the edge now, or is he better inside?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am 
Crafty Veteran

I could see packaging our pick to trade for a player in a trade down scenario. Like if we want Demarcus Lawrence and the Cowboys tag him...maybe offer to drop to 19 in order to trade for Lawrence.

But that is the only way I'd like to move back in some kind of 2 for 1 where we get a player and the pick in exchange.

I see us having a ton of cap space and while building through the draft is quaint...most teams still need a big trade or FA splash to solidify rosters.

I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Everyone bags on Massie, but the funny thing is that he was the Bears best offensive linemen for the majority of the season, and is actually the best fit in Nagy's offense.

If the Bears are looking to move on from him, it's because of the money he's making, not necessarily because of his play.

Aside from that, if they want to upgrade the OL, it's the interior they need to be looking at. Sitton missed 7 games and is making a ton of money, Long is nearing 30 and ended another year on IR. Whitehair should be ok. Leno just got paid, but is he a good fit on the edge now, or is he better inside?

Leno Nelson Whitehair Long Massie ?

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 pm 
Player of the Month

I think its time to take a page out of the Patriots draft strategy and start loading up on mid round draft picks. I think stats prove that quantity of picks especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (1st would be ideal, but you'd have to suck long and hard aka the Browns) is a safer and better strategy over the long haul than trading away picks to move up. Also, having Trubisky, the franchise QB on the roster makes this a much easier strategy.

So yes, in my mind, its time for the Bears to start trading back in future drafts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm 
Mod

G08 wrote:
Leno Nelson Whitehair Long Massie ?

I’m good with that for now, but I think only Whitehair and Nelson are a part of that group in two years. The Bears need to prepare for life after Long, Massie is entering the last year of his deal, and I’m worried about a precipitous drop off in performance at LT in this system (I hope I’m wrong about that last part). Is Lee or Morgan going to take a step and replace Long someday?

Nelson is a good pick because he can play either guard spot and either tackle spot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next