BFO Scouting WR

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Post your thoughts on this year's WR group.

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State

- Washington is an interesting prospect. He looks more like a running back then a WR. He has speed to take the top off a defense, catches the ball cleanly, wins 50/50 balls, and is dangerous after the catch. He plays in a spread system so his route tree is limited. He doesn't run clean routes. When watching him he rounds off a lot of stuff using speed for separation. I can't think of a player with his skill, and body type in the NFL. He plays like a thick Steve Smith, but it's not a great comp. In the end this kid is a playmaker.

NFL DRAFT DIAMONDS

THE DRAFTSTER

FANSIDED

HIGHLIGHTS

EVERY CATCH 2017
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

- He is the safest WR in this draft. Good height and length. Starts stops cuts on a dime. Possibly the fastest WR in the draft. Attacks the ball in the air, clean hand catcher. Runs super crisp routes. Pro style system, can go deep or across the middle. Athletic as anyone out there. Only thing is he is slightly built and does have some drops. He may not be the best WR of of this class in 10 years, but he will be good.

WALTER FOOTBALL

2016 DANIEL JEREMIAH

BREAKING FOOTBALL
EVERY CATCH 2017
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I really like the following players for our offense in no particular order (but only like them in R2 or later):

Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M
James Washington WR Oklahoma State
Anthony Miller WR Memphis
DJ Moore WR Maryland
KeKe Coutee WR Texas Tech
Dante Pettis WR Washington

I prefer we sign a FA WR and then add another WR through the draft. But the WR through the draft should be a speed threat. Our offense lacks playmaking speed with Tarik Cohen the only weapon we have that has the ability to take it the distance on any given play. Looking at Nagy's offense in KC, he likes the speedier WR profile such as Tyreek Hill. My first preference is Christian Kirk because I think he fits that mold to a tee. He's a threat in the pass game and is also a major threat in the return game. Kirk and Cohen would terrorize opponents from a ST standpoint.

Outside of Kirk, I really like Anthony Miller. He really reminds me a little of Antonio Brown. Not saying he'll be as good as Brown, but they have similar traits.

DJ Moore is another interesting prospect as he plays a little bigger than his size would suggest. Has the speed but also the leaping ability to win 50/50 balls.

I think this WR class isn't really top heavy with premier R1 talent. I like Ridley but not enough to draft him with a top 10 pick. I think this years class has more value from R2-R4 - which is where I'm hoping Pace decides to draft one. If we do decide to draft a R1 WR, then I hope it's in a trade down with Buffalo where we could potentially acquire the 21st and 22nd picks as compensation.
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

- He is the safest WR in this draft. Good height and length. Starts stops cuts on a dime. Possibly the fastest WR in the draft. Attacks the ball in the air, clean hand catcher. Runs super crisp routes. Pro style system, can go deep or across the middle. Athletic as anyone out there. Only thing is he is slightly built and does have some drops. He may not be the best WR of of this class in 10 years, but he will be good.

WALTER FOOTBALL

2016 DANIEL JEREMIAH

BREAKING FOOTBALL
EVERY CATCH 2017
Safest WR implies constant above average production as a floor...and for my money, I still think it's Sutton.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Post your thoughts on this year's WR group.

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State

- Washington is an interesting prospect. He looks more like a running back then a WR. He has speed to take the top off a defense, catches the ball cleanly, wins 50/50 balls, and is dangerous after the catch. He plays in a spread system so his route tree is limited. He doesn't run clean routes. When watching him he rounds off a lot of stuff using speed for separation. I can't think of a player with his skill, and body type in the NFL. He plays like a thick Steve Smith, but it's not a great comp. In the end this kid is a playmaker.

NFL DRAFT DIAMONDS

THE DRAFTSTER

FANSIDED

HIGHLIGHTS

EVERY CATCH 2017
I know every draft analyst likes to compare a prospect to a player, but Steve Smith was a lethal weapon and a warrior. That guy had mad skills.

Its not changing my mind on the draft choice at all (#8 should be BPA with a lean towards defense because of who will be taken at #1-7), but I saw that comparison and was like damn.

If you could turn on the flux capacitor and get a WR in their prime to play for us now, you could do a lot worse than Steve Smith in his prime. You could admittedly do better, but you could do a lot worse.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am not saying Washington is Smith, but there is something about his game that reminds me of Smith. I can't really articulate it. Smith while undersized won contested passes as does Washington. Both also have unique after catch ability. Washington might not have quite the lateral agility as Smith, but both seem to be tough WR.

As for Sutton v Ridley as the safest. Ridley comes from a professional program, played top competition, with a pro offense, and runs exceptional routes. While Sutton physically is impressive he walks in with none of the extras stated above
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Guys from Fantrax break down top 3 WR's
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My response to 3mc...can't teach size and athletic ability. Trubisky needs a true #1, and I don't think Ridley is that guy, despite his pro style offense (which does give him a leg up and would push him to the top priority wise if we still had Fox and Loggains, but with the new staff, I take the raw talent and tell my coaches to mold him---Sutton Comps very well to Dez Bryant)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

To me Sutton is best wr in draft. I would take him at 8 though ideally could get him if we traded down few spots as well. But there are some other guys that can be solid in the later rounds as well.
Hematite
Player of the Month

I'm riding with DaSuperfan on this one. Do not draft a WR in round 1.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Hematite wrote:I'm riding with DaSuperfan on this one. Do not draft a WR in round 1.
I hate the idea of drafting a WR in the top 10.

But I don't see a FA that can be had that would give Trubisky a true number 1. Barring a trade, I'm bracing for Pace to take another top 10 WR, and I think Sutton is the best option.

I think we CAN upgrade our O line, secondary and LB'ers with FA.
wab
Mod

I don't want a WR in round 1. Like at all. This offense is all about quickness (not pure speed). Running good routes, getting in and out of breaks quickly, reading the QB and adjusting routes accordingly.

That's not Washington. Ridley is one of the better route runners in the draft, but he's slight and not overly quick. Miller and Kirk are probably the best overall fits for what the Bears will be looking for.

And I honestly think that there are guys on the roster that fit better in Nagy's offense (at least what KC did) than they fit in Fox/Loggains' offense. Wheaton is one of them, so is Meredith. Wright also fits. Inman not so much. Surprisingly, Bellamay translates pretty well.

With the exception of the Terrell Owens mess, Reid's offenses have never really featured a true #1 so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:I don't want a WR in round 1. Like at all. This offense is all about quickness (not pure speed). Running good routes, getting in and out of breaks quickly, reading the QB and adjusting routes accordingly.

That's not Washington. Ridley is one of the better route runners in the draft, but he's slight and not overly quick. Miller and Kirk are probably the best overall fits for what the Bears will be looking for.

And I honestly think that there are guys on the roster that fit better in Nagy's offense (at least what KC did) than they fit in Fox/Loggains' offense. Wheaton is one of them, so is Meredith. Wright also fits. Inman not so much. Surprisingly, Bellamay translates pretty well.

With the exception of the Terrell Owens mess, Reid's offenses have never really featured a true #1 so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
We can argue scheme and fit all day long, but the honest truth is that we don't know what Nagy's scheme really is. Oh we CAN be sure of certain elements that we will see. But maybe Reid/Nagy have had to do with less, not that they had a great scheme and needed certain players to fit it.

To me that is the exact opposite reason why we were all excited for Nagy's hire...not that he is bringing a good scheme, but that he will tailor the offense to the talent we have...starting with Trubisky.

KC's offense realistically featured Travis Kelce. Kelce is very good at TE, but he's not the fastest guy or the best route runner. So, I'm sure that Nagy can scheme a bigger WR who can run better than average routes and win battles at the point of attack.
wab
Mod

Regardless, Courtland Sutton isn't worth the #8 pick in this draft.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:Regardless, Courtland Sutton isn't worth the #8 pick in this draft.
I agree.
Neither was Kevin White worth a top 10 pick.
But if Pace feels he nailed FA and addresses every pressing need, WR is a luxury pick to give to a young OC and QB and Sutton IMO is the best option.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

This is such a weirdly absurd conclusion to jump to, but i've seen it before. If an offense has success without a clearly defined #1 receiver, some people are quick to say "well, his offense doesnt require a true #1" as if they actually prefer not having a dominant receiver.

When Kelce went down (their de facto #1) and they could do nothing for the entire second half, I'm pretty sure Nagy wasnt glad he was left without a go-to wr.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: That's not Washington. Ridley is one of the better route runners in the draft, but he's slight and not overly quick. Miller and Kirk are probably the best overall fits for what the Bears will be looking for.
It depends on Washington. If he shows ability to learn routes, and can clean up his breaks, he fits the KC style very well.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Christian Kirk, WR , Texas A&M

- fast, quick, elusive. Kirk can be your kick returner and slot WR. He makes everyone around him look slow. The routes he does run are crisp. I worry that he body catches most passes. However on out routes he does snag the ball away from him. That's a good sign as tracking the ball over your shoulder and catching it away from you is tough.

THE DRAFTSTER

FANSIDED

2017 Season

2016 HIGHLIGHTS
WagonForce
MVP

Kiper has the Bears drafting WR Calvin Ridley at #8 in his first 2018 mock draft.

He has G Quenton Nelson going at #7.

I'd love to get Trubisky some additional weapons and think it could have a huge ripple effect on the whole offense, but I would be pretty disappointed with a WR in the first, barring a trade down scenario.
G08
Hall of Famer

WagonForce wrote:Kiper has the Bears drafting WR Calvin Ridley at #8 in his first 2018 mock draft.

I'd love to get Trubisky some additional weapons and think it could have a huge ripple effect on the whole offense, but I would be pretty disappointed with a WR in the first, barring a trade down scenario.
I'll be stunned if we take a WR at pick #8.

After a trade down? Sure. But at 8? I see a pass rusher, corner, or OT there.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So far from what I have watched and read, they're are several really interesting WR's but none of them are top 10 guys. Several 15-30 talents though. I would expect a good talent there in the second.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

WagonForce wrote:Kiper has the Bears drafting WR Calvin Ridley at #8 in his first 2018 mock draft.

He also had Josh Allen going #1. Kiper is a drama queen looking to stir the pot.

If the draft fell that way I'd take Harold Landry or Josh Jackson.
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Courtland Sutton , WR , SUM

- Sutton is one of those guys who has really good traits, and can do a lot of things really well. However at this point he doesn't have an elite skill you can point to. He is faster then quick and has plenty of each. He is long taller has a NFL build. He runs good routes, that have improved over last year. He uses his body to shield. He doesn't have natural hands. He double clutches but gets the job done. Physically, skill wise, athletically, technically he is very good. He reminds me of a tad more athletic T.J. Houshmenzada (sp?). I think he can be a number 1 WR, but would benefit from having others around him.

WITH THE FIRST PICK

FANSIDED

WALTERFOOTBALL

COMPLETE 2017

2016 HIGHLIGHTS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Anthony Miller

- So some web sites have him as a first rounder which I disagree with. His height and frame are negatives. He ruins like his hair is on fire. Has good hands. Makes amazing cuts. Super quick but top end might not be great. Very emotional player. Former walk on with great work ethic

With The First Pick

ANTHONY MILLER SCOUTING

ANTHONY MILLER 2017

Anthony Miller 2016
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

:| Equanimeous St. Brown

- I ended up watching way to many Notre Dame games. In my opinion ESB is one of those better NFL players then College player. He has every skill/ability you want. Yet in college he didn't produce. For a number of reasons. Tall long good hands rings good routes long strider whom is fast etc.

Walter Football

Draft Blaster

2017 Highlights

2016 Highlights
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cblaz11
MVP

I really like Tate from FSU..Big body guy who has a little shiftyness to him. Big hands and uses them, I love how he keeps the ball away from his body.

For the record, I love Ridley, but I'll vomit if we take a WR at 8.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:I'm riding with DaSuperfan on this one. Do not draft a WR in round 1.
I believe that there will be A LOT of value for WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I wouldn't draft one in the first round. I would take an OL in the first round and look for a WR in the next two. I would rather take a slightly more raw WR and coach him up to our scheme, than take a receiver in round one.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes the value of this WR class is the second and third rounds.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Yes the value of this WR class is the second and third rounds.
2nd round is my favorite round of the draft :D

Some names for rounds 2-4, in no particular order:

Christian Kirk
James Washington
Michael Gallup
Anthony Miller
DJ Moore
Deon C ain
DJ Chark
Keke Coutee (love that name)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote::| Equanimeous St. Brown

- I ended up watching way to many Notre Dame games. In my opinion ESB is one of those better NFL players then College player. He has every skill/ability you want. Yet in college he didn't produce. For a number of reasons. Tall long good hands rings good routes long strider whom is fast etc.
Last couple weeks he's been free-falling down boards like he raped a nun. I'm really at a loss to explain it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Deon Cain

Adequate size. Quick and deceptively fast. Home run threat every time he touches the ball. In consistent hands and runs like 3 routes. Not a favorite of mine but there are guys with much less ability whomproduce in the league.

Deon Cain Nfl.com

Fansided Scouting

highlights