Marcus Davenport OMFG!!!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:
G08 wrote:Another thing with Davenport... once you get him up to 270 or so (which I think we would if we draft him), I see no reason why you can't kick him inside to 3T and bring another EDGE rusher on the field to take his spot there.

That would totally work...on Madden

We're more likely to have him blitzing from a MLB role then move to 3 technique.
Ah yes, Madden. BFO's favorite buzzword :lol:

He's quick enough and he should be thick enough to do it once he's around that 270 mark. My question would be if he's too tall to find success there, still it wouldn't shock me one bit to see him play some 3T in his career if he does in fact bulk up.
Lynch/Hicks/Davenport/Floyd on 3rd downs would be rather interesting.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:
G08 wrote:Another thing with Davenport... once you get him up to 270 or so (which I think we would if we draft him), I see no reason why you can't kick him inside to 3T and bring another EDGE rusher on the field to take his spot there.

We're more likely to have him blitzing from a MLB role then move to 3 technique.

He's quick enough and he should be thick enough to do it once he's around that 270 mark. My question would be if he's too tall to find success there, still it wouldn't shock me one bit to see him play some 3T in his career if he does in fact bulk up.
That's fair. But saying he'll move to 5T is way different than just throwing him in there on 3rd and 9's.

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:
cblaz11 wrote:

That's fair. But saying he'll move to 5T is way different than just throwing him in there on 3rd and 9's.

3 technique, not 5 technique. 3 technique... next to Hicks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764 ... g-question" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice read on Davenport

Nanky
Journeyman

Good read, I hope he's there at #8 . . . would be a great compliment to Floyd!
UOK
Site Admin

Nanky wrote:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/09/marcu ... newsletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a better read, IMHO. I have no interest in Davenport at 8 or anywhere in rounds 1 or 2. The guy doesn't even know if he wants to play.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Nanky wrote:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/09/marcu ... newsletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a better read, IMHO. I have no interest in Davenport at 8 or anywhere in rounds 1 or 2. The guy doesn't even know if he wants to play.

HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS SERIOUSLY MY GUY NOW:

According to USA Today, "He journals, writes poetry, watches Anime and is excited to wear the T-shirt his girlfriend bought him that says 'We should all be feminists.' "
Last edited by Rusty Trombagent on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Nanky wrote:

That's patently false.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i love that there's somehow no greater knock on a player than "he has interests outside of football." THE NFL NEEDS MORE TODD MARINOVICH'S!
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:
Nanky wrote:

That's patently false.
You'd be comfortable drafting a guy in the 1st round who only plays because he's good at it, not because it's his dream? I get the heebie-jeebies about guys like that, because they could retire at 25 as it's not their highest priority.
RustyTrubisky wrote:i love that there's somehow no greater knock on a player than "he has interests outside of football." THE NFL NEEDS MORE TODD MARINOVICH'S!
Don't put words in my mouth. Not what I said.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: This is a better read, IMHO. I have no interest in Davenport at 8 or anywhere in rounds 1 or 2. The guy doesn't even know if he wants to play.
G08 wrote: That's patently false.
UOK wrote: You'd be comfortable drafting a guy in the 1st round who only plays because he's good at it, not because it's his dream? I get the heebie-jeebies about guys like that, because they could retire at 25 as it's not their highest priority.
I'd have to sit down and talk with the guy to really know what's in his heart, but the fact is the kid was 198 lbs like 4 years ago. Do you think it was his dream to be a 265 lbs DE/OLB in the NFL? That's like me dreaming about being a 6'6" 225 lbs shooting guard.

Just... to say "the guy doesn't even know if he wants to play" is garbage. I'm sorry.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: I'd have to sit down and talk with the guy to really know what's in his heart, but the fact is the kid was 198 lbs like 4 years ago. Do you think it was his dream to be a 265 lbs DE/OLB in the NFL? That's like me dreaming about being a 6'6" 225 lbs shooting guard.

Just... to say "the guy doesn't even know if he wants to play" is garbage. I'm sorry.

I'll admit it's a gross oversimplification of the situation, I'll give you that.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It's a gross oversimplification, and one that may or may not be false.

Guys that aren't committed to the game are a red flag.
Guys that go from 198 lbs to 265 in four years don't strike me as the kind of guys who aren't committed to the game. YMMV.

I agree with G08, it belongs with the "but he has interests outside of football" excrement we hear every year about prospects.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:i love that there's somehow no greater knock on a player than "he has interests outside of football." THE NFL NEEDS MORE TODD MARINOVICH'S!
I get your point. Obviously being good at football doesn't necessarily need to be your only focus. To be in the top echelon in such a finate field, you do need football to be a main focus though. As long as you dedicated to football, motivated to stay in shape and practice, sure you can be involved in other pursuits. It's healthy. Ego drives us as humans.

These "other interests reports" should be a slight concern. It takes a lot of focus, and clearly someone questions that focus or personality.

I don't necessarily buy it in this case. Mainly because he plays fairly violently. Sure he maybe a male feminist who is into poetry. Clearly he is dedicated to the gym, and his playstyle indicates a passion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
I get your point. Obviously being good at football doesn't necessarily need to be your only focus. To be in the top echelon in such a finate field, you do need football to be a main focus though. As long as you dedicated to football, motivated to stay in shape and practice, sure you can be involved in other pursuits. It's healthy. Ego drives us as humans.

These "other interests reports" should be a slight concern. It takes a lot of focus, and clearly someone questions that focus or personality.

I don't necessarily buy it in this case. Mainly because he plays fairly violently. Sure he maybe a male feminist who is into poetry. Clearly he is dedicated to the gym, and his playstyle indicates a passion.
But like clockwork, every single year, you hit this point, two weeks before the draft. The process is over, everything that can be measured can be measured, visits are winding down. Like clockwork this is when the character assassination starts. I always think this is the type of stuff I should be studiously documenting because to me it's what's really interesting.

At this point I would think, when people read stuff like this 1-2 weeks before the draft their default reaction should be a jack off motion, but every year some people are like "oh wow, i dont want to touch that guy with a ten foot poll."

And you KNOW there are GM's out there hoping somebody believes this shit, that just a kernel of doubt causes him to slip into their greedy maws.
wab
Mod

I just... get a real Michael Haynes vibe from this guy. Big, powerful, athletic...but just not overly interested?

Haynes was also a bit eclectic, if not just plain weird - possibly with a touch of social anxiety disorder.
UOK
Site Admin

RustyTrubisky wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:

But like clockwork, every single year, you hit this point, two weeks before the draft. The process is over, everything that can be measured can be measured, visits are winding down. Like clockwork this is when the character assassination starts. I always think this is the type of stuff I should be studiously documenting because to me it's what's really interesting.

At this point I would think, when people read stuff like this 1-2 weeks before the draft their default reaction should be a jack off motion, but every year some people are like "oh wow, i dont want to touch that guy with a ten foot poll."

And you KNOW there are GM's out there hoping somebody believes this shit, that just a kernel of doubt causes him to slip into their greedy maws.

This is a bit too dramatic a hypothesis for my liking. I get it - you really like Davenport and feel like this is smoke to lower his value. The only way we'll really know his actual value is on draft day. If it's all bullcrap, these GMs will likely know it, and he'll go in the top 10.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So we're going to criticize a guy who went to school to actually get an education?

I don't see a lack of passion and drive on the game videos of him. The guy knocks people into next week. You can also ferret out his drive and willingness during pre-draft interviews.

OK fine he's an introvert. Not everybody is Deion Sanders with the flashy coats and Prime Time theatrics. Nothing wrong with that. It used to be honorable to just do something impactful in the game and then move on to the next play.

I've been in favor of us drafting him at #8 in part because he could be Fangio's project that turns into DeMarcus Ware. If he's interviewed with the Bears and Fangio thinks he can be something special then I'm sold.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:So we're going to criticize a guy who went to school to actually get an education?

I don't see a lack of passion and drive on the game videos of him. The guy knocks people into next week. You can also ferret out his drive and willingness during pre-draft interviews.

OK fine he's an introvert. Not everybody is Deion Sanders with the flashy coats and Prime Time theatrics. Nothing wrong with that. It used to be honorable to just do something impactful in the game and then move on to the next play.
Thank you. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

The raw talent is clearly there with him. He's as athletic as Jadeveon Clowney and "on tape" you can see him playing with violence and a motor, consistently.

The huge question mark is can he be coached up and will he take to it? Seeing how much he improved from the first practice of the Senior Bowl to the game, I'd have to think the answer is yes.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

After doing a bit of research regarding the Saints' draft history during the time Ryan Pace was there under Mickey Loomis, I've learned that the Saints have never drafted a player from a non-Power 5 conference in the first 65 picks of the draft. (Their highest, in 2007, was Kent State defensive back Usama Young at #66.)

Up until last year, Pace's draft philosophy closely mirrored Loomis', where risk-taking on players from non-Power 5 conference was mostly relegated to Day 3. Pace taking Adam Shaheen at 45, reportedly just before the Broncos wanted him, was a break from that philosophy.

If Marcus Davenport is the Bears' pick, it would cement a break from that philosophy, and also be an indication, based on Pace's Bears selections, that he's a believer in Davenport's athleticism and his ability to develop under this coaching staff.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Davenport has the build (6-5¾, 264, 80⅝-inch wingspan) of an outside rusher, and while it doesn’t mean he’s as talented a player, his testing numbers at the NFL scouting compared well with Chubb’s: 4.58 40 to Chubb’s 4.65; both had 1.62-second 10-yard splits and 4.41-second short shuttles; a 7.20-second three-cone drill to Chubb’s 7.37; and 22 bench reps to Chubb’s 24.

Davenport’s relatively modest total of 8½ sacks last season is evidence that he’s raw. But the NFL defensive line coach said that with good coaching, Davenport could get eight sacks as a rookie and double digits in his second year.

“I think he’s special,” the coach said. “Everybody says he’s not very thick. He’s a heavy-handed dude now. He can snap you off, his hands are as strong as (heck). I’d take Chubb first, then him. Awesome kid. I think he’s got some real stuff, too.”

G08
Hall of Famer

MARCUS DAVENPORT | DE | TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO

Height: 6056 | Weight: 264 | Arm: 33 5/8" | Hand: 9 1/8" | 40 TIme: 4.58 | 10-Split: 1.63 | Bench: 22 | 3Cone: 7.20 | Broad: 124" | Vertical: 33.5"

Marcus Davenport is a fourth-year senior who plays as a hybrid strong side DE/LB in UTSA's 4-2-5 defense. Davenport was an extremely malleable chess piece in defensive coordinator Pete Golding's multiple 4-2-5 scheme which saw Davenport do everything from blitz as the A-Gap as a Mike linebacker to drop back in coverage from the right and left side with his hand in the ground. The 2017 Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year holds UTSA school records in career sacks (22.0) and TFLs (38.0), and his 49 pressures on 241 pass rush snaps this season makes him an efficient rusher. Davenport rarely came off the field and plays almost every snap with enthusiasm and yearns to make an impact on every play. Davenport had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile and did enough to silence concerns about his production resulting against weaker C-USA opposition with a half-sack and fumble recovery for a TD in the game.

Davenport has the appearance of an oak tree with elite length, 34" inch arms, and a developed lower body with thick quads Davenport pairs his Tarzan physique with outstanding athletic ability, acceleration, and lateral agility. Davenport's long legs allow him to build up speed to keep up with skill position players in open field foot races. Davenport has shown an ability to bend the edge when attacking the outside shoulder and his flexibility is evident when he is asked to flip his hips and drop back into coverage. Davenport's exceptional athleticism dates all the way back to his time in high school, where he was also an area-qualifier in the 1,600m relay and shot put along with starring for the Stevens High School basketball team in Texas. In an interview with Davenport's father, Ron Davenport, he recalled that Marcus would always try to chase and catch rabbits as a child, which explains his terrific short area quickness and coordination for his size. Davenport has steadily gained over 60 pounds throughout his four years at UTSA by eating constantly, especially heavy snacks before bed.

As a pass rusher, Davenport is gifted in his ability to convert speed to power with calculated steps and a concrete rush plan. Davenport consistently wins at the POA by using his extremely long arms and heavy hands to manipulate blockers in 1v1 situations and create a crease to shoot the gap and get into the backfield. Davenport has a lethal rip under move that he uses to attack the outside shoulder of the tackle and can also stack with an inside swim that to lean into against the blocker to get pushed right into his rush alley. Davenport is a terrifying finisher who closes on QBs with bad intentions and some of his hits look like mini car-wrecks. Davenport's ability to be equally as effective collapsing pockets with power or with speed makes him a unique prospect, and his technique has gone a long way in refinement this season under the guise of current Lions defensive line coach Bo Davis. While Davenport packs a violent punch and active hands, he has a tendency of remaining very high when bull rushing which sacrifices his leverage against more powerful tackles. Davenport demonstrates good awareness by always keeping his eyes on the QB and uses timing and positioning to funnel into passing lanes and get his arms up to bat down passes. PFF analytics suggest that Davenport boasted the best positive run impact (16.9%) and negative run impact (4.1%) of all the edge defenders at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, and the tape certainly endorses the numbers. As a run defender, Davenport is disciplined in his run fits and shows a great motor in pursuit of ball-carriers in space. Davenport also possesses the play strength to anchor and set the edge on the perimeter and funnel ball-carriers back inside for his second-level teammates to make plays. Davenport arrives with urgency when crashing inside on goal and short yardage situations does a good job of not getting moved off his assignment when penetrating B Gaps. Davenport exhibits active hands when engaged to get off blocks and is patient in shuffling his feet to diagnose plays and time his launch. Davenport takes intelligent angles in his pursuit and has a good understanding of his speed and acceleration when calculating his linear approach to stretch and toss plays away from his side of the field. Davenport can occasionally get frozen on zone reads and end up out of position to lose contain. Davenport plays the game with passion and his relentless motor is always on display, chasing ball-carriers into the second level without sacrificing enthusiasm despite never taking a play off.

As impressive of a specimen as Davenport is on the field, he is equally impressive off the field. Davenport was a candidate for the 2017 Senior CLASS Award, which is presented to the most outstanding student-athlete in 10 NCAA Division I sports who best exemplifies the attributes of community, classroom, character, and competition. Davenport also landed on the 2017 Wuerffel Trophy preseason watch list, an accolade given to players who exemplify outstanding performance in community service due to his work as a mentor at a local elementary school and efforts raising awareness against pediatric cancer. Davenport lists his work ethic as his best attribute, citing that he took 18 credit hours to graduate his senior year and sharing that he loves watching film late into the night in his free time. Davenport's high school coach echoed his work ethic, stating that Davenport never went home at 4pm and always did extra work. Davenport had limited scholarship offers from power five schools due to the fact that he weighed 198-pounds as a senior defensive end after switching from WR. Davenport mirrors the same work ethic that he shows on the field in film preparation and all accounts speak to the fact that he lives and breaths football. Davenport lists Von Miller as the player who he watches and tries to emulate most, and his ceiling could come dangerously close if everything continues to click for him and he envelopes the type of production that he enjoyed in Conference USA. Ultimately, Davenport's length, athleticism, work ethic, and commitment to the game should land him in the top half of the first round, and his game most closely resembles Chandler Jones at the NFL level due to his ability to attack and produce with a balance of speed and power.

Overall Grade: 90

Athletic Ability: 6

Physical: 7

Play Strength: 6

Play Speed: 6

Competitive Toughness: 7

Bend: 4

Finesse Moves: 4

Power Moves: 4

Gap Control: 5

Anchor: 4

Pursuit: 4

Motor: 5

Hands/Technique: 4

Move Arsenal: 4

Tackling: 5

Playmaking: 5

Maturity: 5

Production: 5

Player Comparison: Chandler Jones

Projected Round: Top 20

Nanky
Journeyman

I just have a feeling if he's there at #8, he'll be a Bear. He could be a perfect compliment to Floyd and a beast once he's coached up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:I just have a feeling if he's there at #8, he'll be a Bear. He could be a perfect compliment to Floyd and a beast once he's coached up.
If it boils down to ILB or OLB, I sincerely hope Pace drafts the player that Fangio wants the most.

I'm of the opinion he sees Davenport as a more raw/less insane Aldon Smith.

G08
Hall of Famer

Who's the pass-rusher with the highest upside? (via @troyadami)

Kiper: If we leave out NC State's Bradley Chubb, who I've said is the draft's best edge rusher, I have to go with Marcus Davenport. The 6-foot-6, 264-pound Texas-San Antonio product has size and athleticism that can't be taught. His 4.58 40-yard dash at the combine was the fastest of any defensive linemen. He could play as a defensive end in a 4-3 or as an outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Davenport just needs a team to be patient with him and develop his pass-rushing moves. I've said for a while that Green Bay, which has veterans he could learn from, is a great fit.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have no problem taking Davenport. I think a trade down makes the most sense, if possible.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I have no problem taking Davenport. I think a trade down makes the most sense, if possible.
The only concern I have is someone like the Packers looming at 14 and jumping us.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I have no problem taking Davenport. I think a trade down makes the most sense, if possible.
The only concern I have is someone like the Packers looming at 14 and jumping us.
You can tell I'm overdue for the draft to get here. It keeps rolling around in my head that we trade back with 'Zona at 15 and GB takes him right in front of us. I don't throw things on draft days any more, but I'd be thinking about it in that case.

G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
You can tell I'm overdue for the draft to get here. It keeps rolling around in my head that we trade back with 'Zona at 15 and GB takes him right in front of us. I don't throw things on draft days any more, but I'd be thinking about it in that case.
Dude this draft has been so frustrating, we can go one million different ways and my brain is trying to figure out each option and then determine which provides the best bang for our buck. It was fun at first but now I'm just ready for this to be over :lol: