Hall of Famer

Post your thoughts on edge rushers.

Marcus Davenport
Adipost on Marcus Davenport

NFL.COM Marcus Davenport

Marcus Davenport Scouting

Davenport V Texas Tech

Davenport V Baylor

Clearly an aggressive physical freak. Needs to refine pass rush repertoire. He doesn't disengage well, but he can bulldoze mfers. His instincts are not great and he is a bit stiff in the hips. The negatives aside he is a long, big, aggressive, high motor, freak. Dude has an amazing skill set. I posted videos of higher competition, because bulldozing an accountant at UTSA isn't as impressive. He isn't a finished product but t with coaching that product could become the best edge rusher in NFL level.

Bradley Chubb

MikeFive on Bradley Chubb

NFL.com Bradley Chub

Draft Diamonds Bradley Chubb

Chubb v FSU

Chubb v Louisville

- Chubb is a thick dude with long arms. High motor, with enough athleticism to play as a stand up backer. When you watch him you see he has strong hands able to move linemen. He is more refined as a pass rusher then most. He won't be able to bend the edge as easy in the NFL but he is flexible enough to be able to. A bit tight hopped and coverage will not be a strength. Overall the highest floor pass rusher in the draft.
cblaz11
MVP

For me, there are only two edge rushers worthy of the 8th pick.

Bradley Chubb....and Harold Landry

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has quickly moved up my board. My pre-combine list

Chubb
Harold Landry
McGlinchey
Roquan Smith
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Harold Landry

NFL.com Harold Landry

Harold Landry Scouting Report

2016 vs Clemson

Landry Vs Wake Forest

- Landry is more of a prototypical rush backer. Very flexible and can bend/dip through the corner. Probably the fastest bust of the snap in this class, with great closing speed. Not strong enough to hold the point pro hand fight. Good instincts and disciplined in holding his gap, or backside pursuit. Has a bit more moves to get passed a tackle then others liking the dip or inside counter step. I wish he used his hands a bit better to set stuff up or disengage.
wab
Mod

I said it in another thread, but I don't think Landry is a top 10 pick. I think he'll go in the first, but probably middle to end of it. He doesn't use his hands consistently well, his size may be a bit of a concern, and his game is all speed...which won't work in the NFL. Unless he starts to convert that speed to power, he's going to get washed out of plays too often. Dropping from 16.5 sacks down to 5 as a senior is also a concern (and yes I know he missed 5 games at the end of the season).

I'd be comfortable with him in the teens, but not at #8.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

TREMAINE EDMUNDS

NFL.COM TREMAINE EDMUNDS

Edmunds Scouting Report

vs Clemson

Vs West Virginia

- we have talked about him as a more physical Floyd. It actually maybe more like a more physical Jaylon Smith. Physically impressive. Doesn't play on the outside, but in game reps rushes from every location. I believe he will do well if asked to rush from the outside. Takes way to many false steps, and has this bouncy thing when diagnosing. There is a ton to like about his possibilities here.
wab
Mod

Takes way to many false steps, and has this bouncy thing when diagnosing.
I obviously don't wanna put the cart before the horse, but a former LB that did that exact same thing for 13 years in Chicago just became a first ballot hall of famer.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, I agree with wab: Edmunds is much more Urlacher than anyone else. Like #54, Edmunds isn't adept at disengaging from blocks and would be similarly miscast on the edge. Make him a read-and-react guy in the middle of your defense (and get him to freelance less) and you're playing much more to his strengths.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:Yeah, I agree with wab: Edmunds is much more Urlacher than anyone else. Like #54, Edmunds isn't adept at disengaging from blocks and would be similarly miscast on the edge. Make him a read-and-react guy in the middle of your defense (and get him to freelance less) and you're playing much more to his strengths.
The only difference is that I actually think Urlacher would have been even more successful outside in a 3-4 than he was inside in a 4-3.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Urlacher huh. I can't say I agree, but I like it.
cblaz11
MVP

Edmunds is similiar Urlacher if your talking measurables...but that's where the comparisons stop. The guy is not Brian Urlacher and has done nothing to show he ever will be. Even in his highlight tape you see him just ignoring his assignment and standing in the middle of the field. I don't see it...
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Urlacher wasn't the same guy we saw at MLB for a long time coming out of New Mexico, either. You're drafting traits and projecting them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Urlacher wasn't ever supposed to be Urlacher. He was a weird safety/punt returner that everyone thought was a reach because no one could decide what position he played.

I'm NOT saying that Edmunds is Urlacher. I am saying there are similarities. They are both raw, athletic specimens that played weird hybrid positions. They are both guys who you have to project into NFL positions. Both guys who take too many false steps, but have the recovery speed to correct. Both smart football players.
cblaz11
MVP

This guy sucks..I tried going back and watching again.

Plays out of position, plays way to upright...and plays slow.

Hard pass..please don't compare him to our HOF LB.

Also, Brian Urlacher was not built to play OLB in a 3-4..That's a terrible thought.
cblaz11
MVP

Go back and look at Urlacher in College! The guy was a play maker in every sense of the word! Edmunds can hope to be Casey Urlacher...
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:This guy sucks..I tried going back and watching again.

Plays out of position, plays way to upright...and plays slow.

Hard pass..please don't compare him to our HOF LB.

Also, Brian Urlacher was not built to play OLB in a 3-4..That's a terrible thought.
If Brian Urlacher was drafted now, he absolutely would be looked at as a 3-4 OLB.

6'4 260 4.55 40

41 career sacks, 78 passes defensed, 22 interceptions in a defense where his main job was to cover the middle of the field from one sideline to the other. Can you imagine what he'd do if he was able to pass rush/blitz more?

You are lying to yourself if you think a coach like Fangio wouldn't figure out a way to use him outside.
wab
Mod

What position do you think the Lobo was in New Mexico's 3-3-5? It was their version of the Leo/Jack that's so rampantly popular today.

Again, no one is saying that Edmunds IS BRIAN URLACHER. I am saying there are similarities. I'm not sure why that has your jimmies all rustled.
cblaz11
MVP

Nope

You cant just spout measurables and place a guy in a certain category. Urlacher did not have the hand quickness or the hip flexibilty to rush off the edge.

If he were coming out today, we would be looked at as a MLB lol..the position he made the HOF as.
cblaz11
MVP

Urlacher played safety at New Mexico..he thrived in coverage and chasing down sideline to sideline. The areas that you need your MLB to be good. He struggled with shedding blocks and blitzing...The areas you need your pass rushers to excel. He was exactly what he was...A middle linebacker.
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:Urlacher did not have the hand quickness or the hip flexibilty to rush off the edge.
He absolutely did early in his career. His hips were what allowed him to move laterally so well. His so called stiffness didn't start until the neck/back issues popped up around 2008.

Regardless, Edmunds doesn't "suck". So, yeah....that's just patently false.
cblaz11
MVP

I guess I just dislike Edmunds that much. As a 4-3 middle linebacker he may be ok, and I don't even have that much faith in him. That being said, he has shown nothing to make us think he can rush the passer. To talk about him in the top 10 is ludicrous to me..

I'd take Roquan Smith over him as a MLB, and I'd take numerous edge rushers over him.
wab
Mod

Edmunds had as many sacks this year as Landry. And he's barely 20 years old. The Bears may not draft him, but whatever lens you are looking at him through is very off.
cblaz11
MVP

Time will tell on Edmunds. I think your overvaluing him based on his measurables which has gotten pleanty of GMs in trouble over the years. I take measurables into account but I also look at their tape. The guys just looks ok on tape and I don't really see him flash.

I guess that's the fun part of this time of year..
cblaz11
MVP

All your looking at is stats and measurables...have you watched any tape?
cblaz11
MVP

I think he can play the MLB position..I just think as an edge guy...he's a terrible option
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:All your looking at is stats and measurables...have you watched any tape?
lol... coach here watches the tape!
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:All your looking at is stats and measurables...have you watched any tape?
"Tape"? No. Highlights and game cut-ups, yes.

I mean after watching this he's clearly terrible.

[video][/video]
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I have nothing against Edmunds, but I will say pointing to any highlight reel as a reason to draft anyone is dumb. A prospect who can't look good in a highlight reel isn't playing in the NFL, let alone getting drafted.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

Exactly...watch a full game. Go to draft breakdown.com

He flashes...But he gets washed away a lot more then the times he flashes. The guys a decent MLB prospect, but I have zero in him as a pass rusher.

When Benardrick McKinney came out..everyone wanted him as an edge rusher because of his size...He's played MLB since getting drafted. I think best case, this guy is McKinney.
G08
Hall of Famer

Blaz I don't know what you're seeing because this kid flies off the screen when I watch him.

Is he developed? No, he's barely 20 years old. I'd put him on the edge and tell him to pin his ears back and go eat.

Once he gets some refinement I literally giggle at the ways Fangio can use Floyd and him in coverage. It won't be fair having dudes that long and that fast slamming passing windows shut.

He's my pick at 8, it's a no brainer to me.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Blaz I don't know what you're seeing because this kid flies off the screen when I watch him.

Is he developed? No, he's barely 20 years old. I'd put him on the edge and tell him to pin his ears back and go eat.

Once he gets some refinement I literally giggle at the ways Fangio can use Floyd and him in coverage. It won't be fair having dudes that long and that fast slamming passing windows shut.

He's my pick at 8, it's a no brainer to me.
My man.