Name your top 8

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

The more I think about it....

As good of a prospect as Nelson is, I'm starting to feel that it's still pretty early for a OG to go as early as projected. Even as early as the eighth pick. Which makes me feel he will fall to the Bears and why they pick him.

Consider that every team is looking for an absolute IMPACT player in the top 10. The only lineman worth picking early is an OT to protect a QBs blindside. Most teams are looking for that impact guy to make plays. Be it a WR, QB or edge rusher. That's what teams look for first. High grade CBS come right after that. I doubt when the clock starts ticking that teams are going to rush to draft Nelson (again as good as he is). I feel panic will kick in when that clock goes and they (teams) pick or trade up to get a rusher. Why? Because OGs are not a sexy pick.

Looking at the teams, The Bears are in a unique position in team building at this point. It's different than many of the other teams. Let's not forget the Bears are REBUILDING still. Other teams have bigger problems than the Bears have at the moment. Teams like the colts don't have a "top 10" defense. They need an impact player there. Several teams ahead also have big problems that needs can be addressed with such IMPACT players.

Outside the Bears, I just couldn't pull the trigger if I was a GM of a franchise on Nelson (as good of a Prospect he is).

The Bears on the other hand... when I say a unique position, I mean that it's obvious that they are committed to surrounding Trubisky with the talent to help him become successful. The problem (which is kinda a good one) is where else do you go to do so. They have good RBs, They drafted a TE, and just signed another. They did there best to revamp the WR position to the degree it's all but finished. What's left? OL and the best possible prospect will be sitting right there.

Sure, edge rusher is a need. But Dline and CBS are not a need at this point (at least not in the first). Same might as well be said about the safety position.

So we are only down to two positions. OLB and OL....

I have a feeling he will fall into the Bears lap. If not, there pick will be obvious. The best remaining edge rusher.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Another reason I expect the Bears to get Nelson....

I don't see a team in front of the Bears that could justifiably draft him. And I don't see how another team behind them can justify moving up past the Bears to draft him.
G08
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Another reason I expect the Bears to get Nelson....

I don't see a team in front of the Bears that could justifiably draft him. And I don't see how another team behind them can justify moving up past the Bears to draft him.
Depending when/where the QBs get picked, I could see Nelson going to Denver or Indy. If he's on the board at 7, I'm pretty sure he'll be there at 8 for us.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
46Blitz wrote:Another reason I expect the Bears to get Nelson....

Depending when/where the QBs get picked, I could see Nelson going to Denver or Indy. If he's on the board at 7, I'm pretty sure he'll be there at 8 for us.
This.

There's a pretty decent chance that Nelson won't be there. Indy needs to protect Luck and if John Elway really does like Case Keenum they could take Nelson.
wab
Mod

Fans would likely revolt in Indy if they took a guard. They are transitioning to a new defense...they have two starting linebackers, one starting corner, and questions at DE. On offense they have one WR. Yes, they need to protect luck, but I'd say they need a RT more than a guard. They also have 3 picks in the second round where there should still be value on the OL.

Denver...maybe? They are saying the right things about Keenum and even Chad Kelly (Elway has mentioned him several times this offseason). I don't think they are taking a QB at 5. I think it'll be a corner or a defensive linemen.

As far as the Bears go...It's hard, because they only really have one glaring weakness...pass rusher. Yeah, there is a hole at LG, but the Bears have guys that can fill that hole should they choose.

I could see a team trading up a few spots with Tampa if Nelson is there.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I just keep looking at the Cardinals, Bengals, and Chargers and thinking... are these teams just gonna take their chances with their trash veteran quarterbacks? Instead of trading up in front of Miami and Buffalo to get a guy? There has to be some additional trades that impact us at 8
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

How about NE now that they have 2 #1s with #23 and #31? The dreaded pick value chart says that's pretty close to value for #8.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Dealing with the Patriots makes you feel like you've just made a deal with the Devil.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:How about NE now that they have 2 #1s with #23 and #31? The dreaded pick value chart says that's pretty close to value for #8.
You got me thinking with that so I looked it up. Yes sir you're right.

#8 overall is 1400 points.

#23 is 760.
#31 is 600.

So we're short a few points and we really should be receiving a premium. Where does NE pick in the third? NE has #95 in the third. That's worth 120. Not enough.

The 43 in the second is 470. We won't get that. Unless we involve a day 2 pick (works for me) to even it out.

The 63 in the second is 276. Fine by me.

At that point the draft for me should be about boring, but solid OL type players in round 1. For the edge rusher, Walter Football had Landry dropping to the mid-20s. Take him at 23?

I wouldn't have a problem taking 2 OL players in the first two rounds. We'll get two starter quality players out of that.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:How about NE now that they have 2 #1s with #23 and #31? The dreaded pick value chart says that's pretty close to value for #8.
You got me thinking with that so I looked it up. Yes sir you're right.

#8 overall is 1400 points.

#23 is 760.
#31 is 600.

So we're short a few points and we really should be receiving a premium. Where does NE pick in the third? NE has #95 in the third. That's worth 120. Not enough.

The 43 in the second is 470. We won't get that. Unless we involve a day 2 pick (works for me) to even it out.

The 63 in the second is 276. Fine by me.

At that point the draft for me should be about boring, but solid OL type players in round 1. For the edge rusher, Walter Football had Landry dropping to the mid-20s. Take him at 23?

I wouldn't have a problem taking 2 OL players in the first two rounds. We'll get two starter quality players out of that.
OK, if that's how Ryan Pace thinks no trade will happen. Your thinking is that we should receive a premium... as in +236 points on our side, overpaying by the value of a high R3 pick? That's pretty insane.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Decatur Staley
Rookie

crueltyabc wrote:I just keep looking at the Cardinals, Bengals, and Chargers and thinking... are these teams just gonna take their chances with their trash veteran quarterbacks? Instead of trading up in front of Miami and Buffalo to get a guy? There has to be some additional trades that impact us at 8
The Chargers have a trash QB?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Decatur Staley wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:I just keep looking at the Cardinals, Bengals, and Chargers and thinking... are these teams just gonna take their chances with their trash veteran quarterbacks? Instead of trading up in front of Miami and Buffalo to get a guy? There has to be some additional trades that impact us at 8
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Decatur Staley wrote:
I thought the same thing.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Eh ok I shouldn’t have swept him into that group but he’s not the future of that team. They’re in a weird purgatory right now and need to make some moves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Eh ok I shouldn’t have swept him into that group but he’s not the future of that team. They’re in a weird purgatory right now and need to make some moves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G08
Hall of Famer

Playing around with some draft scenarios in my head and this one involves us drafting Harold Landry.

I don't think we take him at 8 because it's just too rich for him, IMO... my question:

If we wanted to trade back, who are potential teams that you think would be interested in moving UP to #8? Let's assume the 4 QBs, Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson are all gone.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
cblaz11
MVP

Buffalo, Miami, Arizona? I don't by the Pats being involved in a trade up for a QB.
docc
Head Coach

#3 ???
I posted a 7.23 40 and 2 reps..
Dam..