Who's "your guy?" Tell me you want the most in this draft!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

No debate/discussion in here, please. I want to know who you'd love the Bears to walk away with out of this draft, whether it's a 1st or 7th rounder. Your "guys" will be broken down in detail during a special episode of the podcast next month.

In order to keep this clean, I'd like you call to copy-paste this template into your posts, filling it out with your info.

Here is the template to fill out:

Code: Select all

[size=150][b]PLAYER:  insert name here[/b][/size]
[list]
   [*][b]POSITION:  insert position here[/b]
   [*][b]COLLEGE:  insert college here[/b]
   [*][b]HEIGHT:  insert height here[/b]
   [*][b]WEIGHT:  insert weight here[/b]
[/list]

[b]HIGHLIGHTS:[/b]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/paste-your-highlight-video-URL-here[/video]

[b]WHY HE'S "MY GUY:"[/b]
[quote][i] 

Talk about your guy here.

[/quote][/i]
----------

Here's my example (he's also my guy!):

PLAYER: Minkah Fitzpatrick
  • POSITION: DB/S/CB
  • COLLEGE: Alabama
  • HEIGHT: 6'1"
  • WEIGHT: 201 lb
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

WHY HE'S "MY GUY:"

I love this guy's tape. He's always around or near the ball against elite competition. Game changer - playmaker. Size is an issue, and I think he could be a terrific Nickel or hybrid safety, but the straight dope is that guys like these don't come around too often, and I'm pretty certain he'll be there at 8. If I'm the Bears, I take this guy and find a way to get Fangio to make the most of him.

Middleguard
MVP

You say any round, but its hard to choose a 7th round prediction, who, if the Bears picked him #2 I'd barf.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

PLAYER: Marcus Davenport
  • POSITION: DE / OLB
  • COLLEGE: Texas - San Antonio
  • HEIGHT: 6'6"
  • WEIGHT: 264 lbs
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

Two players have the most ability to change the offensive scheme from the defensive side of the ball. An elite pass rusher and a shutdown corner. The Bears have neither, but Davenport can give them one. Davenport has the highest ceiling of any player that will realistically be available at #8. That being said, I think there is also a risk that he could be a bust because he attended a small program and the jump to NFL level competition week-in and week-out may be too much. He did have an excellent Senior Bowl. However, he has the size, speed, and aggressiveness to really deliver on the pass rush for us and give Floyd and others opportunities on the other side of the ball. He is the perfect raw talent for a coach of Fangio's caliber to mentor and develop. He could become the next DeMarcus Ware and that's a hard player to pass up. While Davenport may be a riskier pick than Roquan Smith or Nelson, you can make a good team without taking risks, but you cannot make a great one.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

PLAYER: Bradley Chubb
  • POSITION: Edge Rusher
  • COLLEGE: NC State
  • HEIGHT: 6'4"
  • WEIGHT: 269 lb
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

Best pass rusher in the class and we have a MAJOR hole to fill at OLB/Edge Rusher. He'd be a perfect fit opposite of Floyd and could potentially put the Bears top 10 defense into the elite category. I think he's that good and will be a stud pass rusher in the NFL. He's got the motor, tenacity and skill set to flourish as a 34 edge rusher. He also plays the run just as well as he does the pass.
Never Die Easy
beardownbilly
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote:PLAYER: Marcus Davenport
  • POSITION: DE / OLB
  • COLLEGE: Texas - San Antonio
  • HEIGHT: 6'6"
  • WEIGHT: 264 lbs
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

Two players have the most ability to change the offensive scheme from the defensive side of the ball. An elite pass rusher and a shutdown corner. The Bears have neither, but Davenport can give them one. Davenport has the highest ceiling of any player that will realistically be available at #8. That being said, I think there is also a risk that he could be a bust because he attended a small program and the jump to NFL level competition week-in and week-out may be too much. He did have an excellent Senior Bowl. However, he has the size, speed, and aggressiveness to really deliver on the pass rush for us and give Floyd and others opportunities on the other side of the ball. He is the perfect raw talent for a coach of Fangio's caliber to mentor and develop. He could become the next DeMarcus Ware and that's a hard player to pass up. While Davenport may be a riskier pick than Roquan Smith or Nelson, you can make a good team without taking risks, but you cannot make a great one.

Me too, I really like Davenport and he seems to fit Paces draft MO. Small school, high ceiling player.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

PLAYER:  Shaquem Griffin
  •    
  • POSITION:  OLB

• COLLEGE:  University of Central Florida

• HEIGHT:  6'1"

• WEIGHT:  225
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

This dude will accomplish in one day what John Fox couldn't fully complete in 3 years--remove diva behavior from the locker room. Who is going to whine, cry or pout with this guy busting his tail just a few lockers over? Worst case scenario, Griffin will be a STs nightmare. Best case, he's a pass rusher with sneaky speed around the edge. Fastest LB combine 40 EVER... 4.38. Holy crap!

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hematite
Player of the Month

I'm with DaSuperfan. Chubb is the only prospect that I happily turn the card in at 8, otherwise I'm trying my best to trade down.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Hematite wrote:I'm with DaSuperfan. Chubb is the only prospect that I happily turn the card in at 8, otherwise I'm trying my best to trade down.
He's the only one I'm super excited about, though he won't be there.

Maybe Fitzpatrick. If someone wants to trade up for a quarterback, I'm pretty darned on board unless Chubb miraculously falls though.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

PLAYER: Levi Wallace
  • POSITION: CB
  • HEIGHT: 6002
  • WEIGHT: 183 (Alabama pro day)
HIGHLIGHTS:
[video][/video]

I'm a sucker for a Cinderella story, and Wallace has a very good one. No scholarship offers out of high school led him to walk on at Alabama in January 2014, and he lost his dad to ALS that spring. He eventually earned a scholarship in fall 2016, stood out on special teams and was a key depth component as the season went on, and started 13 of 14 games for 'bama this year. While he's skinny and is not a blazer (hampered by a heel injury at the Combine, though reportedly has run in the 4.51-4.53 range previously), Alabama coach Nick Saban calls him "a great technician" who is "really smart" and "very instinctive." I don't know that he'll ever be more than a nickel or dime back in the NFL, but that's still pretty valuable, and the fact that he's been able to hold up in the SEC is promising. His physical measurables (32 3/4 inch arms and 77 3/8 inch wingspan) fit in with what Vic Fangio likes in his DBs, too.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

PLAYER: Quenton Nelson
  • POSITION: OG
  • COLLEGE: Notre Dame
  • HEIGHT: 6'5
  • WEIGHT: 320
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

How many highlight videos of a guard are there? Not many. Played LT as a freshman before moving to guard. It's no coincidence that the last two left tackles that played next to him were highly touted prospects. He's just so big and strong. It's hard to find a weakness in his game. He tends to linger on blocks a little too long, and he'd rather bury you than block you...so that aggressiveness may need to be harnessed at the next level.

The Bears have a gaping hole at LG, and possibly a hole a RG depending on how healthy Long can stay. Stability along the OL and keeping MT10 upright is more important than a pass rush right now. I'll take a chance at a potential HOF guard over a boom or bust LB every time.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:PLAYER: Quenton Nelson
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

How many highlight videos of a guard are there? Not many. Played LT as a freshman before moving to guard. It's no coincidence that the last two left tackles that played next to him were highly touted prospects. He's just so big and strong. It's hard to find a weakness in his game. He tends to linger on blocks a little too long, and he'd rather bury you than block you...so that aggressiveness may need to be harnessed at the next level.

The Bears have a gaping hole at LG, and possibly a hole a RG depending on how healthy Long can stay. Stability along the OL and keeping MT10 upright is more important than a pass rush right now. I'll take a chance at a potential HOF guard over a boom or bust LB every time.
I second this one!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

His base is freaking amazing. His lower body is built like a Redwood, and he instantly gets leverage on opponent.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Nelson is my 1B with Chubb being 1A. Nelson is a terrific prospect, probably the best guard prospect I've ever seen come out.
Never Die Easy
EricTighe
MVP

PLAYER: Da'Ron Payne
  • POSITION: Devensive Line
  • HEIGHT: 6'2"
  • WEIGHT: 311

[video]http://www.youtube.com/paste-your-highl ... o-URL-here[/video]

He is the Beast. Non-stop motor who ran under a 5 second 40. He squated 645 lbs and benched 545. Neec I say he is a football player first and freakish athlete second. I do love Edmunds but I keep going back to my top pick before the season began. This is the guy like Aaron Donald who everyone is going to look back on and ask why didn't we draft him.I start to drool every time I think about Hicks on one side and Payne on the other. I know DL isn't as big a need as other positions but this is the guy who now on top of my draft board. Edmunds was there becuase of the thought of having another Urlacher manning the middle. But with Payne we are talking Reggie White type potential. When you have the ability to go with a non-stop motor it is hard not to be impressed. With Payne on one side and Hicks on the other I believe Floyd could have a 20 sack season if he can stay on the field.

EricTighe
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:Nelson is my 1B with Chubb being 1A. Nelson is a terrific prospect, probably the best guard prospect I've ever seen come out.
I liked DeCastro better when he came out. If you remember :)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:PLAYER: Da'Ron Payne
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[video][/video]

He is the Beast. Non-stop motor who ran under a 5 second 40. He squated 645 lbs and benched 545. Neec I say he is a football player first and freakish athlete second. I do love Edmunds but I keep going back to my top pick before the season began. This is the guy like Aaron Donald who everyone is going to look back on and ask why didn't we draft him.I start to drool every time I think about Hicks on one side and Payne on the other. I know DL isn't as big a need as other positions but this is the guy who now on top of my draft board. Edmunds was there becuase of the thought of having another Urlacher manning the middle. But with Payne we are talking Reggie White type potential. When you have the ability to go with a non-stop motor it is hard not to be impressed. With Payne on one side and Hicks on the other I believe Floyd could have a 20 sack season if he can stay on the field.

i fixed your link for you.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

He reminds me of Leon Lett
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Except when he is running with the ball, he reaches for the end zone. :-P

This guy is really interesting. Having him opposite Hicks would be nasty.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Thank you Rusty
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

My feeling is, if you're going defense in the 1st round, its gotta be an OLB/EDGE guy. I think they have a bigger impact than the DL.
GSH
MVP

HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

My feeling is, if you're going defense in the 1st round, its gotta be an OLB/EDGE guy. I think they have a bigger impact than the DL.
Payne would be a guy I target if we traded back into the mid teens or so. The edge guys this year all have some questions and they all could grow into nice players, but I think we're at a point where our 1st rounders need to step up sooner than later. The future is now and anyone that can come in and blow up a defense is welcome.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
EricTighe
MVP

I do agree with your assessment of the Edge rushers. Last year Bradley CHubb was given a second round grade in a strong edge rusher draft. Now he is top player on the board is it due to he got that much better or is it due to lack of options in a need position.
Hind sight is 20-20 and since we don't have it I would take Nelson or Payne at our spot. Still remeber the year we traded back and got Grossman and Haynes in the first round and passed on some hall of famers. Poor TV I actually threw my beer through the TV when Polamula went to the Steelers. One thing I do like about Pace when he targets a guy he goes after him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The question is, "Who is Pace's guy." Because as we have seen over the last couple of drafts, Pace is going to go and get his guy, come Hell or highwater. Right now, all of the mocks I have seen have Nelson gone before #8. Does Pace pull off another draft day trade up the board to get him, IF that is hi guy? Or does he try and trade down and pick up McGlinchey?