Who's "your guy?" Tell me you want the most in this draft!

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

wab wrote:PLAYER: Quenton Nelson
  • POSITION: OG
  • COLLEGE: Notre Dame
  • HEIGHT: 6'5
  • WEIGHT: 320
HIGHLIGHTS:

[video][/video]

WHY HE'S "MY GUY:"

How many highlight videos of a guard are there? Not many. Played LT as a freshman before moving to guard. It's no coincidence that the last two left tackles that played next to him were highly touted prospects. He's just so big and strong. It's hard to find a weakness in his game. He tends to linger on blocks a little too long, and he'd rather bury you than block you...so that aggressiveness may need to be harnessed at the next level.

The Bears have a gaping hole at LG, and possibly a hole a RG depending on how healthy Long can stay. Stability along the OL and keeping MT10 upright is more important than a pass rush right now. I'll take a chance at a potential HOF guard over a boom or bust LB every time.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
EricTighe wrote:PLAYER: Da'Ron Payne
  • POSITION: Devensive Line
  • COLLEGE: Alabama
  • HEIGHT: 6'2"
  • WEIGHT: 311
He is the Beast. Non-stop motor who ran under a 5 second 40. He squated 645 lbs and benched 545. Neec I say he is a football player first and freakish athlete second. I do love Edmunds but I keep going back to my top pick before the season began. This is the guy like Aaron Donald who everyone is going to look back on and ask why didn't we draft him.I start to drool every time I think about Hicks on one side and Payne on the other. I know DL isn't as big a need as other positions but this is the guy who now on top of my draft board. Edmunds was there becuase of the thought of having another Urlacher manning the middle. But with Payne we are talking Reggie White type potential. When you have the ability to go with a non-stop motor it is hard not to be impressed. With Payne on one side and Hicks on the other I believe Floyd could have a 20 sack season if he can stay on the field.
He reminds me of Leon Lett
Except when he is running with the ball, he reaches for the end zone. :-P

This guy is really interesting. Having him opposite Hicks would be nasty.
My feeling is, if you're going defense in the 1st round, its gotta be an OLB/EDGE guy. I think they have a bigger impact than the DL.
Payne would be a guy I target if we traded back into the mid teens or so. The edge guys this year all have some questions and they all could grow into nice players, but I think we're at a point where our 1st rounders need to step up sooner than later. The future is now and anyone that can come in and blow up a defense is welcome.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
EricTighe
MVP

I do agree with your assessment of the Edge rushers. Last year Bradley CHubb was given a second round grade in a strong edge rusher draft. Now he is top player on the board is it due to he got that much better or is it due to lack of options in a need position.
Hind sight is 20-20 and since we don't have it I would take Nelson or Payne at our spot. Still remeber the year we traded back and got Grossman and Haynes in the first round and passed on some hall of famers. Poor TV I actually threw my beer through the TV when Polamula went to the Steelers. One thing I do like about Pace when he targets a guy he goes after him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The question is, "Who is Pace's guy." Because as we have seen over the last couple of drafts, Pace is going to go and get his guy, come Hell or highwater. Right now, all of the mocks I have seen have Nelson gone before #8. Does Pace pull off another draft day trade up the board to get him, IF that is hi guy? Or does he try and trade down and pick up McGlinchey?