3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite

1. Tremaine Edmunds (EDGE) 2. Isaiah Wynn (OG)
42%
1. Minkah Fitzpatrick (SECONDARY) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)
3%
1. Quenton Nelson (OG) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)
55%

Total votes: 31
G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty straight-forward... please vote for the draft scenario you want most from the ones available.
Last edited by G08 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

My brain says Nelson/Carter, but my heart says Fitz/Carter.
wab
Mod

If I have to pick, I guess Nelson/Carter. I don't particularly care for my round 2 options in this scenario.

Nelson/Bryan
Edmunds/Bryan
Vea/Braden

...would be my personal preferences
Hematite
Player of the Month

Tough call. I chose #1 because my untrained mind/heart wants to believe Edmunds fills the edge rusher role very well.

If Pace doesn't think Edmunds can become a legit threat at pass rusher, I'd rather have the safer pick in Nelson and Carter.
Edge rusher is such a huge need for this team right now.
G08
Hall of Famer

I went with #1... I think Edmunds has the highest ceiling as a defender/pass rusher. I understand the lure of Harold Landry's ability to bend the edge, but giving someone like Tremaine Edmunds to Vic Fangio is the equivalent of giving a Queen to a Chessmaster.

Fangio could use him in a multitude of ways... inside linebacker in base downs, he can move him to the slot to cover WRs and/or TEs, he can matchup on a RB out of the backfield, and he can rush the passer. Having two OLBs that can not only pass rush but cover receivers and TEs is a luxury many teams do not have. (This also is why I love Minkah Fitzpatrick, but that's for another day).

It's not just about pass rushing with this kid -- he can literally do everything, but at 19 years old he needs to be allowed time to learn the nuances of the game and these positions. That's where a private visit becomes imperative; let Pace/Nagy/Fangio and the defensive staff sit down with this kid and see if he can pick things up quickly and more importantly if he has the drive and excitement to want to be used in such a manner. If they come away from that visit impressed with the kid, you have to take him.

I understand the Quenton Nelson love, but you can read Biggs' latest piece and he states how numerous personnel evaluators have told him guards are one of the easiest positions to fill in football. We're lucky at pick #39 to have some quality interior linemen from which to pick if we decide to address defense in round 1.

wab
Mod

I think more interior OL are going to go in round 1 than tackles.

Nelson is obvious. Wynn and Hernandez are pretty safe bets to go in the late teens/early twenties. Braden Smith, James Daniels, and Billy Price could sneak in there too.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think more interior OL are going to go in round 1 than tackles.

Nelson is obvious. Wynn and Hernandez are pretty safe bets to go in the late teens/early twenties. Braden Smith, James Daniels, and Billy Price could sneak in there too.
It's possible, but I think the overall talent at interior OL (plus us having one of the best in Hiestand) is much greater than the talent at OLB/EDGE. Let him identify 10 guys he would love to work with and pick one.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i went with nelson/carter, but if you're positing that nelson could be there at 8, there needs to be a chubb/guard option as well. which i am quietly wishing for.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:i went with nelson/carter, but if you're positing that nelson could be there at 8, there needs to be a chubb/guard option as well. which i am quietly wishing for.
I don't see how Chubb will be available at 8 so I didn't bother going with it. Nelson I could see a few scenarios in which he's available there (mostly tied to how teams value guards high in the draft).

Hematite
Player of the Month

RustyTrubisky wrote:i went with nelson/carter, but if you're positing that nelson could be there at 8, there needs to be a chubb/guard option as well. which i am quietly wishing for.

I want this one as well!!
wab
Mod

I don't think Chubb makes it out of the top 7. If he were to fall out of the top 5, I assume teams would be falling all over themselves trying to trade up.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I've just got chubb penciled in as my "player everyone authoritatively says is going really high and then slips a bit" for the year. His hype started too early in the offseason and as more players move up the board (and more teams jockey for QB's) he'll land right in our lap.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think 3 QBs are absolutely going to go in the top 7, which leaves Barkley/Nelson/Chubb/Fitzpatrick/Edwards. I'm fine with any of those 5 players and I don't think we have the juice to move up from 8 to 6 if someone is falling.
Last edited by G08 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malk
Head Coach

Our defence is still crying out for a standout playmaker. Hicks is there or there abouts but we need another (and for Hicks to get more rest). Edmunds is the only player I see that makes it to 8 who can fill that role, be it at edge or as an ILB.

Nelson might be a 10 year all pro but even then I don't think that value above another solid guard is enough for our team right now. It's a bit of a luxury pick for me.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Middleguard
MVP

malk wrote:Our defence is still crying out for a standout playmaker. Hicks is there or there abouts but we need another (and for Hicks to get more rest).
Hicks got paid. He came through. Bears need to stop killing him on snaps.
malk
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote:
malk wrote:Our defence is still crying out for a standout playmaker. Hicks is there or there abouts but we need another (and for Hicks to get more rest).
Hicks got paid. He came through. Bears need to stop killing him on snaps.
That's why we need another standout. Without a second difference maker they'll keep running Hicks into the ground. I hope it's Leonard but I think his ceiling is very, very good rather than great.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Umbali
MVP

Based on those options I went number 3. My heart wanted to go 1 or 2 because I like both round 1 options, however I think of O line dominance in front of a young QB and I think that is so valuable.

I love adding great potential to the defense...but I want Trubisky to never get happy feet and to trust his line.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
thunderspirit
Head Coach

If I have to pick one of these three, it'd be #1, largely because I'm not really a Carter fan.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Surprised/happy to see this is split.

wab
Mod

As you know, I'm an Edmunds fan... obvi. But I'm curious as to why you think he's draftable at 8 but Davenport is too raw to take in the same spot?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:As you know, I'm an Edmunds fan... obvi. But I'm curious as to why you think he's draftable at 8 but Davenport is too raw to take in the same spot?
Level of competition worries me a bunch, and with Edmunds I love the versatility he affords Fangio and this defense (I don't believe Davenport can do that). Vic can drop him into coverage and blitz a corner, he can put him on a RB and blitz an inside linebacker, etc. I think with Aaron Rodgers still in this division, we need to find a way to fuck with him and coverages. 6'5" 253 lbs dudes with 34.5" arms that run 4.54 are rare. He needs work, it's purely projection, but I strongly feel that if anyone can get the most out of this kid, it's Vic Fangio.

wab
Mod

I happen to agree with you.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I happen to agree with you.
Plus with Floyd having similar athletic traits, you can ostensibly use him in that "joker" role defensively since he already knows the system. This way you can tell Edmunds to just rush the passer and work on learning the nuances of the defense as the season progresses.

It'll take him time to get a feel for moves, counter-moves etc but there is nothing wrong with using him like Aldon Smith (granted Aldon Smith rushed a ton in college, but much to my surprise it seemed like a lot of his success came from the 3-technique rather than outside). Hand usage, leverage, and winning with speed should be his focus right now.

wab
Mod

If Nelson is gone, Edmunds is my guy. But I still want to figure out a way to get Rolland-Jones on the roster.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If Nelson is gone, Edmunds is my guy. But I still want to figure out a way to get Rolland-Jones on the roster.
I don't "love" anyone this year like I did in years past. When pick 8 comes around and Nelson is there, I'm good with it. If it's Edmunds, great. Davenport, Fitzpatrick, Ward are all fine with me.

I'm even good with Landry if we trade back to 11 or 12.

wab
Mod

yeah, there isn't a guy i'm dying to have. nor is there a guy where I'm like, no goddamn way
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Edmunds a lot.
I like Davenport a lot too.

Edmunds reminds me some of Anthony Barr, but honestly I kind of see a millionaire's De'Vondre Campbell in him.
Davenport reminds me a little of on-the-field Aldon Smith. Not nearly as strong, but the same kind of speed-to-power conversion.
KFFL refugee.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

None of these are my favorite. I have not drunk the "we fixed the receiver problem" kool-aid. I do think, post combine, a pick at number 8 for a WR would be a reach. I do think we should grab one in the 2nd. I'll go for my favorite.

1. Q. Nelson
2. DJ Moore
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
wab
Mod

staleystarch wrote:None of these are my favorite. I have not drunk the "we fixed the receiver problem" kool-aid. I do think, post combine, a pick at number 8 for a WR would be a reach. I do think we should grab one in the 2nd. I'll go for my favorite.

1. Q. Nelson
2. DJ Moore
So, what WR goes then? And even after cutting someone, Moore isn't going to be higher than 5 on the depth chart.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:
staleystarch wrote:None of these are my favorite. I have not drunk the "we fixed the receiver problem" kool-aid. I do think, post combine, a pick at number 8 for a WR would be a reach. I do think we should grab one in the 2nd. I'll go for my favorite.

1. Q. Nelson
2. DJ Moore
So, what WR goes then? And even after cutting someone, Moore isn't going to be higher than 5 on the depth chart.
Furthermore, I really like Moore; but there's every reason to think he will be the first WR off the board, and that's likely to happen in Round One.
KFFL refugee.