Lamar Jackson Pro Day

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:Runs too much and will get killed in the nfl. Looks fairly slight on his build for running as well.

Not this shit again.

Most of those QB runs are designed runs in the Petrino offense. 3/4 of Jackson's rushing yards were on designed runs.
And being designed runs would mean what?

He sure as heck ain't built like Cam or Russell and I would predict he will break down due to his build/frame along with his propensity to run.

And if he isn't drafted to run and throw, then he is a 5th round pick because just based on throwing & accuracy he won't cut it.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:Runs too much and will get killed in the nfl. Looks fairly slight on his build for running as well.

Not this shit again.

Most of those QB runs are designed runs in the Petrino offense. 3/4 of Jackson's rushing yards were on designed runs.

He sure as heck ain't built like Cam or Russell and I would predict he will break down due to his build/frame along with his propensity to run.

And if he isn't drafted to run and throw, then he is a 5th round pick because just based on throwing & accuracy he won't cut it.
This is the dumbest shit on this board - and it happens every year. Lamar Jackson was a hell of a lot closer to Johnny Manziel in college than he was to Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. Unfortunately for Lamar he didn't have Mike Evans to lob passes to like Johnny did.

It doesn't matter how often he ran in college (on designed run plays) because it isn't happening in the NFL. The fact he is dangerous on his feet will always be a threat the defense has to account for - but no sane NFL OC is going to run him 20 times a game like Petrino did.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I disagree, Hiphopopotamos.

I'm not suggesting Jackson is going to be a running QB. But there are a lot more pro tendencies in Jackson's Lousiville offense than there were in Manziel's Texas A&M offense, so I don't buy the comparison to Manziel.

Jackson is inconsistent with his throwing mechanics. When his accuracy is off, it's usually due to this. When they're sound, his accuracy is fine. It's up to him and to his pro QB coach to work on those. Without that work, he'll go only as far as his athleticism takes him. With that work, the sky is the limit.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Not this shit again.

This is the dumbest shit on this board - and it happens every year. Lamar Jackson was a hell of a lot closer to Johnny Manziel in college than he was to Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. Unfortunately for Lamar he didn't have Mike Evans to lob passes to like Johnny did.

It doesn't matter how often he ran in college (on designed run plays) because it isn't happening in the NFL. The fact he is dangerous on his feet will always be a threat the defense has to account for - but no sane NFL OC is going to run him 20 times a game like Petrino did.
He is a great athlete but if you think a qb that is as fast as he is, but inconsistent with his accuracy as he is, isn’t going to fall back on running we will have to agree to disagree. All draftniks are discussing rpo offense for him, which means more runs than normal, and he ran a lot in college which is what he is going to fall back on naturally.

It isn’t the actual number of runs called, it’s the times he gets hit that will add up and he has a small lower frame which would tend to potentially mean he is going to get hurt.

And, like I said, if he isn’t drafted to do both he is a 5th round pick based on his play from the pocket alone.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

1. If you watch the tape you'll see that he is actually very patient and stays in the pocket through his 3 and 4 WR progressions. That's actually the entire point Waldman was making in the video i posted: he has poise. He doesn't panic and run

2. Seven quarterbacks got drafted before the 5th round last year. There is still plenty of QB need this year so calling a guy a fifth rounder is quite a shot to take at a guy who threw for 3600 yards and 27 TDs last year on an offense with literally one guy invited to the combine - a mid-round graded OT.

Here are the top 8 quarterbacks in this year's draft:

Josh Rosen
Mason Rudolph
Josh Allen
Sam Darnold
Chase Litton
Luke Falk
Mike White
Lamar Jackson

If you were targeting a depth QB in the 4th round and you had Litton, Falk, White, and Jackson on the board... you're like hey that Luke Falk guy has nice ball placement and height. Let's get em?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:Here are the top 8 quarterbacks in this year's draft:

Josh Rosen
Mason Rudolph
Josh Allen
Sam Darnold
Chase Litton
Luke Falk
Mike White
Lamar Jackson

If you were targeting a depth QB in the 4th round and you had Litton, Falk, White, and Jackson on the board... you're like hey that Luke Falk guy has nice ball placement and height. Let's get em?
No Baker Mayfield?
wab
Mod

Still, I agree with you. 7 QB's are going in the first 45 picks. Jackson is one of those.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Crap. Yes Baker Mayfield.

Alright I'll just try to rank them:

Darnold
Rosen
Mayfield
Jackson
Rudolph

Should go right away and 3 or 4 will be at least decent starters.

Allen
Falk

go in the late first / early second. Allen looks bad but has athletic traits while Falk is a future journeyman backup most likely.

Litton

looks Tom Savage af so nobody should draft him but the NFL likes big white QBs so he'll go in the 3rd/4th

White

looks like a product of a system that throws a million short passes and played against bad competition. I dunno... the 4th or 5th round I guess?
xyt in the discord chats