Who's interested in doing a full mock draft here?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

We did it for something like 15 straight years at the MOSF/KFFL/USAToday forums. The actual draft is in about 4 weeks and that's about how long it took. The value of this was to interject some fun into this time when everyone is dying for the draft to get here when FA died there was little to talk about. I didn't participate the last few years, but as I recall, here's how we did it...

We started by asking for who would want to participate and to post "I'll take xxx team" (that wasn't taken already). Sometimes people had to take 2 teams. In a couple days, all the teams were chosen and the draft started about a day later. To manage the draft, we created a MockCommish account that would create posts of the selection order that that user could edit when the selections were made. About 4 people volunteered to manage the thing and shared the MockCommish credentials.

The draft proceeded every day from 8am to 10pm central. Selections were in the actual NFL draft order. Every team had up to 2 hours on the clock by themselves, based on the time the prior pick was chosen. Once the 2 hours elapsed, the next team was also on the clock. To avoid the problem of schedule conflicts and unavailability, players were strongly encouraged to PM the MockCommish account (or another poster) with a proxy list for what to do when they got on the clock, if they expected to not be available. Whoever had the proxy would post on the team owner's behalf to keep things moving.

At 10pm, the clock stopped for the day and didn't restart until 8am. Picks could still be made after hours, but were not required. If 1:40 of a teams time had expired by 10pm, they were on the clock until 8:20 the next morning.

When the draft was over, we counted points for selections. If you chose a guy with the 100th pick and he was actually chosen 70th, you got 30 points. If you chose a player 130th who never got drafted, I think we subtracted 130 from the total draft selections + 1. I think you got bonus points (10?) if the actual NFL team that you're picking for picked a player you chose. But I don't remember those details for sure. It would be pretty easy to work out.

Pitfalls... Obviously, the biggest problem was that a team owner would just quit participating. Stuff happens. When an owner was still on the clock after maybe 10 players below him have been chosen, one of the MockCommish guys would just make a reasonable choice for them on their behalf and move on. Those situations happened, but were unusual.

Running out of time... Things move pretty good in the first couple rounds, then tends to slow down in later rounds. It's critical to get all done before the draft starts and we generally made it.

Our solution to these issues was generally peer pressure. "Encouragement" if you will. But in the end, I think the participants had a pretty good time and sometimes guys would get selected higher than most expect and generate more discussion.

Anybody think we could make this happen? Who's in?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm in - although the draft is less than 4 weeks out. We're about 16 days away, today is the 10th and the draft is on the 26th. If we were to have done this, we should have started in March IMO. If we get enough peeps, I'm in though.
Never Die Easy
cblaz11
MVP

I'm in, we can fly through it.

I'll take...The Bears? Lol
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I’m in. I’d like to take the Saints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Wow. I was really confused. I thought the draft was like May 8th. I guess I'm remembering last year.

OK, DaSuperfan is right that we don't have enough time now. But we need to do this next year! Former KFFL folks... Don't let me forget!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What if we do it for 3 rounds and stop there?