Rumor: Bears calling about trade up

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@incarceratedbob

**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**
Source: Colts are taking calls on #6 overall pick with multiple teams interested in moving up. So far Dolphins and Bears are showing most interest. Bills and Patriots could jump in if targeted player(s) are on board
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

With what???

I can certainly buy Pace having a chub for Chubb, but what does he have to part with? Both 4ths - and basically have a 2 pick draft?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote:With what???

I can certainly buy Pace having a chub for Chubb, but what does he have to part with? Both 4ths - and basically have a 2 pick draft?
If Barkley's there at 6, the Bears are packaging the 8th pick with Howard to move up for Barkley, is my thought.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Moriarty wrote:With what???

If Barkley's there at 6, the Bears are packaging the 8th pick with Howard to move up for Barkley, is my thought.
That would be my guess too.
wab
Mod

If...and it’s a big if, that trade more than likely involves Howard as UOK said, because the Bears don’t have much capital to work with And is to ensure he gets one of Chubb/Nelson/Barkley.

I just think it’s a bad idea to trade a top 5 player
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If...and it’s a big if, that trade more than likely involves Howard as UOK said, because the Bears don’t have much capital to work with And is to ensure he gets one of Chubb/Nelson/Barkley.

I just think it’s a bad idea to trade a top 5 player
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I feel compelled to remind everyone that IncarceratedBob is full of shit. He flings metaphorical shit against the wall in the form of tweets and then deletes what doesn’t stick. He’s garbage.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I kind of get the logic. Barkley has all pro potential, and is a perfect fit for this offense. Pace likes to draft that athletic difference maker in the first. Barkley would look good here. This draft isn't great. It's kind of middle heavy and positional weak. However this team can't really give up picks. They need more 2-3 round picks to fill in this roster.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Again... opportunity cost. Yes, Barkley would be a perfect fit and pretty amazing. But would we be better with just Barkley or with Howard and Nelson (or whoever)? You can make the "we don't have any superstars" argument for Barkley. But 2 at least near Pro Bowl starters sounds better to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

UOK
Site Admin

I saw this via Sports Mockery who is as full of shit as anyone, and this rumor should be taken with grains of salt the size of large sea life.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:I saw this via Sports Mockery who is as full of shit as anyone, and this rumor should be taken with grains of salt the size of large sea life.
How Erik Lambert survives on Twitter is nothing short of a miracle. I intentionally take time out of every day to tell him how wrong he is about almost everything.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Again... opportunity cost. Yes, Barkley would be a perfect fit and pretty amazing. But would we be better with just Barkley or with Howard and Nelson (or whoever)? You can make the "we don't have any superstars" argument for Barkley. But 2 at least near Pro Bowl starters sounds better to me.
Excellent point.

Trading up for Barkley by giving up the 8 and Howard isn't the worst idea in the world, but I would rather have Howard and Davenport / Vea / Edmunds.

If Barkley is sitting there at 8, take him, otherwise no.

For reference, the point value difference between 6 and 8 is 200 points. This implies that Howard on his own is worth a mid 3rd round pick. If somebody called the Bears and offered that straight up for Howard there's no way we should do that.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:If somebody called the Bears and offered that straight up for Howard there's no way we should do that.
I might be tempted to do that trade.

If Barkley is there at 8 Howard is on the bench. Howard is probably worth a 3rd.
britbear
Player of the Month

Ok, every draft has its surprises, but I cannot see Barkley being available at #6, so this is all moot. Most of the mock drafts have him gone by #5 at the latest. No way this happens.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:I saw this via Sports Mockery who is as full of shit as anyone, and this rumor should be taken with grains of salt the size of large sea life.
How Erik Lambert survives on Twitter is nothing short of a miracle. I intentionally take time out of every day to tell him how wrong he is about almost everything.
Negative attention is still attention
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Umbali
MVP

I still think you dont take a position where you dont have a need...and create one by trading Howard. Seriously? Thats his reward for being our main source of offense?
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
You weren't kidding! :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

Can't wait until all this nonsense stops.. 4/26..can't come soon enough..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Can't wait until all this nonsense stops.. 4/26..can't come soon enough..
No doubt!

G08
Hall of Famer

10 days and 22 hours dudes

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:10 days and 22 hours dudes
I don’t even want to do any more mock drafts.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I know. I've already made plans. Since they changed from the weekend schedule I liked--when I would always clean my garage during the draft, I now have made it my (Packer fan) son's birthday present (4/28 if you're scoring at home) to go to a bar that's not too crazy or crowded, has the TVs with the sound on and buy dinner and beer. We're establishing tradition by doing this for the 2nd year in a row. I can't wait, especially because I think the odds are good that we'll trade back and we'll both watch the drama unfold with anticipation growing well into R1. :)

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
I know. I've already made plans. Since they changed from the weekend schedule I liked--when I would always clean my garage during the draft, I now have made it my (Packer fan) son's birthday present (4/28 if you're scoring at home) to go to a bar that's not too crazy or crowded, has the TVs with the sound on and buy dinner and beer. We're establishing tradition by doing this for the 2nd year in a row. I can't wait, especially because I think the odds are good that we'll trade back and we'll both watch the drama unfold with anticipation growing well into R1. :)
I've watched the draft every year with the same core of friends since 1996. Friends I had back in high school wanted to have something that we could all agree to use as an excuse to always get together at least on a yearly basis.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

We have a former #7 pick to dangle out there :rofl:
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
wab
Mod

Bagging on Kevin White is getting boring. We get it, he's been hurt.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

T-minus one week (and change) and counting...........

G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Bagging on Kevin White is getting boring. We get it, he's been hurt.
And hurt....and hurt....and hurt....
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:Bagging on Kevin White is getting boring. We get it, he's been hurt.
And hurt....and hurt....and hurt....
And that's basically where the narrative ends.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I love Howard, and if the choice were to keep Howard and take Nelson over trading up and losing Howard for Barkley, I'd take Nelson. I love having a better Oline and believe that will help any RB we have...and protect Mitch better. But, if we do such a trade I will not be upset since Barkley is such an upgrade over Howard talent-wise that would be simply sick to have a talent of that magnitude. If we trade Howard and take Chubb....I LOVE it for the defense, but it does necessitate using another of our limited picks for another RB...and there is no knowing if the new one can match Howard's production.