Realistic Draft Prep Article

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Good read, thanks! Sounds like they are expecting Nelson to be ours at 8. I don't love it but I certainly understand it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I thought this part was spectacularly jaw-dropping:
A scout on that Giants’ staff, Greg Gabriel, recalls that New York had Keyshawn Johnson, Kevin Hardy, Simeon Rice and Jonathan Ogden in some order as their top four players. Sure enough, Johnson, Hardy, Rice and Ogden ended up going 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Giants entered the draft certain that Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips would be picked somewhere in the top four, and perhaps even wideout Terry Glenn or tackle Willie Anderson. But no: When the first four picks were taken, as Gabriel tells the story, the Giants were stuck.

“There wasn’t a plan for all four to be gone,” Gabriel, a veteran scout now working as an NFL analyst for Pro Football Weekly and 670 The Score in Chicago. “We were on the clock and didn’t have a player we really liked, so George got on the phone and tried to trade down, and we just couldn’t get a good offer.” The Giants ended up picking defensive end Cedric Jones from Oklahoma. He went sackless in his first 28 NFL games and was a near-bust in five NFL seasons.

Said Gabriel: “I learned more from that draft than from anything: You gotta be prepared for the worst.”
You guys "learned from that incident"?!? Cripes, that's like saying "And that's how I learned trying to down a gallon of vodka in an evening is a bad idea". Sometimes these things ought to be pre-obvious. Drafting 5th and not having a plan that goes 5 options deep is just mind-blowing. (And another piece of evidence in terms of 'How I think people often give front offices too much credit')
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:I thought this part was spectacularly jaw-dropping:
A scout on that Giants’ staff, Greg Gabriel, recalls that New York had Keyshawn Johnson, Kevin Hardy, Simeon Rice and Jonathan Ogden in some order as their top four players. Sure enough, Johnson, Hardy, Rice and Ogden ended up going 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Giants entered the draft certain that Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips would be picked somewhere in the top four, and perhaps even wideout Terry Glenn or tackle Willie Anderson. But no: When the first four picks were taken, as Gabriel tells the story, the Giants were stuck.

“There wasn’t a plan for all four to be gone,” Gabriel, a veteran scout now working as an NFL analyst for Pro Football Weekly and 670 The Score in Chicago. “We were on the clock and didn’t have a player we really liked, so George got on the phone and tried to trade down, and we just couldn’t get a good offer.” The Giants ended up picking defensive end Cedric Jones from Oklahoma. He went sackless in his first 28 NFL games and was a near-bust in five NFL seasons.

Said Gabriel: “I learned more from that draft than from anything: You gotta be prepared for the worst.”
You guys "learned from that incident"?!? Cripes, that's like saying "And that's how I learned trying to down a gallon of vodka in an evening is a bad idea". Sometimes these things ought to be pre-obvious. Drafting 5th and not having a plan that goes 5 options deep is just mind-blowing. (And another piece of evidence in terms of 'How I think people often give front offices too much credit')
And that's EXACTLY why I posted a thread called Name Your Top 8. So when some respond with less than 8 selections, they put themselves in that position. Maybe I'm being harsh, but what you're pointing out is exactly the point of the exercise. I wish the posters who make those posts recognized that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.