My FINAL 2018 mock draft.

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I thought something that would be fun for me, would be rather than do a "Floor and ceiling" comparison, would be a "Pro and Pro bowl" comparisons. Not necessarily saying this is who I believe they'll become as players. More so when watching their tape, traits they share with a starting-caliber player, as well as with an elite player at they're respective position. Here's what I got.

(P.S. I'll just rip this band-aid off, the o-line was not addressed in this mock draft.)

Round 1: Marcus Davenport - DE, Texas-San Antonio
All the talent in the world. Athletic as hell. Put on about 10 pounds for the combine, and still performed lights out. There’s a lot of talent we already have on the defensive line, although starting pass rusher Willie Young was released. In our division, putting pressure in the passer’s face is very important. Up the middle is not an issue, but consistent pressure off the edge is key.

He’s the “sexy” pick compared to the more “practical” OG Quenton Nelson. Nelson could go as high as #2, and Marcus has been mocked as high as #9. Apparently the Bears are weighing all options, including trading up and trading down. I guess they should figure whether they need more help keeping our QB up, or knocking opposing QBs down.

Coming off a Senior year with 18 tackles-for-loss, 8.5 sacks, and a conference Defensive Player of the Year award, he makes a lot of sense here. He’s still got growing to do. He’s got learning to do. His arrow is pointing straight up.

Pro Comp: Ziggy Ansah
Pro Bowl Comp: DeMarcus Ware

Round 2: Christian Kirk - WR, Texas A&M
Easily one my favorite prospects this year, he seems tailor-made for this offense. Add in his ability as a return-man, he’s be a great addition to the team.

He spent a majority of his time in the slot, and that could push him to the second round, but that’s alright. Even while being a slot receiver, he was the leader in yards and TDs in two of his three seasons. 80 catches, 1,009 yards, and 7 TDs as a Freshman in 2015. 71 catches, 919 yards, and 10 TDs as a Junior in 2017. He was second on the team as a sophomore with 83 catches, 928 yards, and 9 TDs.

His compact frame(5'11" 205lbs) could be a detractor, but for someone who had so many touches per game, he played in every game in his college career. He’s got plenty of toughness.

Pro Comp: Percy Harvin
Pro Bowl Comp: Steve Smith, Sr.

Round 4: Simmie Cobbs, Jr. - WR, Indiana
I wasn’t sure about doubling up on receivers, but with the news of the Bears letting Cameron Meredith go the Saints, this makes sense. Similar big-body receiver like Meredith, if not a bit bigger. He’s also got better hands.

After a 1,000 hard season in 2015 as a Sophomore, he took a medical redshirt year in 2016 after suffering an ankle injury. He came back in 2017 as a Junior to lead his team again with 72 catches, 841 yards, and 8 TDs.

Pro Comp: Martavis Bryant
Pro Bowl Comp: Alshon Jeffery

Round 4: B.J. Hill - DT, North Carolina St.
One would think that playing next to Bradley Chubb, he’d produce more than he did, but his numbers don’t fully measure his effectiveness. His role at N.C. State wasn’t that of a pass rusher, he was a 1-gap run stopper. Piling up 183 career tackles, as well as 24 for a loss. His experience at 3-tech can get him on the field in sub packages, but at 6’4” 315lbs., he has the size and athletic ability to play 5.

Pro Comp: Kenny Clark
Pro Bowl Comp: Fletcher Cox

Round 5: Dominick Sanders - DB, Georgia
Four-year starter. Missed one game back in his freshman year. He’s not a great tackler, but he averaged about 40 tackles per year. With 16 career interceptions, he should have some intrigue.

I labeled him a DB because he started at safety, however I think he fits the big nickel role in Fangio’s defense, but with better zone coverage skills. Potentially moving Callahan to the dime package.

Pro Comp: Micah Hyde
Pro Bowl Comp: Casey Hayward

Round 6: Jordan Thomas - TE, Mississippi St.
At a physically imposing 6’6” 270lbs, the kid is as green as grass. A community college transfer, he caught just 9 passes as a Junior. Finding a role on the outside as mismatch, his senior season saw 22 catches, 263 yards, and 3 TDs.

There’s a foundation, but there’s a bit of work to be done. His routes could use work, and he needs to be shown how to use his strength and massive frame to box-out defenders.

He had a terrific combine. He showed he’s one of the most athletic tight ends in the draft this year. MSU played him outside for a reason.

Pro Comp: Larry Donnell
Pro Bowl Comp: Martellus Bennett

Round 7: Larry Rose III - RB, New Mexico State
Not a need, but this guy is a real talent. Over 4,500 rushing yards at an impressive 5.9 yards per carry in his career. With 130+ catches and 1,100+ receiving yards as well, he could be a nice piece in this offense.

Pro Comp: Giovani Bernard
Pro Bowl Comp: Jamaal Charles

UDFA
Shane Morris QB Central Michigan
Thomas Owens WR FIU
Blake Bone WR Kentucky
Alfonso Onunwor WR Idaho

Genard Avery ILB Memphis
Kendall Vickers DL Tennessee
DeQuinton Osborne DT OK State
cblaz11
MVP

I like this draft a lot. Question, who else were you considering with the Kirk and Cobbs picks? I like them both, just curious who else was on the board?
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

cblaz11 wrote:I like this draft a lot. Question, who else were you considering with the Kirk and Cobbs picks? I like them both, just curious who else was on the board?
As far as round 2, I went back and forth with Kirk and UTEP G Will Hernandez. Once I went all in on Davenport, I wanted an offensive player. Hernandez is small but he's strong as an ox, so I think his NFL position will be center, but I like Kirk too much to pass on him should he fall.

If we had retained Meredith, I probably would've gone with Cobbs. There's some development tackles I like. Tyrell Crosby from Oregon. Brandon Parker from North Carolina A&T. I think ILB depth could prove to be an issue behind Danny and Nick Kwiatkoski, so I threw around names like Jerome Baker out of Ohio State, and Matthew Thomas form FSU.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'd have gone OL in R2. But it's not like Kirk is a bad pick.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nice work! I personally don't like drafting two WRs, we need an OG (Grasu is in the final year of his contract) and ILB depth (Kwiatkoski and Trevathan are out of contract after next season).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
BR0D1E86
MVP

Kirk would be a fine pick, but in your scenario I’d have taken Hernandez. I don’t think we’re in any position or have the need to take two receivers.

Wouldn’t be all that unhappy if it shakes out this way though.
wab
Mod

I feel like it's being lost on folks that the Bears have moved one of their only backup defensive linemen to the offensive line.

Yes... I know that they play in sub packages a lot, but the only defensive linemen the Bears have are Hicks, Goldman, RRH, Bullard, and Jenkins.

How are people not worrying about this, but are concerned with taking a guy who would be the 4th or 5th WR in the second round?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I feel like it's being lost on folks that the Bears have moved one of their only backup defensive linemen to the offensive line.

Yes... I know that they play in sub packages a lot, but the only defensive linemen the Bears have are Hicks, Goldman, RRH, Bullard, and Jenkins.

How are people not worrying about this, but are concerned with taking a guy who would be the 4th or 5th WR in the second round?
And our EDGE rushers are Leonard Floyd, Sam Acho, Aaron Lynch and Isaiah Irving.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Z Bear
MVP

I really think Vita Vea is in play at #8 more than we realize. I feel out D would be more benefited by Vea playing next to Goldman and Hicks more than Edmunds/Smith at LB or Landry/Davenpot at Edge.
UOK
Site Admin

Z Bear wrote:I really think Vita Vea is in play at #8 more than we realize. I feel out D would be more benefited by Vea playing next to Goldman and Hicks more than Edmunds/Smith at LB or Landry/Davenpot at Edge.
Ugh, I would be stoked if they took Vea.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Z Bear wrote:I really think Vita Vea is in play at #8 more than we realize. I feel out D would be more benefited by Vea playing next to Goldman and Hicks more than Edmunds/Smith at LB or Landry/Davenpot at Edge.
I could live with that. Moreso if we traded down with Buffalo or Arizona.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:
He's a top 12 pick. If the Bears want him they need to just do it at #8.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

BUT DER'S NO VALUE DARE

GOTTA TRADE DOWNTA GET HIM AT 14 OR SOMETIN BECAUZ PACE WILL GET FLEECED AGAIN IF HET TAKES DIS GUY AT 8

I'LL HANGUP AND LISSEN TO YOUR ANSWERS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

BUT DER'S NO VALUE DARE

GOTTA TRADE DOWNTA GET HIM AT 14 OR SOMETIN BECAUZ PACE WILL GET FLEECED AGAIN IF HET TAKES DIS GUY AT 8

Ass. :lol:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:

BUT DER'S NO VALUE DARE

Ass. :lol:

Haha, not a jab at you! Just saying that there's rarely a perfect solution for these things. It's been proven that if you have conviction on a guy, right or wrong, you kind of have to eat the value. Gambling to get that player later using some thrifty trades is always something I think we all crave, but that rarely works out.
Z Bear
MVP

Need vs BPA.... If you draft for need you tend to over-value a little. Is gambling on a mid-first round talent early in the first round a huge deal? Probably not. Pace has drafted for need in the first round the last two years, he jumped up for Floyd and Trubisky, giving up draft capital to do so for each of them, reaching a little. What is the difference between that and staying put and drafting a guy you like a little early?
UOK
Site Admin

Z Bear wrote:Need vs BPA.... If you draft for need you tend to over-value a little. Is gambling on a mid-first round talent early in the first round a huge deal? Probably not. Pace has drafted for need in the first round the last two years, he jumped up for Floyd and Trubisky, giving up draft capital to do so for each of them, reaching a little. What is the difference between that and staying put and drafting a guy you like a little early?

Pace would tell you he drafted for "conviction," but that's all semantics.

The trading up aspect is essentially insurance to guarantee the guys he doesn't want to slip away. Taking no chances. That obviously means you have to be 100%, and obviously the next couple years of Floyd and Trubisky's improvement will be telling as to if Ryan Pace's gut is worth trusting.

The Patriots interestingly talked recently about how drafting for need is the worst thing you can do.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I don't see two WR in the first four picks. It's a good draft, but I'm guessing that two of the first four are an EDGE, and OL.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

As much as the lack of depth at WR on the Bears roster scares me, I just don't seem them drafting two WRs in this draft, especially with back-to-back picks. I just don't see a scenario where the Bears draft two WRs, two defensive linemen and not a single guy along the offensive line.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton