Rumor: Dolphins want Smith, Jets a 'lock' for Mayfield

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have the latest word on what the Green Bay Packers and Miami Dolphins may do and what the Dallas Cowboys won’t do.

People familiar with the situation believe the Green Bay Packers are likely to select either Minkah Fitzpatrick or Josh Jackson with their first-round selection. And while the team needs a pass rusher, they are desperate for help in the secondary.

The point was made that Fitzpatrick and Jackson both fit the cornerback/safety hybrid mold which the team prefers. I’m told Denzel Ward of Ohio State is the player the Packers truly covet, but short of trading up, the team won’t have a shot at drafting him.

If the Miami Dolphins don’t move up for a quarterback, sources tell me the player they really want is Roquan Smith. But will Smith be available when the team is called to the clock? In our recent mock draft, we have the Oakland Raiders selecting Smith with the pick immediately preceding the Dolphins’ selection.

If that happens, I’m told linebacker Leighton Vander Esch will be a consideration for the Dolphins if they can’t get a quarterback and both Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are off the board.

Director of college scouting Adam Engroff, a resident of Boise, Idaho, has been raving about Vander Esch since last summer and rates the junior on a par with Edmunds. Vander Esch would definitely help the run defense and has the athleticism the team needs to cover running backs and tight ends.

Despite needing a wide receiver, I’m told the Dallas Cowboys do not consider Courtland Sutton of SMU a first-round talent. They would consider him in Round 2 if they don’t address the position in Round 1 and Sutton falls that far.

Two weeks ago, we reported that league insiders believe the New York Jets will select quarterback Baker Mayfield with the third selection. And while Josh Rosen is still in consideration for the pick, those representing the top quarterbacks in this draft tell me they also believe Mayfield ends up with the Jets. One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a “done deal.”
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not sure how much this affects us or even that it’s really news given how vague it is, but Schefter says Mayfield is a possibility to go 1st to the Browns.

https://apple.news/AiF5iWyWmSbC8pHF0N-xoJg
UOK
Site Admin

BR0D1E86 wrote:Not sure how much this affects us or even that it’s really news given how vague it is, but Schefter says Mayfield is a possibility to go 1st to the Browns.

https://apple.news/AiF5iWyWmSbC8pHF0N-xoJg
Thursday is going to be nuts.
wab
Mod

I've been saying it for a while now - from a scheme/philosophy standpoint, Mayfield makes the most sense.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:I've been saying it for a while now - from a scheme/philosophy standpoint, Mayfield makes the most sense.
Especially if you're going to let him sit for a year...work out kinks in his mechanics and get him a couple off seasons of film study
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Teams are clearly playing the "leak crap" game now. Unless they aren't, of course.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Unless the Browns are shopping the first pick, the whole cloak and dagger thing doesn't make sense.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Unless the Browns are shopping the first pick, the whole cloak and dagger thing doesn't make sense.
I was talking to my buddy about this, I think there's that small sliver of hope that NYG really wants Darnold and CLE might try to get a pick or two out of them to move up one slot and get him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Unless the Browns are shopping the first pick, the whole cloak and dagger thing doesn't make sense.
I was talking to my buddy about this, I think there's that small sliver of hope that NYG really wants Darnold and CLE might try to get a pick or two out of them to move up one slot and get him.
I think NY really wants Darnold and is pretending to love Barkley to convince CLE they can't count on getting him at 4.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.