View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:17 am 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
I don’t really want to revisit it.
That's a totally fair answer. And I'll admit, its a weird thread to start 2 days before the next draft.

He just put that thing in a way I hadn't quite thought of. And for those (like me) who said that he went up and got his guy and I like that, I think it's fair to ask the question though. Just another case of the opportunity cost thing. :evilgrin:

And let's face it.... This place has been pretty dead for a few days. :-P

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote:
I agree it's over. They got their guy.

The question is more do you trust Pace? It's a larger question and not easily answered. To honest it's been discussed in several threads, and kind of beaten to death.

Not really. I trust him loosely to make the best decisions in the best interests of the team, but I don't automatically sign off on every move he makes. He's not been a bad GM at all, but at some point soon this team needs to start winning or else he'll be on his ass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:24 am 
Assistant Coach

IotaNet wrote:
wab wrote:
I don’t really want to revisit it.

Agreed. I was a big Deshaun Watson guy but I’m not the GM. Pace did what he needed to do to get HIS guy. Time will tell if he was right. Move on.

+1.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am 
Hall of Famer

I doubt Laurence Holmes has any more insight into what goes on in Halas Hall than we do, and his way too long after the fact take on the Trubisky draft action was more due to a deadline to submit something rather than any attempt to be informative or useful

so here ya go Laurence :flick:

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:19 am 
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
The question is more do you trust Pace?
Also a fair question. For me, the honeymoon period is over. It's time to put up. I think he's done some good things, for sure. And some not so good. He seems a bit Jerry Angelo-like in that we haven't seen his R1 picks--and quite high ones at that #7, #9 and #2--be difference makers on a team that desperately needs them. That said, I like what I've seen out of Trubisky quite a lot and you can see the elite flashes with Floyd. Obviously, a huge key for Pace is Nagy. That guy better be all that or Pace is sunk.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I actually respect Holmes quite a great deal. He's been in the business long enough and has enough proximity to the team and players to know a thing or two.

That said, I don't feel like this line of thought is really...relevant, I guess. At least not right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 am 
Head Coach

It's not helpful and it's also overreacting

I'll re-litigate: We got two starters and a contributor so it was a good draft. It's a shame that it cost us a third rounder this year but we have two fourth rounders. It'll be ok.

criticism of pace should focus on his inability to find FAs who can make lasting contributions despite the cap space he's had to work with but we can revisit that next offseason or hopefully we don't have to because the new FA group looks good

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:17 am 
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote:
It's not helpful and it's also overreacting

I'll re-litigate: We got two starters and a contributor so it was a good draft. It's a shame that it cost us a third rounder this year but we have two fourth rounders. It'll be ok.

criticism of pace should focus on his inability to find FAs who can make lasting contributions despite the cap space he's had to work with but we can revisit that next offseason or hopefully we don't have to because the new FA group looks good

All of this requires future context that we simply don't have yet, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 am 
Assistant Coach

I like Lawrence Holmes and think the world of him as a host.
I just think he's off-base on this one.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 am 
Head Coach

If Pace hadn't traded at all, but still drafted Trubisky, Shaheen, Jackson, Cohen, Morgan, and a couple of busts... what would people say about that draft? That's a good draft right? WTF everyone? Do we have hundreds of think pieces written about the loss of a 3rd round pick?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next