View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 am 
Head Coach

sturf wrote:
1. Daniels might actually stick at guard, and I think the Bears have reasons why they would want it to stick. In terms of combine measurements he is already a little bigger and longer than Whitehair was at the combine, and benched more reps. Given that he is only 20 years old he may end up significantly heavier and stronger than Whitehair who at this point is pretty maxed out as far as carrying weight. For every person that says Whitehair is better at guard there is another that says he is better at center. I think what is true is that there is NFL tape of Whitehair playing center at a high level. Whitehair playing guard at a high level in the NFL is more projection even if it is a reasonable projection.

2. They can always switch to Daniels at center and Whitehair at guard if it doesn't work, but in the meantime they can let Daniels settle in and learn without having to make the line calls, while he is learning the offense. Whitehair and Kush can handle the 1st and 2nd team center duties and the calls. This also most likely lets Daniels complete directly with Kush at the same position for the starting job.
Fixed that for you. :-P :evilgrin:

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am 
Hall of Famer

I think the overarching point for me is that we have the following dudes competing for 5 spots on the OL:

Leno
Daniels
Whitehair
Long
Massie
Kush
Morgan
Sowell

I'm sure I'm forgetting others. Let these dudes get after it and I'm beyond comfortable with Hiestand deciding who should go where.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:33 pm 
Head Coach

I think we should have a 6'3" finesse LT play next to our 6'3" finesse LG. I see major problems with that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:15 pm 
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
I think we should have a 6'3" finesse LT play next to our 6'3" finesse LG. I see major problems with that.

6’3” LT with longer arms than the 6’7” and 6’8” OTs who went in the top 15 of this draft. Leno has longer arms then every 1st round OL in this draft.

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:46 pm 
Head Coach

Arm length isn't the worry. It's about putting 2 smaller linemen, whom both are not power guys, next to eachother. Do you disagree with my premise?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:01 pm 
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
Arm length isn't the worry. It's about putting 2 smaller linemen, whom both are not power guys, next to eachother. Do you disagree with my premise?

Yes. I don’t think having lighter lineman is in and of itself an issue. Atlanta has had one of the best and smallest OL in football two years straight. It doesn’t surprise me that Nagy values athleticism over sheer power/size. Same with NO and NE.

Obviously you’d like both - but as opposed to a decade ago I think teams, especially teams running more modern offenses, are favoring lighter and more athletic OL over 330 pound pluggers.

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:44 pm 
Assistant Coach

I'm with Hiphopopotamus. Zone schemes emphasize athleticism over brute strength.

Maybe we're both wrong, and if so you're welcome to say "I told you so."

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm 
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:

I'd be very concerned if we still had Mike Tice and were implementing a power blocking scheme.

Good thing we aren't :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:21 pm 
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:
I'm with Hiphopopotamus. Zone schemes emphasize athleticism over brute strength.

From the center over to the left the Bears are 6’3 305. On the right they are 6’6 320.

It’s weird and I don’t understand it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:36 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

From the center over to the left the Bears are 6’3 305. On the right they are 6’6 320.

It’s weird and I don’t understand it.

A lot of teams are 'right handed' and you'll see most of their runs go in that direction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next