View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Search for:
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 pm 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm
Posts: 1924
Location: South Dakota
It isn't just about the measurable as far as height and weight, it's can they play and do what needs to be done. Now don't take that as saying we should have a 260 lb line, but who cares what leno's stats are if he is an above average starting LT in the league and keeps the QB upright? Who cares if a guard is 350 or 305 as long as he can block the scheme correctly? J'marcus Webb is 6'7" and 330 lbs yet can't block for shit.

NFL DE's were all 295 - 320 for a while, now we are back to the quicker 250-275 lb guys being popular.

The falcon's had the #1 offense and should have won a superbowl with the lightest line in the league 2 seasons ago. It's speed, technique and scheme fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am
Posts: 4588
southdakbearfan wrote:
It isn't just about the measurable as far as height and weight, it's can they play and do what needs to be done.


True, and I like Daniels, just not next to Leno and at guard. Lance Louis was similar size but powerful. I wouldn't have the same contention with him. Though Daniels career will be better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14389
Location: World Championsville
You don't need size/power when you are running a zone based scheme... look at Atlanta, look at the glory years of the Denver Broncos. Of course you want offensive linemen with core strength and the ability to anchor, but I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Charles Leno put on his ass by a defensive lineman.

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am
Posts: 4588
G08 wrote:
You don't need size/power when you are running a zone based scheme... look at Atlanta, look at the glory years of the Denver Broncos. Of course you want offensive linemen with core strength and the ability to anchor, but I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Charles Leno put on his ass by a defensive lineman.


That's not very accurate. Yes you can sacrifice some power for athleticism in zone. However if you look at the teams mentioned in this thread as examples they have some powerful dudes. You are right all linemen need some ability to anchor. Having 2 players who are not as good at it playing next to eachother seems like a liability.

Leno gets walked back. He is very good at mirroring, and has good balance. Plus having powerful dudes next to him has kept the gap clean. I have never complained about him because he has had Sitton or Long next to him.

A line with Whitehair at LG and Daniels at OC just makes more sense to me. I'll eat crow if wrong, but Daniels next to Leno will down grade both spots.

Again I like Leno and Daniels. I feel like I am ragging on them when I am not. Daniels would get stronger. But right now defenses would be wise to play a 3T.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 19140
I've said it since Leno was inserted in the lineup, his feet and ability to route his guy around the back of the pocket long enough for his QB to move around in it is what keeps him in the starting lineup. He's helped tremendously by mobile QB's. It's no coincidence that he struggled when Glennon was back there.

Daniels just looks like a natural center. He's so fluid and quick. Whitehair looks like a tackle who should be a guard trying to play center because there's been no one else to do it.

If it works with Daniels at guard, great. But it wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if Whitehair is your opening day LG.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14389
Location: World Championsville
mmmc_35 wrote:
G08 wrote:
You don't need size/power when you are running a zone based scheme... look at Atlanta, look at the glory years of the Denver Broncos. Of course you want offensive linemen with core strength and the ability to anchor, but I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Charles Leno put on his ass by a defensive lineman.


That's not very accurate.


*shrug* I can't speak to their power numbers but here is their height/weight from left to right, according to ESPN:

6'5" 309
6'2" 303
6'4" 311
6'4" 300
6'7" 300

Here's the Bears with the "weak left side"

6'4" 315 (self reported)
6'3" 306 (combine)
6'4" 310 (ESPN)
6'6" 316 (ESPN)
6'6" 317 (ESPN)

mmmc_35 wrote:
Leno gets walked back. He is very good at mirroring, and has good balance. Plus having powerful dudes next to him has kept the gap clean. I have never complained about him because he has had Sitton or Long next to him.


I don't think Long ever played LG... could be wrong.

Image

I'm way on the other side of the argument than you and wab. I see the athleticism inside from Daniels/Whitehair/Long that I think we will murdering teams with inside zone all game long.

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Last edited by G08 on Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 19140
RE: Long. I know he's listed at like 6'6 320(ish). But having stood next to him (I'm 6'2), he looks more like 6'4 290. He's got a GIANT noggin, so that may put him at 6'5. I have a picture with him and my buddy who is 6'3 and Long doesn't have much height on him. They were about shoulder to shoulder. In fact, Miller is taller than long, based on them standing side by side talking to each other after a game in the locker room.

I'm on the fence about Long in this offense. I hope he still has that athleticism that made him a pro bowler. He HAS to stay healthy, or this may be his last year as a Bear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am 
Online
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 3305
wab wrote:
RE: Long. I know he's listed at like 6'6 320(ish). But having stood next to him (I'm 6'2), he looks more like 6'4 290. He's got a GIANT noggin, so that may put him at 6'5. I have a picture with him and my buddy who is 6'3 and Long doesn't have much height on him. They were about shoulder to shoulder. In fact, Miller is taller than long, based on them standing side by side talking to each other after a game in the locker room.

I'm on the fence about Long in this offense. I hope he still has that athleticism that made him a pro bowler. He HAS to stay healthy, or this may be his last year as a Bear.



Kyle Long was measured at the combine at 6'6". I'd trust that measurement. Unless he shrunk.

_________________
*^*Team Vita Vea*^*

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14389
Location: World Championsville
Image

Image

GO HAWKS!

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 7317
Location: Berwyn, IL
Whitehair/Daniels/Long(if healthy) is a WHOLE lot of nasty in the middle. All athletic OL that can road grade in the run game. I believe that Daniels should stay at C, and Whitehair can move back to his natural position at G. My excitement comes from seeing what Heistand, arguably the best OL coach in the nation, can build on what Daniels and Whitehair already have. I think everyone needs to look at the OL through fresh eyes with Harry on board. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears OL gets ranked in the top 5 by mid-season.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group