View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 am 
Head Coach

What is your overall opinion of this draft? How does it affect your view of this Bears team heading into TC?

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 am 
Head Coach

My view is... I really don't judge drafts until the players have a chance to play. So no opinion that way.

Overall, it's predictable that they stuck to needs--as teams generally do. The talk of us taking Ward or Fitzpatrick or James just had me scratching my head.

I'm shocked that pass rusher wasn't addressed until R6. Clearly, their medicals on Landry weren't good enough to take him in R2. I was hoping for that when he dropped. I guess we'll just have to see how that plays out. Passing on Armstrong and Sweat in R4 surprised me. Those seemed like obvious choices before a depth ILB. And then to pull the trigger on a medical red flag guy in R6 seemed like a shot in the dark. I imagine we'll be watching for a pass rusher on cutdown day. It's been posted that there's a bunch of potential R1 pass rushers in next year's draft. That's looking more and more like the plan.

I do find it interesting that we picked 2 ILBs in the first 4 rounds. I didn't have that position as such a high need spot. But apparently the team did. I thought we were OK with Kwiatkowski starting, but this draft screams loud and clear that Fangio doesn't think so. I missed the boat on that one. I heard somewhere (Pace presser I think?) that Kwit's switching to the ILB/OLB role that Christian Jones had with the team last year. Clearly, they've revealed something there.

In any case, I did get the OL in R2 guess right. That just made too much sense and the need was abundantly clear in my eyes.

Overall, they did give us a lot of reason to hope. I'm a bit excited with our first 3 picks. If we hit on those 3, this draft is a winner and we could have a good outcome there.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:39 pm 
Player of the Month

Overall....pumped. Pace and co. nailed the first 3 picks. Pace has proven time and again that he and his staff have talent evaluating mid round picks so even though I didn't hear of a couple of them, I'm hoping history continues to repeat itself.
As for the upcoming season, I'm hesitant to become confident. I've been let down for far too long and although I am quietly confident this team will be much improved, you just never know. Time will tell.

P.S. Fitts better stay healthy and offer effective pass rush or Pace better get lucky and pick up a draft/cap casualty here shortly or I may start to worry more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:53 pm 
Mod

I think it’s a pretty good draft. Kawasaki is probably going to play outside in base packages... it’s clearly going to be a Steelers style zone blitz defense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 pm 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
I think it’s a pretty good draft. Kawasaki is probably going to play outside in base packages... it’s clearly going to be a Steelers style zone blitz defense.

This. Kwiatkowski was a pretty good blitzer at WVU, and Smith was a fantastic blitzer at Georgia. We've got some pretty good athletes along the DL, good enough to occasionally drop back into a zone - so I expect to see pressure coming after the QB from all different areas of the field.

I think Pace/Nagy/Fangio looked out at the EDGE rushers available in FA and the draft and were incredibly underwhelmed. They'll generate their QB pressure using a variety of different players/pressures.

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:26 pm 
Assistant Coach

I was very pleased by nearly all parts of this draft. It has been a good 14-15 years since I have liked a Bears' draft this strongly.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:42 pm 
MVP

A. This is the most excited I've been post draft in a long time. We have a ten win team. Nobody is going to want to play us.

I want to say A+, but let's see how the Miller trade works out after those picks are taken next year and we see how he turns out.

Smith was the original guy I was hoping we'd get until I got butterflies and went to either Davenport and Vea. Daniels was a necessary pick that lacked the appeal, at least for me, of Landry, but we need the OL help. Miller and Wims have me excited.

I do wish we got a guard out of this. Otherwise I don't see a reason to not like this draft a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:36 pm 
Crafty Veteran

To properly evaluate this draft, you have to do so in a broader context. This draft is not merely about the past few days ...

* You have to start with Pace drafting Trubisky ...
* Then you move to seeing Trubisky in action and seeing what we needed to surround him with ...
* That determined the kind of offense that he would thrive in ...
* That led to hiring the right coach (Nagy) that could install and teach that kind of offense ...
* Which led to finding the right kind of players that could execute that offense ...
* Which led to the decisions we made in free agency ...

... which led to the draft we just had. Taken by itself, this was a a very good draft.

But in the whole context of what Pace is trying to do, it was borderline genius!

I am more pumped to be a Bears fan that I have been in over 30 years. Yea, yeah, Lovie's Bears had a nice run but I always felt that team was was killer defense, a meh offense, and Devin Hester.

This is a team that is being built for the present and future, not as a "throwback." We are going to have killer defense AND a cutting edge offense. When have we ever been able to say that in any of our lifetimes? :o

We're not totally there yet -- we still need a deadly pass rush and we won't have that until after next years draft. Its also going to take some time for Biscuit and the rest of the squad to really learn and internalize Nagy's offense.

tl;dr We are well on our way back to being relevant in the NFL -- and that's great news!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:57 pm 
MVP

The only scenario better for me would have been to trade down with Buffalo for a 2nd round pick, draft Davenport/Daniels/Miller, and still keep the 105 pick and the 2019 2nd rounder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 am 
MVP

IotaNet wrote:
To properly evaluate this draft, you have to do so in a broader context. This draft is not merely about the past few days ...

* You have to start with Pace drafting Trubisky ...
* Then you move to seeing Trubisky in action and seeing what we needed to surround him with ...
* That determined the kind of offense that he would thrive in ...
* That led to hiring the right coach (Nagy) that could install and teach that kind of offense ...
* Which led to finding the right kind of players that could execute that offense ...
* Which led to the decisions we made in free agency ...

... which led to the draft we just had. Taken by itself, this was a a very good draft.

But in the whole context of what Pace is trying to do, it was borderline genius!

I am more pumped to be a Bears fan that I have been in over 30 years. Yea, yeah, Lovie's Bears had a nice run but I always felt that team was was killer defense, a meh offense, and Devin Hester.

This is a team that is being built for the present and future, not as a "throwback." We are going to have killer defense AND a cutting edge offense. When have we ever been able to say that in any of our lifetimes? :o

We're not totally there yet -- we still need a deadly pass rush and we won't have that until after next years draft. Its also going to take some time for Biscuit and the rest of the squad to really learn and internalize Nagy's offense.

tl;dr We are well on our way back to being relevant in the NFL -- and that's great news!

Well said.