View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Search for:
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:35 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am
Posts: 2296
G08 wrote:
I'd say overall I'm happy. I wanted an edge rusher badly but the board didn't seem to break for us that way early. It's being reported that Buffalo called us about #8 but we told them we had a guy targeted there and weren't for sale.


God damnit Pace!

_________________
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 18937
malk wrote:
G08 wrote:
I'd say overall I'm happy. I wanted an edge rusher badly but the board didn't seem to break for us that way early. It's being reported that Buffalo called us about #8 but we told them we had a guy targeted there and weren't for sale.


God damnit Pace!

I admire his conviction. It also reinforces my ongoing point that the fans care more about the amount of picks the team has than the actual team does. Part of me appreciates that the Bears care more about getting their guy than stockpiling picks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14253
Location: World Championsville
I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Crafty Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am
Posts: 763
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
G08 wrote:
I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.
Couldn't agree more. If Biscuit and Smith turn into "face-of-the-franchise studs," nobody will remember (or even care) what Pace gave up to get them -- he will just be remembered as the GM who got things in order around here.

"L'audace l'audace toujours l'audace"


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:56 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Chicago, IL
IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote:
I dig it honestly. You bust your ass all year to identify and rank these guys, if you feel that strongly about a player, go fucking get him. It's your ass on the line, go down with the ship but at least know you did it doing what you felt was 100% in the best interest of the Beloved.
Couldn't agree more. If Biscuit and Smith turn into "face-of-the-franchise studs," nobody will remember (or even care) what Pace gave up to get them -- he will just be remembered as the GM who got things in order around here.

Well, malk will. :taunt:

I can see his point, to be fair, but if you're worried about losing out on your guy you absolutely don't make that trade.

_________________
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14253
Location: World Championsville
Solid B+ from me:

Roquan Smith, God-willing, should be the next great Chicago Bears MLB and be here for the next 10+ years.

James Daniels is a young, technically sound iOL who can arguably play 3 positions on our line. As he gets stronger I think he'll be a top 10-15 player at his position.

Anthony Miller is having his name thrown around with the likes of Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, and Odell Beckham Jr. That's insane to me, but if he could be even 1/2 of what those dudes did in this league I think the pick will be a home-run. Yes, it sucks that we needed to burn a 2019 pick to get him, but don't for one second think we didn't get the better end of the value here. Ostensibly, we gave the Patriots a 4th round pick for the right to use our 2nd round pick one year early. I'm good with that, especially considering what many think Miller's ceiling can be in this league.

The rest of the draft was looking for athletic traits and banking on upside. I'm of the opinion Iyiegbuniwe will be a 4-phase special teamer this season while he learns the nuances of the defense. Don't be surprised if he takes Trevathan's job in 2019 or 2020. I don't think Bilal Nichols is anything special unless you are looking at his athletic profile -- this dude can move for a man north of 305 lbs. I think he'll be in the rotation at 5T and might even steal some snaps at 3T when we are in nickel. Kylie Fitts might be my favorite pick on day 3; I mentioned earlier in this thread that he's a bigger/stronger Harold Landry that unfortunately has been engulfed by the injury bug. Good new for him is that I see him on the lower end of the rotation and a wonderful hedge to Aaron Lynch. Watch his snaps and practice reps at the Senior Bowl, he can beat you with speed and can run the arc as well as any prospect in this draft. The difference is that he has power, knows how to use his length, and has a chip on his shoulder. The round 7 WR pick, Javon Wims, doesn't do too much for me. He looks like "just-a-guy" running routes but I do like his ability to high-point 50/50 balls and his concentration and hands on the sidelines. I think he's WR6 or most likely practice squad.

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Chicago, IL
I'm with you most of the way, G08 (though I'm considerably higher on Nichols than you are). I liked Day 3 pretty well up until Round 7 — I have less confidence in Wims producing anything than I have in Kevin White — but it's all lottery tickets by then anyway.

_________________
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group