WAB's Bears Mock Draft

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I'm still fooling around with my 3 round NFL mock draft, but I thought I'd throw together a Bears mock. (I included the Eagles 7th round pick, as it's been reported that the Bears do indeed get it as a result of the Hall trade.)

Anywho. I'll have the NFL mock up before the combine, but I'm not as invested in it since the Bears don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Enjoy...

R3
Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State
5’11 - 185

The Bears are pretty set at corner for the immediate future. Fuller and Amukamara (for at least one more year) hold down the position quite nicely, and the team has high hopes for Toliver as an outside player. Inside, the Bears face the potential departure of Callahan. McManis played well but will be 33 and has never been more than a special teams player to this point. The rest of the guys on the roster are super raw projects. Enter Sheffield who has had an interesting career path…started at Alabama, then left and went to Blinn College. He was the nation’s top rated Jr College DB in 2016 and highly recruited by Ohio State. Sheffield never really put it all together and was limited to playing mostly in a rotation for the Buckeyes. He has great short area quickness and excels in locating the football. He’s a willing tackler, but he doesn’t have a lot of functional strength. He’s an ideal player in the slot, but could be molded into an outside player after Prince departs and if Toliver doesn’t progress.

R4
Tony Pollard, RB/KR/WR, Memphis
5’11 - 205

Generally not the Memphis RB that’s linked to the Bears. Pollard is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. After switching to RB from WR, he became one of college football’s most dynamic players, mostly in the return game. Like Cohen, he touches the ball in a variety of ways and can score from anywhere on the field. Unlike Cohen, he has the frame to hold up as a three down back. He’s still learning the nuances of the RB position though and is a bit of a gimmick player at this point. He’s a perfect fit for this offense though, and would be in the unique position to be able to refine is HB skills as the 3rd back before potentially taking on a bigger/starting role in 2020.

R5
Will Harris, SS, Boston College
6’2 - 210

The Bears could find themselves pretty shorthanded at safety soon. Amos is a likely departure, Houston-Carson is a pending FA, and Deon Bush only has a year left on his rookie contract. Harris isn’t a supremely talented player, but he’s got incredible football intelligence. He knows what every player on the field is doing and where they are going to be. He’s always going to be in position. He closes gaps quickly, takes good angles, and plays with intimidation. He’s a leader in and off the field and would be a decent hedge against Amos leaving and Bush not working out.

R7
Dru Samia, OG/T, Oklahoma
6’4 - 297

The Bears don’t have the best depth on the interior, and it’s usually tested with Long missing good chunks of each season. Samia is an underrated talent that has is incredibly fluid and has elite movement skills – he is probably the best pulling guard in college football. It wouldn’t surprise me if this guy is the star of the combine in movement drills. He does have a weird stance, average strength, and so-so technique. Luckily the Bears have one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game. He’s got the potential to be a quality right guard, and can also slide out to RT in a pinch.

R7 – from Eagles
Maxx Crosby, Edge, Eastern Michigan
6’4 - 251

I’m a big fan of this kid as a potential sleeper. Finished his career at with 40 tackles for a loss and 20 sacks. He’s tough, fiery, and competitive. Doesn’t have elite athletic traits, but he’s one of those hard working guys that just kind of gets things done. Crosby is a crafty finesse player who understands how to make the most of his skills courtesy of his hands. Appears to be a bit of an overachiever with a limited (on paper) skill set, but wins with technique. He’s a guy that could push Fitts and work his way into a rotation.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Sheffield and Harris are on my short list
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I like it. Addresses needs with pretty talented players given the rounds they are being selected in. I am intrigued with the Pollard pick - he showed up at the Senior Bowl and stood out. He's versatile and could be the type of player Pace / Nagy target late in the draft.

I do prefer Pollard's teammate at Memphis, Darrell Henderson, though. But Pollard is definitely worth looking into if we miss out on some of the other RB's in R3 (Sanders, Henderson, Singletary, etc.)
Never Die Easy
cblaz11
MVP

I love everything about this draft except Pollard. He’s a gadget player without an elite skill set IMO. If your drafting him to be an everydowm RB were in trouble, I don’t think he can do it.

Love Harris, the kid covers some ground and sticks his nose in there willingly.
EricTighe
MVP

Not my favorite not one of my guys on my short list.

But great analogy.

But then again my short list guys are climbing up the boards a flipping again.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

DaSuperfan wrote:I like it. Addresses needs with pretty talented players given the rounds they are being selected in. I am intrigued with the Pollard pick - he showed up at the Senior Bowl and stood out. He's versatile and could be the type of player Pace / Nagy target late in the draft.

I do prefer Pollard's teammate at Memphis, Darrell Henderson, though. But Pollard is definitely worth looking into if we miss out on some of the other RB's in R3 (Sanders, Henderson, Singletary, etc.)
+1
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Given Harris' description, it sounds like he would be a great fit with EJax.
DoubleDoink
Rookie

I like the CB pick because I think Prince's health issues are concerning. If we can pair a stud CB next to Fuller, phew. game over.