Draft Prospect PKs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Chicago Bears: 2019 NFL Draft prospects to replace Cody Parkey

https://dawindycity.com/2019/02/23/chic ... dy-parkey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austin Seibert, Senior, Oklahoma

Over his four-year collegiate career, Seibert has connected on 25-of-27 field goals inside of 30 yards. He’s been nearly automatic from that range. The question marks start to come, however, when he gets outside of that yardage.

From 30-to-39 yards, Seibert was 28-of-34 in four seasons. Anything 40 yards and above? Seibert went 10-of-18. That’s not excellent by any means, but he very likely could end up being an undrafted free agent pickup for Chicago — at that point, he’s well-worth signing.

Matt Gay, Senior, Utah

In two seasons with Utah, Gay is a perfect 85 out of 85 on extra points. Sure, go ahead and give me the part about how extra points are easier in college. That’s fine. But, repetition is repetition — and he’s nailed it from that distance.

How about anything inside 40 yards? Easy.

Gay went a combined 37-of-38 anywhere inside that yardage in two seasons with Utah. He was darn-near perfect there.

From 40 yards on out, he looked like a collegiate kicker — one of the best, though. Gay went 11-for-17 on field goals ranging from 40 to 49 yards — not too shabby.

This is what should get you excited, if you’re a Bears fan. On field goals over 50 yards, Gay connected on 8-of-11. That includes long tries of both 55 and 56 yards, made in separate seasons.

Out of all the kickers I highlight here, Gay has connected on the longest field goal. That kind of leg and accuracy is highly coveted in Chicago right about now.

Cole Tracy, Senior, LSU

Tracy connected on all 42 of his extra point attempts in 2018. To make it even clearer how good he was up close, he didn’t miss a single kick inside of 30 yards either. Tracy was a perfect 13-of-13.

From 30 to 49 yards, Tracy went a solid 13-of-15. Then, when it came to the big ones, he went 3-for-5 on kicks over 50 yards, with a season-long of 54.

Tracy ended up setting an LSU record with 29 made field goals last year while also setting an NCAA all-division record with 97 over his career. The incredible part of Tracy’s journey is that it began at Division II school Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Bearfacts
MVP

I dunno about you guys but I've had it with overpaying vet PKs who come in and step on their dicks big time.

IMHO it's time to wipe the slate clean and save some cap with a new approach. We've started down that path signing Redford Jones and if it takes one of our two 7th round picks to assure getting a PK like Gay or Tracy I'm all for it.

Hell, I might even use our 5th to nail the best one as opposed to adding another PS project or at best a back end of the roster sub/ST guy who probably won't score a single point in 2019 vs a PK who will put up well over 100 points.

We've messed around with this long enough. Find a good rookie PK and along with whoever else we may find bring them through OTAs and camp and find one outta the bunch who can hit at least 85% of his kicks or more.
cblaz11
MVP

Great write up on these 3 kickers..Thanks for sharing!

If one of these guys goes undrafted, I’d take a look. That said, I don’t want to use a pick on a kicker. Also, I believe that the Bears have a SB contender here, I’m not ready to hand the keys to the car over to a rookie kicker. Good kickers are out there, Pace has gotta find one and pay.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote:Great write up on these 3 kickers..Thanks for sharing!

If one of these guys goes undrafted, I’d take a look. That said, I don’t want to use a pick on a kicker. Also, I believe that the Bears have a SB contender here, I’m not ready to hand the keys to the car over to a rookie kicker. Good kickers are out there, Pace has gotta find one and pay.
Agreed with not using a draft pick.

I would prefer bringing in another couple guys like Jones, that have been honing their craft and specializing more over the past year over a fresh out of college kicker.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I also am holding out a bit of hope that OAK wants to move on from Pineiro since Carlson looked good for them. Trade a 2020 7th or something minimal to get him rather than just losing him outright. Or maybe someone we don't have plans for just so they can get a depth or STer for him.

I'd still want to have an UDFA come in for competition too though.
wab
Mod

I'm just against drafting kickers for the reasons I've outlined multiple times.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

We have 2 7th's...
Not a big deal to grab a guy who will likely be a game deciding factor in several contests.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Umbali
MVP

Wasnt Robbie signed as an undrafted free agent by New England? Kickers come from all over...hard to waste a draft choice on one unless you are sure. But how are you sure? lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The vast majority are UDFA, drafting kickers is approximately a 90% failure rate for the team drafting them.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've liked Cole Tracy for a while... good story, kid is accurate and has hit big picks.

Question is his leg strength but, really, I don't anticipate too many 50+ yard field goals IF it's 4th and short.

Gun to my head I think we use our lower 7th round pick on Gay or Tracy if we love one of them/are concerned someone else may draft them.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I've liked Cole Tracy for a while... good story, kid is accurate and has hit big picks.

Question is his leg strength but, really, I don't anticipate too many 50+ yard field goals IF it's 4th and short.

Gun to my head I think we use our lower 7th round pick on Gay or Tracy if we love one of them/are concerned someone else may draft them.
First words out of Pace's mouth when he talked about kickers the other day was leg strength kicking in chicago.

The other was about UDFA and how they get more specialized training and coaching after college before ending up with a team.

I think they probably grab another UDFA through tryouts.
EricTighe
MVP

You forgot some. I would sign as many as possible as FA's then let them kick it out.

John Baron II, K, San Diego State

Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
Projected Round (2019): 5-7.
2/25/19: In 2018, Baron was 17-of-22 with five field goals over 50 yards and a long of 54. He was a perfect 5-of-5 in the 50-yard range. Baron then kicked the ball well at the East-West Shrine practices and impressed some evaluators.

8/30/18: In 2017, Baron was 12-of-15 with a long of 43 yards. He had a strong debut in 2016, hitting on 91 percent of his field goals. Baron was 1-of-2 in the 50-yard-plus range and a perfect 5-for-5 in the 40-yard range that season.

Justin Yoon, K, Notre Dame

Height: 5-9. Weight: 190.
Projected Round (2019): 6-FA.
2/25/19: In 2018, Yoon was 17-of-21 with a long of 48 yards.

8/30/18: In 2017, Yoon was 14-of-18 with a long of 46 yards. He was 13-of-17 in 2016 with a long of 40 yards. Yoon was an impressive kicker as a freshman for the Fighting Irish in 2015, making 15-of-17 kicks. He was 3-for-4 that season when considering his total attempts from over 40 and 50 yards. Yoon was 50-of-52 on extra points in 2015.

Emmit Carpenter, K, Minnesota

Height: 6-0. Weight: 199.
Projected Round (2019): 7-FA.
2/25/19: Carpenter was 17-of-23 in 2018 with a long of 53 yards.

8/30/18: In 2017, Carpenter was 14-of-20 with a long of 49 yards. He was excellent in 2016 for the Gophers, making 22-of-24 attempts (92 percent). He also showed leg strength and deep accuracy. Carpenter was a perfect 2-for-2 above 50 yards, notching a long of 53. He also was very impressive in the 40-yard range, hitting a perfect 8-of-8.

This is only guy I would draft and he isn't a kicker but a punter.

Mitch Wishnowsky
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Mitch Wishnowsky
Utah Utes – No. 33
Position Punter
Class Senior
Major Exercise and sport science
Career history
College
Santa Barbara City College (2014)
University of Utah (2016−present)
Bowl games
2016 Foster Farms Bowl
High school Perth (WA) Lumen Christi College
Personal information
Born: 2 March 1992 (age 26)
Gosnells, Western Australia
Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight 220 lb (100 kg)
Career highlights and awards
Ray Guy Award (2016)
Unanimous All-American (2016)
3x First-team All-Pac-12 (2016, 2017, 2018)
Stats at ESPN.com
Mitch Wishnowsky (born March 3, 1992) is an Australian amateur American football punter for the Utah Utes. He won the Ray Guy Award and was a unanimous All-American as a sophomore in 2016.[1][2] He was unanimously named to the College Football All-America Team as a result of his successful sophomore season.

Wishnowsky had grown up playing Australian rules football, but was forced to give up the sport at age 18 due to repeated shoulder injuries. By that time, he had dropped out of secondary school at age 16 to become a glazier. While the work paid well enough for him to purchase a house in his hometown near Perth along with his best friend, he grew to hate the job and sought another career path. Although no longer playing full-contact Australian rules, he continued to play a flag version of the sport alongside several friends, one of whom had a connection to Prokick Australia, a training center in Melbourne that converts Australian rules players into gridiron football punters. He left his job and moved across the country in 2013 to enroll in Prokick, spending a year there. By that time, Utah had brought in earlier Prokick graduate Tom Hackett, and were pleased enough with him that they reached an agreement with Prokick director Nathan Chapman to leave a scholarship open for Wishnowsky once Hackett's Utah career ended after the 2015 season. Since Wishnowsky needed time to secure NCAA eligibility, he enrolled in and punted for Santa Barbara City College in 2014, and redshirted in 2015, remaining in Santa Barbara to complete his associate's degree and conserve NCAA eligibility.[3]

During his Ray Guy Award-winning season in 2016, he was second in Division I FBS in punting average (47.7 yards) and first in punts downed inside the opponent's 10-yard line (17). His 2017 season was only slightly less successful, with a 43.9-yard punting average and 10 punts downed inside the 10.[3]