Safety Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So with Dix in the back end, ha, the bears still could use a pick on a developmental safety. I recently started watching some prospects. Who do you like?

Personally Darnell Savage is intriguing to me. Many sites have a 3-4 round grade which seems low. Kid is athletic enough typ play nickle, had good instincts and hands. Might not be the greatest tracker, but has the skills to get better. He seems like the type of talent to go earlier but his size may drop him a bit. 5'11" 198lbs. Get his some gym time add 20 lbs and I bet he will be a better tackler.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Sheldrick Redwine is almost as explosive and has a little more size on Savage. I'm seeing Savage moving up some mock draft boards. Walter, for instance, has his as their #4 S. If we're drafting depth with the hopes of developing in a year, Redwine might be a safer option day 3.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sheldrick ... 41fee677e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I like Savage, but don't think he'll be there.

Also, after giving Howard away for free, S has dropped to 3rd on my list, which would mean R5, if you picked in order.

I've got a pretty lengthy "short list", though, of:
Gardner-Johnson, Harris, Tell, Redwine, Blair, Hampton
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, I agree on Savage Jr. I think he's bound for early Day 2, likely gone by pick 50 or so. I love Amani Hooker too (though he doesn't quite fit the Bears' profile), but I don't think they have much of a shot at him either.

From Mori's list, I like Harris and Hampton best.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I still like Will Harris a lot. After him: Mike Bell, Donovan Wilson, Jalen Young, and Mark McLaurin are all interesting developmental guys.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I like Hooker as well. He’s multi-purpose player. That’s obviously big with Mr. Pace
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:I like Savage, but don't think he'll be there.

Also, after giving Howard away for free, S has dropped to 3rd on my list, which would mean R5, if you picked in order.

I've got a pretty lengthy "short list", though, of:
Gardner-Johnson, Harris, Tell, Redwine, Blair, Hampton
Safety is the hardest position to arm chair scout. You only get to see a portion of coverage, without real coverage it route context. That said...

I like Gardner Johnson like to an unhealthy degree. He has everything you want in a safety. Redwine kind of reminds me of a less structured slightly more aggressive Amos. Hooker too looks legit. This is a good safety class.
BR0D1E86
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:I like Hooker as well. He’s multi-purpose player. That’s obviously big with Mr. Pace
I’d love a Hawkeye on the team. I haven’t seen any numbers, but my impression of him is he isn’t quite the athlete Pace usually drafts. He seems to put a high premium on athleticism in his picks.

From watching him the last couple of years though, he’s pretty darned solid on the back end.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:I like Hooker as well. He’s multi-purpose player. That’s obviously big with Mr. Pace
I’d love a Hawkeye on the team. I haven’t seen any numbers, but my impression of him is he isn’t quite the athlete Pace usually drafts. He seems to put a high premium on athleticism in his picks.

From watching him the last couple of years though, he’s pretty darned solid on the back end.
Athletically, he fits the profile just fine. 4.48 40 (1.54 10y split), 37 vert, 10'3" broad, 6.81 3C, 4.10 SS. He is shorter than the Bears like (under 6 feet, but not by a whole lot) but I'd hope that would be able to be overlooked by his game.

I don't expect him to be there at #87, but he's one guy I would be happy with a trade up to get if he fell to around #75 or so. (For the record, I don't expect him to last past pick #50 or so.)
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

Something to remember when it comes to Pace and safeties... every safety he's drafted or brought in through FA/UDFA was once a corner. Every single one.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote:Something to remember when it comes to Pace and safeties... every safety he's drafted or brought in through FA/UDFA was once a corner. Every single one.
True enough. Hooker doesn't fit that.

It'll be interesting to see if that was more of a Fangio thing or if it's a Pace thing.
KFFL refugee.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote:
wab wrote:Something to remember when it comes to Pace and safeties... every safety he's drafted or brought in through FA/UDFA was once a corner. Every single one.
True enough. Hooker doesn't fit that.

It'll be interesting to see if that was more of a Fangio thing or if it's a Pace thing.
Redwine for the win...in the later rounds
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!