2019 NFL Draft open discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have assumed they would take a wr. RB and S seem like sure things. Oline, WR, Cb are probably secondary priorities.

Looking at the depth chart 4 WR seem like sure things to make the roster. Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller, Cordarrelle Patterson.

Javon Wims I think is also a good bet but you never know. Sure he looked good but it's still relatively a unknown.

Then you have the fodder. Tanner Gentry, Cyril Grayson, Marvin Hall, Jordan Williams-Lambert.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Also, let's get a recount of who's everyone top 5 RB prospects that you want the Bears to draft. Mine are:

1. Darrell Henderson
2. Miles Sanders
3. Bruce Anderson (R4 or later)
4. Rodney Anderson (R5 or later)
5. Bryce Love (R5 or later)

I will say I'm not a David Montgomery guy, I know a lot of people like him but I just don't see it - maybe I'm blind.
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:Does anyone think the Bears could draft a WR at some point with their 5 picks? I know they signed Patterson - so chances are slim - but was curious what everyone else thought.
It's possible. It's not likely, while still making payments on the Khalil Mack trade. Every draft factors in need, after all.

JMSO, it would need to be a situation where someone fell on whom they had a considerably higher grade. Someone who falls to, say, their Round 4 pick that they have an early Day 2 grade on, for instance — where the value outweighs other needs.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Patterson, Wims, and Hall seems like a pretty decent stable of WRs. I could see them bringing in a UDFA WR to stash on the PS but I don't think they will spend significant draft resources on one.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Found this thread on Twitter. Very interesting stuff.
KFFL refugee.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote:Found this thread on Twitter. Very interesting stuff.
Thanks for sharing, that was very interesting. Just shows how well Pace has been drafting the past 3 years to get that type of return on his draft picks. Hoping he can continue that trend this year with limited picks.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Also, let's get a recount of who's everyone top 5 RB prospects that you want the Bears to draft. Mine are:

1. Darrell Henderson
2. Miles Sanders
3. Bruce Anderson (R4 or later)
4. Rodney Anderson (R5 or later)
5. Bryce Love (R5 or later)

I will say I'm not a David Montgomery guy, I know a lot of people like him but I just don't see it - maybe I'm blind.
I'm interpreting this as players who I think will be available when we pick in round 3 (meaning Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, and David Montgomery won't be included. I'm crossing my fingers Sanders will be there)

1. Miles Sanders
2. Darrell Henderson
3. Trayveon Williams
4. Bryce Love
5. Devin Singletary
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Correct, it's tough to know who will be available in R3 but that's the best we can do at this point.

I do disagree with you on Montgomery, I think he'll be around when the Bears pick.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Correct, it's tough to know who will be available in R3 but that's the best we can do at this point.

I do disagree with you on Montgomery, I think he'll be around when the Bears pick.
I'd be thrilled man... that dude is a stud! Why don't you like him?

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:Correct, it's tough to know who will be available in R3 but that's the best we can do at this point.

I'd be thrilled man... that dude is a stud! Why don't you like him?
He's got the least amount of explosive plays of any of the "top" RB's. He's got quick feet and decent in short area quickness. Can make the first guy miss, but always gets tackled from behind from the second tackler due to the lack of juice in his game. He seems like a slow player on tape and the Combine results confirmed that as well. It'd be one thing if a guy didn't test well at the Combine but the tape proved otherwise. But he's slow on tape and slow at the Combine - I just don't like how that translates to the next level.

If the Bears moved on from Howard because he didn't fit their offense and wasn't explosive, I just view Montgomery in the same light - a dude that doesn't generate a whole lot of explosive plays. So why would Nagy want to replace Howard with Montgomery then, if that's true?

Not saying that he and Howard are the same player, but they are similar in the sense that they don't create a lot of big plays and aren't explosive players. I think Nagy is looking for someone that can get big chunks of yards in a hurry, in the run and pass game - and I just don't see it with Montgomery.

Let me ask you this, why do you like him and how does he fit in Nagy's scheme?
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

There's a lot I like about him... he's a thick kid, has a track record of being able to be the focal point of an offense, he has solid hands and can run routes from the slot, he's got good vision and instincts to find the hole and make a defender miss, etc.

His long speed is a concern but he's a Kareem Hunt type in my eyes... I'd see if we could drop him to 210 lbs (Hunt dropped to 208 before he tore the NFL apart his rookie year) and unlock some speed.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:There's a lot I like about him... he's a thick kid, has a track record of being able to be the focal point of an offense, he has solid hands and can run routes from the slot, he's got good vision and instincts to find the hole and make a defender miss, etc.

His long speed is a concern but he's a Kareem Hunt type in my eyes... I'd see if we could drop him to 210 lbs (Hunt dropped to 208 before he tore the NFL apart his rookie year) and unlock some speed.
Got it - I might have to watch Montgomery a little more. I didn't see him being used in the passing game all that much.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
G08 wrote:There's a lot I like about him... he's a thick kid, has a track record of being able to be the focal point of an offense, he has solid hands and can run routes from the slot, he's got good vision and instincts to find the hole and make a defender miss, etc.

Got it - I might have to watch Montgomery a little more. I didn't see him being used in the passing game all that much.
His head coach called him the best slot WR they had on the team.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'll be honest. I've never been as disinterested in the NFL Draft as I am this year.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm still very interested - the middle rounds may not be as sexy as R1 and R2 but there's a lot of good talent to be had in Round 3-5.
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Day 2 is fun, but Day 3 is my favorite day.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Day 2 is fun, but Day 3 is my favorite day.
Yes, but I will be in the middle of my golf trip.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Same - however, I do miss the days of when the Draft was completed on the weekend. R1 - R3 on Saturday and R4 - R7 on Sunday.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

The 2nd round has always been my favorite... at least when we had picks in that round.

BR0D1E86
MVP

I know literally nothing about either of them, but for all of you who are more knowledgeable about draft prospects than me (all of you)....

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 07298?s=20

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 96320?s=20
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I know a little about Trewyn -- pretty good athlete, transferred to DIII Whitewater after starting out at MN-Mankato, will undoubtedly need practice squad time -- but nothing about Neal.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:I know literally nothing about either of them, but for all of you who are more knowledgeable about draft prospects than me (all of you)....

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 07298?s=20

https://twitter.com/AaronLemingNFL/stat ... 96320?s=20
I know a little bit about Neal. He's pretty undersized for an edge rusher. I think he's like 6'1 235. But he's pretty quick. I don't know if they are looking at him as an inside rusher or not.

I don't know anything about the center.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Oops.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1121035784407089152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KFFL refugee.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

First time in forever I didn't do a mock draft
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

What are our biggest needs?

I know we may not need a WR anymore, but I have some serious mancrush for Parris Campbell. He probably won’t be available when our first turn comes up, but I salivate at this type of receiver coming in and adding an underneath threat to Biscuit’s arsenal.
G08
Hall of Famer

Biggest needs? In no particular order...

RB - Depth
EDGE - Depth
CB - Depth
S - Depth
TE - Depth
OL - Depth
QB - Developmental

G08
Hall of Famer

FWIW, John "Moon" Mullin thinks that if the player evaluations are equal, the Bears will take a corner or offensive line ahead of RB.

Had some good insight... apparently Pace wanted Denzel Ward last season but didn't have a shot at him since he went #4. He also tried hard and failed to sign Stephon Gilmore and A.J. Bouye in the past and instead paid good money to Prince Amukamara and Kyle Fuller. Amukamara has an injury history *knocks on wood* and after this season can be cut for $1M. Wouldn't shock me to see us go corner in the 3rd round if Pace finds a player he values.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:FWIW, John "Moon" Mullin thinks that if the player evaluations are equal, the Bears will take a corner or offensive line ahead of RB.

Had some good insight... apparently Pace wanted Denzel Ward last season but didn't have a shot at him since he went #4. He also tried hard and failed to sign Stephon Gilmore and A.J. Bouye in the past and instead paid good money to Prince Amukamara and Kyle Fuller. Amukamara has an injury history *knocks on wood* and after this season can be cut for $1M. Wouldn't shock me to see us go corner in the 3rd round if Pace finds a player he values.
I can totally see that, there's not much depth behind Amukamara or Fuller. Can't rely on Kevin Tolliver all that much. I'd be totally fine with CB in R3 - they need some outside CB depth. Someone that can develop into a starter in a year or two.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to get a bit of a crush on David Long.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

If we do trade up in R2 for a CB, I would love Byron Murphy or Rock Ya-Sin.
Never Die Easy