Pace 2019: Team status and needs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

As last season indicated, the Bears are a good football team that is poised to get better. The current roster includes one starter over age 30 (Kyle Long) and 14/22 starters who were drafted by the Bears. Two of those, Long and Kyle Fuller, were inherited by Pace, and one is Deon Bush projecting as a replacement for the now-departed Adrian Amos.
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a remarkable change from where this team was in January 2015 when Ryan Pace took over. At that time, the Bears were old (seven starters over age 30) and bad, with 8/22 starters drafted by the Bears.
https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/168/CHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pace has not been perfect, but he's been good.

There are holes on every NFL team's roster. This Bears team is no different. Like most good teams, most of their holes are depth-related.

1) The starting CBs are Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara, both of whom are quality. Buster Skrine is a capable nickel, and can spot start on the edge. But there's very little depth here; the Bears need some quality players as they're currently one injury away from a bad situation. They appear to have some trust in Kevin Toliver II, and there's always a possibility that fellow undrafted free agent Michael Joseph will develop into a player worth keeping. All that said, I would be stunned if they don't spend a draft pick here, especially because this is one of the stronger parts of this draft class.

2) Losing Amos isn't surprising but still creates a hole, one I am skeptical of Bush's ability to fill. (The Bears clearly seem to like much more than I do.) DeAndre Houston-Carson inspires less confidence, if that's possible, because he lacks the physical tools to contribute consistently. I firmly expect a veteran signing here, and the this year's safety draft class has some depth too. In the past, Pace has valued safeties with a background at corner (Amos, Houston-Carson, Deiondre' Hall, and Eddie Jackson all had collegiate experience at CB).

3) It's obvious replacing Jordan Howard at RB with a more versatile option is on the agenda. They've already replaced Benny Cunningham with Cordarelle Patterson (which is either brilliant or foolhardy, and I swing back and forth between the two) and took a free agent flyer on Mike Davis, a kid with SEC production in his background who might or might not be something. Pace has drafted a running back in every draft except 2018, so there's plenty of reason to think if someone he likes falls he'll do so again. Here and here is some insight into that, courtesy of Jonathan Wood from Da Bears blog.

4) The future of Kyle Long remains shrouded in crossed fingers and hope, while the newly-extended Bobbie Massie turns 30 in August. Now I love Long as a player and hope that his injury problems are in the past. Three consecutive seasons ending up on IR, however, suggests that they won't be. The Bears need to be prepared for that and find future replacements for both. They do have a couple of players they might be grooming for this in undersized Dejon Allen at guard and converted NT Rashaad Coward at tackle. If either pans out into something beyond a body on the roster, they're in really good shape, and obviously Pace has more insight into that than I. If not, quality depth here is vital.

Beyond those spots, defensive line (have to think Jonathan Bullard is on his last chance, and they like Roy Robertson-Harris as a depth piece) and edge rusher (replacing Sam Acho, and maybe Kylie Fitts, er, fits here) fall on the nice to have list.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Just wanted to note that I wouldn't count out the possibility of Callahan returning given that he hasn't signed with anyone yet. He may be overestimating his market value. If he comes back, Skrine gives us some nice depth at the position.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

I 100% believe that the Bears have moved on from Callahan.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:I 100% believe that the Bears have moved on from Callahan.
Agreed. They already signed his replacement. Not enough cap room for two slot guys.