Bears have met with 15 RBs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
alexwilkins
Assistant Coach
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:00 am

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 am

Can someone breakdown Miles Sanders for me? I don’t get the hype at all...
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 am

With Sanders it's all about projecting his traits and flashes. He's been productive but hasn't done what he'll be asked to do with the Bears consistently. The risk associated with him is that he won't be able to do what you need. He has the traits, though, and flashes them frequently.

His shortcomings are less physical athleticism than others.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 am

alexwilkins wrote:Can someone breakdown Miles Sanders for me? I don’t get the hype at all...
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... anders.php

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019RB.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCXEx-ns5c&t=77s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmuYS11-4Ls

If the RB position was valued more in the NFL he would be drafted higher than current projections (rounds 2 to 3 per Walter Football). Not much wear and tear on him at all. Only one full season as the starter due to playing behind Barkley. From what I can find online (I have not watched any Penn State college football this past season.), Penn State runs a zone blocking scheme which matches what the Bears tried doing last year. Penn State also runs RPOs. The transition to Nagy's offense should be pretty smooth. I don't see why he couldn't be a three down back for us.

With us having 10 picks next year it wouldn't bother me at all if we used some of that and traded up for him this year. I think what could happen is that we trade up for him, a bunch of people complain that we overpaid, but in reality we don't need 10 picks next year and its worth making a trade up to get our guy.
Image
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:50 am

The Marshall Plan wrote:
alexwilkins wrote:Can someone breakdown Miles Sanders for me? I don’t get the hype at all...
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... anders.php

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019RB.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCXEx-ns5c&t=77s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmuYS11-4Ls

If the RB position was valued more in the NFL he would be drafted higher than current projections (rounds 2 to 3 per Walter Football). Not much wear and tear on him at all. Only one full season as the starter due to playing behind Barkley. From what I can find online (I have not watched any Penn State college football this past season.), Penn State runs a zone blocking scheme which matches what the Bears tried doing last year. Penn State also runs RPOs. The transition to Nagy's offense should be pretty smooth. I don't see why he couldn't be a three down back for us.

With us having 10 picks next year it wouldn't bother me at all if we used some of that and traded up for him this year. I think what could happen is that we trade up for him, a bunch of people complain that we overpaid, but in reality we don't need 10 picks next year and its worth making a trade up to get our guy.
I have no problem with Pace using one of next year’s picks to get his guy this year, but I don’t want to waste them. They can always trade for a 2021 pick and stock up on future pics that way too.
User avatar
SC Bear
Journeyman
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Mattisson from Boise either 7th or FA
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4702
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Sanders has all the traits you would expect with a top tier RB. I have heard some say he isn't eplosive off a cut but I disagree. He has rarely good vision, balance, good hands,
and can make his own yards. Realistically without Barkley herw would have had an amazing career.
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 am

With Sanders I see a back that is decent in most traits but he doesn't possess one trait that "wows" you. Jack of all trades, master of none IMO. I don't think I'd trade up for him. If he's there at 87, sure pull the trigger. But I wouldn't trade future picks to get him.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

SC Bear wrote:Mattisson from Boise either 7th or FA
I like Mattison quite a bit as well.

Don't think he'll make it to Round 7 (though stranger things have certainly happened), but I'd be happy with him as a Bear.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Nice twitter thread on Singletary here:

https://twitter.com/DanDeYoung80/status ... 6788136960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 pm

G08 wrote:Nice twitter thread on Singletary here:

https://twitter.com/DanDeYoung80/status ... 6788136960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw that, it was a good read. However, I'm not that high on Singletary in Nagy's offense. I think the Bears need a back that can take it to the house on occasion. Singletary has excellent vision but he's not that explosive. If the Bears end up going with him, fine, but I just can't see backs like him, Montgomery, Snell, etc. fitting into what Nagy wants to do at the RB position. I know they've met with him a couple of times.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:54 pm

DaSuperfan wrote:
G08 wrote:Nice twitter thread on Singletary here:

https://twitter.com/DanDeYoung80/status ... 6788136960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw that, it was a good read. However, I'm not that high on Singletary in Nagy's offense. I think the Bears need a back that can take it to the house on occasion. Singletary has excellent vision but he's not that explosive. If the Bears end up going with him, fine, but I just can't see backs like him, Montgomery, Snell, etc. fitting into what Nagy wants to do at the RB position. I know they've met with him a couple of times.
I don't know if we need someone who can take it to the house (although that would be ideal), I think we need someone who can find the hole, hit it, and consistently get positive yards. Once we're able to establish the run it will open up so much more for Mitch in the passing game. Ideally this back would have great vision and be versatile enough where you don't know if the back is going to line up in the backfield or in the slot to run routes.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Singletary is a pretty good case study on the value of measurement thresholds when looking at suboptimal competition.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 am

This dude... I like him in the 4th or 5th round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCNqEJR4PE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19828
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Man... I know I'm a homer, but I'm leaning more and more towards Dexter Williams. Especially of Sanders is goes in the top 60 picks (as most expect).
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Ryquell doesn't really excite me all that much. He'd be an okay option, I suppose.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Biggest problems with Ryquell are his lack of make-'em-miss and his passing game exposure. He's not especially exciting, I agree, but he's tough, durable, and productive. Bears could do a lot worse.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

DaSuperfan wrote:Ryquell doesn't really excite me all that much. He'd be an okay option, I suppose.
He runs so fucking hard and when he sees a hole he hits it. I like that and I like his ability to take it to the house. He's a bit reckless and he lacks patience, but the way he punishes tacklers and pushes the pile makes me giddy.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

This seems so stupid to me. That we had a three headed monster at RB for atleast next year. Now all of a sudden we are looking to draft a RB becuase it is a position of need in a draft that RB is one of the weakest positions in this draft.

This makes no damn sense to me. Screw the RB unless we gamble on greatness in Love, Other then that screw drafting a RB. None of them really stand out except Love.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19828
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am

EricTighe wrote:This seems so stupid to me. That we had a three headed monster at RB for atleast next year. Now all of a sudden we are looking to draft a RB becuase it is a position of need in a draft that RB is one of the weakest positions in this draft.

This makes no damn sense to me. Screw the RB unless we gamble on greatness in Love, Other then that screw drafting a RB. None of them really stand out except Love.
You can't just not draft a position, even if it's for depth, because you are mad about the Jordan Howard thing.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:12 am

wab you're going to have to sell me on Dexter Williams man. I see the same thing that I see in Mike Weber... just a guy.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19828
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

G08 wrote:wab you're going to have to sell me on Dexter Williams man. I see the same thing that I see in Mike Weber... just a guy.
Williams plays waaaaay faster than Weber and he's more elusive. Weber's talent has (IMO) peaked. Williams is still ascending.
User avatar
thunderspirit
Crafty Veteran
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:05 pm

I agree with wab on Dexter Williams. Less so on Weber, but I do think Weber isn't going to be much more than he is right now.
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Not a fan of Weber, hope the Bears stay away from him.
Never Die Easy
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm

wab wrote:
EricTighe wrote:This seems so stupid to me. That we had a three headed monster at RB for atleast next year. Now all of a sudden we are looking to draft a RB becuase it is a position of need in a draft that RB is one of the weakest positions in this draft.

This makes no damn sense to me. Screw the RB unless we gamble on greatness in Love, Other then that screw drafting a RB. None of them really stand out except Love.
You can't just not draft a position, even if it's for depth, because you are mad about the Jordan Howard thing.
Never said I wouldn't draft a RB becuase of Howard. Said I wouldn't draft a RB becuase this years class is WEAK.

IMO drafting a RB is reaching cuase of need in this years draft. I will add I have no isssue drafting Love in the third or fourth. He is the only RB in this class that I can see making a pro bowl or two. The rest we are looking very hard to fall in love with.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 pm

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/ ... 3937593345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4702
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:08 pm

I have read this is a weak RB class. I disagree. It's not top heavy like next year's class will be. However there is a group of guys who have potential to be really good players. I could see any of the top 10 having productive careers.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19828
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Narrowing down my RB wish list...

Assuming Sanders is gone my 5 guys are, in order (but not necessarily specific to a particular round):
Trayveon Williams (Well respected leader that checks all the boxes that Pace seems to be looking for in a RB)
Justice Hill (Exciting runner with great vision and agility)
Darrell Henderson (Home run hitter that plays bigger than his size)
Dexter Williams (IMO an ascending player that needs to refine his receiving skills)
Alexander Mattison (Might be too similar to Davis)

If Sanders is there, then it's clearly a no-brainer. But I feel like the fit is so obvious that if they do want him, they'll have to trade up to get him. I also think Singletary will be gone before the 3rd, so the same logic applies.
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Also, not sure if you guys saw this but apparently Bryce Love's injury is a real concern for many NFL teams. https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 2279787520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think the Bears will be taking him - maybe if he goes undrafted and we can bring him in as an UDFA.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4702
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am

You know Singletary reminds me of Kadeem Carey. Which I thinkis a good thing. They both hit the whole fast and have high rpms but don't have long strides. Both are upright with narrow hiped similar bodies. I bet college fair side by side the difference would be minimal. Singletary itz forced top pick through traffic more but very similar.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19828
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Bears have met with 15 RBs

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:08 am

mmmc_35 wrote:You know Singletary reminds me of Kadeem Carey. Which I thinkis a good thing. They both hit the whole fast and have high rpms but don't have long strides. Both are upright with narrow hiped similar bodies. I bet college fair side by side the difference would be minimal. Singletary itz forced top pick through traffic more but very similar.
I agree. I really think Carey could have been a good one if not for the perpetual concussion issues.

Return to “The War Room”