Chad Reuter’s 7 round mock: Bears Picks

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I thought I'd sort of do a Bears mock draft roundup leading up to Thursday and provide a bit of an overall analysis on what the media types think...

This is the nfl.com mock for the Bears by Chad Reuter.

PICK 87
Justin Hollins - Edge
School: Oregon | Year: Senior (RS)
Hollins might remind some folks of Leonard Floyd and will be used in pass rush sub-packages early in his career.

*Notes
CB David Long went next to the Lions. Bears have shown interest.
Trayveon Williams went 11 picks later to the Jaguars

PICK 126
Alexander Mattison - RB
School: Boise State | Year: Junior

*Notes
A ton of players linked to the Bears went before their pick in R4. They included Josh Oliver, Dru Samia, Darrell Henderson, Jalen Jelks, Devin Singletary, David Montgomery, Bryce Love, and Mike Weber. Other guys like Corey Ballentine, Carl Granderson, Maxx Crosby, and Austin Bryant went later in the 4th.

PICK 162
Drew Forbes - OG
School: Southeast Missouri State | Year: Senior

*Notes
Oli Udoh (a favorite of a few guys in here) went 10 picks earlier to the Falcons.
The only notable players still on the board that went later in R5 were Yodny Cajuste, Devine Ozigbo, and Kendall Sheffield.

PICK 222
Austin Seibert - K
School: Oklahoma | Year: Senior

*Notes
Cole Tracy went one pick before the Bears

PICK 238
Mark Fields - CB
School: Clemson | Year: Senior

*Notes
Other than Rodney Anderson, no notable players were still on the board when the Bears made this pick.

My overall analysis:

I don’t hate it…but it didn’t really hit the mark for me. There were way better players on the board than Hollins when the Bears picked, and I feel like Reuter pigeon-holed him into pick 87 just to be different and not slot a RB there even though there were excellent RB’s available. Hollins is a player who arguably would be there at 126.

Mattison is interesting though. He’s a faster Howard with much better receiving skills, but he’s also very similar to Mike Davis.

Forbes seems like the exact type of OL that Pace looks at. Small school guy that is highly athletic. He has has a nasty demeanor and good size (6’5 305) who can play tackle or guard. Seemed like a good value as a developmental pick pick in round 5.

The 7th round picks came across as lazy, but I get it. Putting together a 7 round mock draft is exhausting. Still Seibert was more of a punter than a kicker (when he did kick, he was wildly inconsistent) at Oklahoma, but I’m assuming Reuter felt he had to give the Bears a kicker. Fields is almost universally mocked to the Bears, but IMO they’d be better served drafting a guy that can play either safety or corner.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'd be a little upset if we take Hollins over some of those other prospects. The rest of the picks are sort of meh to me. But again, if that's what really happened during the Draft, then we'll have to just really put our faith in the Bears scouts and Ryan Pace before we get upset too early.
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Hollins a lot and think he'd be decent value in Round 3. I don't know how you justify that decision if you're the Bears (unless you've already decided not to pick up Leonard Floyd's option in 2020), but having a 3rd rounder develop into a starter is pretty much 33% shot anyway.

I agree with you on Forbes. He's the sort of calculated risk Pace isn't afraid to take. I have some FCS-and-lower guys I like better than Forbes — Udoh of course, but also Trey Pipkins (D2 Sioux Falls), Brain Fineanganofo (Idaho St), and Brandon Hitner (Villanova), the last of whom the Bears had in for a private visit — but I freely admit that's based on what I've read and what little I've seen in the college all-star games.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: