R3, P73: RB David Montgomery, RB - Iowa State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

So much for the "we don't need to draft a RB" opinions. LOL
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

http://bleacherreport.com/post/chicago- ... 1bac76e867

They were fans of the pick. Comparison was Kareem Hunt.
wab
Mod

Watching some more vids on the guy and he does have pretty elite vision and agility. I do wish he had better breakaway speed, but the similarities between him and Hunt are undeniable. I wonder if he’ll play at 222 or drop a little weight to see if he can get that extra gear.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Watching some more vids on the guy and he does have pretty elite vision and agility. I do wish he had better breakaway speed, but the similarities between him and Hunt are undeniable. I wonder if he’ll play at 222 or drop a little weight to see if he can get that extra gear.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut some weight. Hunt had his breakout rookie season at 208 lbs even though he played around 216-220 lbs in college. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to 210 or so.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Watching some more vids on the guy and he does have pretty elite vision and agility. I do wish he had better breakaway speed, but the similarities between him and Hunt are undeniable. I wonder if he’ll play at 222 or drop a little weight to see if he can get that extra gear.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut some weight. Hunt had his breakout rookie season at 208 lbs even though he played around 216-220 lbs in college. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to 210 or so.
Yeah, I went and looked and Hunt head listed at 225 at Toledo. FWIW Iowa State had Montgomery listed at 216.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

How could you not like this guy? A+ character coming out of brutal upbringing.
https://youtu.be/DMX_om6uH8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really interesting guy to me. Checks off every box except home run hitter. I think that's overrated in a RB anyway. Best tackle breaker in the country each of the last 2 years. Good vision. Super stop and start horizontal movement skills, make him agile and elusive. Great balance. Can play all facets of the passing game. Tremendous individual.

Love the guy. Now he just has to show he can play at the NFL level. Here's hoping for that!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

I just heard a story about him: it was 2am on a weekend and Montgomery calls one of his coaches. The coach is freaking out and answers his phone prepared to hear the worst. Instead? Montgomery asks Coach for the password to get into the film room.

This dude... I'm in love.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Sanders was off the board (Eagles) when we took Montgomery. Oh well. The Eagles traded for Howard then they drafted MY GUY in this draft. Dammit.

You had to figure Pace was going to trade up given the number of picks we have next year and that's what we did. Queue the media based criticism of that even though there is no way we would be drafting 10 people next year.

I was so focused on Sanders that I didn't look at Montgomery a lot. Everything reads like he'd be a three down guy for us. Good stuff.

I can't take credit for this, I saw it in a YouTube video comment, but:

Our RBs

Davis, Mike
Montgomery, David
Cohen, Tarik

So then can we call our RB group Run DMC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywySgQHvLk
Stay_Cool
MVP

The Chicago Bears and trading up when picks are in short supply, name a more iconic duo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
G08
Hall of Famer

Stay_Cool wrote:The Chicago Bears and trading up when picks are in short supply, name a more iconic duo

SC and Waffles :toast:

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Stay_Cool wrote:The Chicago Bears and trading up when picks are in short supply, name a more iconic duo

SC and Waffles :toast:
lol
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

I wasn't thrilled about this trade up, until I saw his comp was Kareem Hunt; and that when Mark Helfrich was working games for ISU(i think) he came away w/thinking he was the best player on their team. When your OC and HC are going to be that high on a player the GM is going to do whatever they can to get him. He was seens as the 2nd or 3rd best RB in the draft, and the 2nd had just came off the board. Guy is going to be Howards replacement, and he'll be a better fit on the inside zone runs and being more then a dumpoff in the passing game.
wab
Mod

I’m slowly falling in love with this guy. I hope he plays a little lighter though.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I’m slowly falling in love with this guy. I hope he plays a little lighter though.
Atta boy!

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:I’m slowly falling in love with this guy. I hope he plays a little lighter though.
Atta boy!
I honestly didn’t do a ton of work on him because I thought he’d be gone by 50 or so. I assumed he was a slow-ish power back.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Atta boy!
I honestly didn’t do a ton of work on him because I thought he’d be gone by 50 or so. I assumed he was a slow-ish power back.
I didn't dive as deeply into him, but I did a few games and I was convinced we had zero shot at getting him. The kid is the goods and has only been playing RB for 3 years.

The quick feet and cuts are easy to see, but he fucking runs HARD man! Puts his head down like Walter and tries to get every last inch that he can. Sometimes when he has some space he does that little jump/skip #34 used to do... warmed my cold, black heart :lol:

God-willing he stays healthy, I think we'll have a good one on our hands for the next 5-8 years.

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:So then can we call our RB group Run DMC?
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I just heard a story about him: it was 2am on a weekend and Montgomery calls one of his coaches. The coach is freaking out and answers his phone prepared to hear the worst. Instead? Montgomery asks Coach for the password to get into the film room.

This dude... I'm in love.
This to also go with the coaches hearing music blasting from the weight room at 9 p.m. on a Friday. When they go to check it out, the found Montgomery working out all by himself. No one else in the weight room with him.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:The quick feet and cuts are easy to see, but he fucking runs HARD man! Puts his head down like Walter and tries to get every last inch that he can. Sometimes when he has some space he does that little jump/skip #34 used to do... warmed my cold, black heart :lol:

God-willing he stays healthy, I think we'll have a good one on our hands for the next 5-8 years.
I know it's sacrilegious to make Walter Payton comparisons, but having watched Montgomery the lasts 3 years, I continuously found myself saying I've never seen someone's running style mirror Payton's as much as Montgomery does.

To your point about the jump/skip, the catch out of the background at the 4:26 mark of this video comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtF63MBYcCk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:The quick feet and cuts are easy to see, but he fucking runs HARD man! Puts his head down like Walter and tries to get every last inch that he can. Sometimes when he has some space he does that little jump/skip #34 used to do... warmed my cold, black heart :lol:

I know it's sacrilegious to make Walter Payton comparisons, but having watched Montgomery the lasts 3 years, I continuously found myself saying I've never seen someone's running style mirror Payton's as much as Montgomery does.

To your point about the jump/skip, the catch out of the background at the 4:26 mark of this video comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtF63MBYcCk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He said he watched Patyon highlights when he was growing up :thumbsup:

cblaz11
MVP

The thing that drove me crazy about Howard was how many times he lost a 1 on 1 battle in open space...That’s not going to happen with Montgomery.
Umbali
MVP

I saw that little jump skip move yesterday and immediately thought of Walter. He did look good on all the tape i watched yesterday.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm reading stories about what a fucking leader this kid was at Iowa State. They said he would walk up and down the sidelines controlling the team and telling them to stay focused in close games or if they were losing. He would demand they not let up and then go out and lead by example. Pretty awesome shit.

G08
Hall of Famer

David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

All of that is well said. He reminds me of a cross between Le'Veon Bell and Adrian Peterson. (I'm not saying that Montgomery is at that level....yet.). I've watched lots of videos on Montgomery and I keep saying to myself that he looks like Bell.

What I like best about him is that he breaks tackles. I didn't notice that with some of our previous backs like Howard and Forte.

Sanders was MY GUY in this draft, but we could have something special with Montgomery.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The next great Chicago Bears RB?

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
UOK
Site Admin

RING4CHI wrote:

I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.
How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?
wab
Mod

He does run like Payton... I didn't even notice until I started looking for it. Someone also said Edgerrin James without the long speed, and that's pretty accurate too.

I'm trying to not get my hopes too high for this kid.
Bad Flanders
MVP

He's in the right system. I get the feeling the Bears would've been happy with either Henderson or Montgomery. I think they thought both might be available when they picked and freaked a little when Henderson went to the Rams. But it might just be that Pace zeros in on his guys so much that he can't help but trade up a few spots for them... it's really a theme with their first picks at this point.

I originally was thinking maybe they wanted Henderson's explosive play making ability over Montgomery's better size, but now I'm not so sure, Montgomery's measurables fit better and for all the talk of lack of top end speed, he broke off plenty of 10+ runs in an offense that faced stacked boxes on defense a lot because he was about the only thing opposing D's had to worry about.

I like the kid, I like the comps to Hunt. I think he's in the right spot. Might be special.