View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Search for:
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm 
Offline
Crafty Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm
Posts: 902
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
He wasn't my top choice initially, but the more I've watched of him the more I feel he is a great fit for this offense. He is does everything Howard did, but better, has more moves, and better balance. I think this guy is going to be an excellent player for our offense. As to his speed, it isn't elite, but we are packed with other play-makers who can blaze it. We needed a RB like this that can get the tough yards and sometimes go for 15-25.

Basically the Bears needed a RB that didn't make the offense predictable when he was on the field. Defenses had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen when Howard was in the game. Howard's limitations in the passing game is why Mizzell got so many snaps.

Even though his speed is a bit limited, Mongomery will let the Bears run 100% of their offense 100% of the time.


Ding!

To add to your point, you're going to see a lot more 2 RB sets like Montgomery and Cohen, which is going to give defenses fits. You can trot that out and go to 5 wide. If the defense is in base or even nickel? Good luck!


I'm really anxious to see that offensive set....and here's hoping that Mitch is lights out in his 2nd year in the offense. I want him to be a world beater and be considered as one of the elite QB's in the game. Having Montgomery and Cohen as outlets in the passing game should help.

_________________
Never Die Easy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 2980
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Why David Montgomery is so good.

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 pm 
Offline
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm
Posts: 16
Mikefive wrote:

Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm
Posts: 5235
Location: Ames, IA
UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:
David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.

I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.


How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?

To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.

_________________
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14622
Location: World Championsville
RING4CHI wrote:
UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
G08 wrote:
David Montgomery Destroys My Iowa Hawkeyes

I hated cheering for him during this game, but maaaaaaaaannnnnn! You see his vision, cutting ability, route running ability, hands, power, etc.

Impressive, impressive kid.

I covered that game. I asked Montgomery afterwards what is it that makes him so tough to tackle the first or second time someone hits him. His response was something to the time of if there was an answer to that question, defenders would be able to tackle him.


How's it feel to have a Cyclone be the premiere pick of the Bears?

To be honest, I shrilled like a school girl. My wife can confirm that. Not because the Bears drafted a Cyclone, and not because I wanted the Bears to draft him. But because the Bears drafted someone who is a good fit in the offense who happened to be a Cyclone. I was on cloud nine about how it all became together.

Then some doubt did start to set in. David Montgomery is my all-time favorite Cyclone. More than Fred Hoiberg (I know, probably not a good name to bring up) and it's not even close. What if DM doesn't work out for the Bears? I would hate to love DM the Cyclone but be frustrated with DM the Bear.

It hasn't stopped me from already ordering a Montgomery jersey. Just going to enjoy the ride.


My mental image:

Image

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:45 pm
Posts: 5235
Location: Ames, IA
G08 wrote:
My mental image:

Image

Spot on, sir. Arm motions and all.

_________________
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm
Posts: 520
Buffaloaf wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

Man, the more I watch and read about this guy, the more pumped I am to watch him play. He's such a high character guy that I just want to see him succeed.


Ok WOW! I rarely watch those types of interviews etc...but that blew me away. Good kid. Very happy he is a Bear.

_________________
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:36 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 7454
Location: Berwyn, IL
G08 wrote:
I just heard a story about him: it was 2am on a weekend and Montgomery calls one of his coaches. The coach is freaking out and answers his phone prepared to hear the worst. Instead? Montgomery asks Coach for the password to get into the film room.

This dude... I'm in love.


:rofl: That's awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 2980
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.
Image

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am
Posts: 4634
Mikefive wrote:
PFF tape review of David Montgomery.

This guy is going to be good.
Image


I really like the McCoy comp.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group