2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun May 12, 2019 10:16 am

Attending one would seem fun but if you are one of the ones standing the whole time or not in good seats it would suck. Also during a year with no 1st round pick would suck as well.

Overall I agree with most that I like watching it at home.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
Grizzled
Player of the Month
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:29 am

southdakbearfan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm
wab wrote:I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Now imagine living your life surrounded by a vast majority of Viking fans!!!!!!
I lived in Texas for many years, being surrounded by Cowboy fans was the pits when they went on their SB streak in the early '90s. I used to kid my Vikings fan friend about their 4 SB losses, it never gets old.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2609
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Grizzled wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:29 am
southdakbearfan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm


Now imagine living your life surrounded by a vast majority of Viking fans!!!!!!
I lived in Texas for many years, being surrounded by Cowboy fans was the pits when they went on their SB streak in the early '90s. I used to kid my Vikings fan friend about their 4 SB losses, it never gets old.
there is always the empty superbowl trophy case joke to taunt them with. But that single superbowl is looking pretty lonely and I would like to see a couple more in my lifetime.
User avatar
2BigCats2
Rookie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:52 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:01 am

DaSuperfan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm
Next year the draft is in Las Vegas, a few of my buddies are going to make the trip to attend. Is anyone planning on going?...lol lol as a Raiders fan i would LOVE for you Bears fans to come to the home of the Silver&Black to see the 1st rd pick you guys gave us ...AGAIN!!!...lol the Bears the team that keeps on giving
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:04 am

Let the Raiders enjoy it. Neither of the guys they get will be in the Hall of Fame at the end of there career.

As far as the draft goes nothing like being at home with a few cases of beer and Brawts on the grill. While my son and I bitch at the TV for only us to hear. Good TImes.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15739
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
EricTighe
Assistant Coach
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:17 am

2 seconds is better than moving up again and wasting another pick. Hope Pace gets the message this year.

Do not move up and pick the best available players.
The Cooler King
Assistant Coach
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:03 pm

What if the best available gets picked at 36 though. Then you'll have wished you moved up!
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15739
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.
Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 pm

G08 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.
Word
User avatar
Z Bear
Player of the Month
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Hmm...listing CB tells me they are moving on from Amukamara. Even so, you still have Fuller and Tolliver on the outside, then Skrine and Shelly at slot. Toss in the practice squad guys and you already have a fairly crowded CB room. I think S is a bigger need than CB, unless they are counting on bringing Bush and Ha-Ha back. Obviously free agency will change things and Pace likes to fill holes with vets and draft BPA....but I would rank the Bears' needs as:

1) RG
2) SS
3) ILB
4) OT
5) TE
6) QB
7) CB
The Cooler King
Assistant Coach
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Z Bear wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm
Hmm...listing CB tells me they are moving on from Amukamara. Even so, you still have Fuller and Tolliver on the outside, then Skrine and Shelly at slot. Toss in the practice squad guys and you already have a fairly crowded CB room. I think S is a bigger need than CB, unless they are counting on bringing Bush and Ha-Ha back. Obviously free agency will change things and Pace likes to fill holes with vets and draft BPA....but I would rank the Bears' needs as:

1) RG
2) SS
3) ILB
4) OT
5) TE
6) QB
7) CB
Pretty fair list. Those needs are definitely different though.

RG- Need a starter, but have no obvious FA re-signings.
SS- Need a starter and depth, but they have reasonable internal FA options.
ILB- Need a starter, but have really good internal FA options
OT- Need depth/development. Have reasonable starting answers for 2020.
TE- Need a starter or 2nd key rotation piece. Have some depth though
QB- Looking for a franchise singal caller. But will need depth too. Have a somewhat reasonable starter for 2020. The depth issue is bigger for 2020, but you'd be silly to ignore a possible answer to the long term franchise signal caller question, if available.
CB- Have some depth, but very green. Have starters, but may opt to let one go and create a need.

I'd also add OLB. They don't really have depth and one of their starters is set to be overpaid in 2020 and then is a FA.

So really just left with C, DL, and WR with no real obvious or immediate needs.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
User avatar
Z Bear
Player of the Month
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:54 pm

I was listing needs as of this very moment. ILB and S should move way down the list prior to the draft. Mocks are all crap shoots at this point since re-signings and free agency have not occurred yet. I am fairly certain Pace will sign a G plus bring back Kwit, KPL, and one of the safeties. Really, ILB will not be a need at all with Kwit, Roquan, KPL, and Iggy. Even if you sign Bush or Ha-Ha, S will still be a need as Jackson is currently the only one on the team. I did forget OLB, I would put that above CB too. I liked what I saw in Tolliver, plus you have Steven Denmark and Michael Joseph. I think there is enough talent and prospects in the building even if they do cut Amukamara (which they should).
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21170
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 am

Amukamara will most certainly be cut, but it's not impossible he doesn't return on a smaller deal.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21170
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am

From the Biggs piece this morning:



The Bears have two second-round draft picks. I believe they should spend both of those picks on offensive linemen. Do you agree, or should they go best player available? — @68shaubooker


I understand why you believe they should use their early picks on multiple offensive linemen. Let me explain why this is no way to think about a draft going into it. There’s no telling what kind of linemen are going to be on the board in the middle of Round 2. What if the good ones have been scooped up and the only linemen the Bears are looking at on their board have mid-round grades? Then what do they do? Overdraft players with two picks? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Elite offensive tackles go in the first round, so you’re probably not going to be able to find a Day 1 starter at that position midway through the second round. You could find a nice interior prospect, though, and the Bears certainly could use some young talent on the line. I think it will be among a handful of positions the team considers, with the highest grade winning out. They could use a tight end, wide receiver and a cornerback. That’s probably too early for a safety.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am

This safety class is GAHHHHHHHHRBAGE
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 pm

wab wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am
This safety class is GAHHHHHHHHRBAGE
Luckily there is a pretty strong class of competent, if unspectacular, SS options in free agency that look pretty appealing.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm

UOK wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am
From the Biggs piece this morning:



The Bears have two second-round draft picks. I believe they should spend both of those picks on offensive linemen. Do you agree, or should they go best player available? — @68shaubooker


I understand why you believe they should use their early picks on multiple offensive linemen. Let me explain why this is no way to think about a draft going into it. There’s no telling what kind of linemen are going to be on the board in the middle of Round 2. What if the good ones have been scooped up and the only linemen the Bears are looking at on their board have mid-round grades? Then what do they do? Overdraft players with two picks? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Elite offensive tackles go in the first round, so you’re probably not going to be able to find a Day 1 starter at that position midway through the second round. You could find a nice interior prospect, though, and the Bears certainly could use some young talent on the line. I think it will be among a handful of positions the team considers, with the highest grade winning out. They could use a tight end, wide receiver and a cornerback. That’s probably too early for a safety.
I don’t think Biggs read the question. What a stupid asshole and another example of dismissive condescending know-it-all sports media that we have to tolerate in this town.

The guy just asked a hypothetical fuckin’ question. Yeah obviously if there’s a run on OL you don’t draft two OL. No shit Sherlock. Thank you so much.

Then he goes the route of TE (I WANT A GRONK TOOOOOO!), WR (We have ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims.), and then CB.

OK Biggs, what kind of TE, WR, and CB do you think will be on the board? Let’s use that argument against your positions.

OK, CB is a legit point because Prince could be a cap casualty. However it was the OL that was a damn disaster last year. The guy asked a perfectly legit question and if we did draft 2 OL with those picks I would be ecstatic.
Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm
UOK wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am
From the Biggs piece this morning:



The Bears have two second-round draft picks. I believe they should spend both of those picks on offensive linemen. Do you agree, or should they go best player available? — @68shaubooker


I understand why you believe they should use their early picks on multiple offensive linemen. Let me explain why this is no way to think about a draft going into it. There’s no telling what kind of linemen are going to be on the board in the middle of Round 2. What if the good ones have been scooped up and the only linemen the Bears are looking at on their board have mid-round grades? Then what do they do? Overdraft players with two picks? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Elite offensive tackles go in the first round, so you’re probably not going to be able to find a Day 1 starter at that position midway through the second round. You could find a nice interior prospect, though, and the Bears certainly could use some young talent on the line. I think it will be among a handful of positions the team considers, with the highest grade winning out. They could use a tight end, wide receiver and a cornerback. That’s probably too early for a safety.
I don’t think Biggs read the question. What a stupid asshole and another example of dismissive condescending know-it-all sports media that we have to tolerate in this town.

The guy just asked a hypothetical fuckin’ question. Yeah obviously if there’s a run on OL you don’t draft two OL. No shit Sherlock. Thank you so much.

Then he goes the route of TE (I WANT A GRONK TOOOOOO!), WR (We have ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims.), and then CB.

OK Biggs, what kind of TE, WR, and CB do you think will be on the board? Let’s use that argument against your positions.

OK, CB is a legit point because Prince could be a cap casualty. However it was the OL that was a damn disaster last year. The guy asked a perfectly legit question and if we did draft 2 OL with those picks I would be ecstatic.
Decaf breh.

I didn't take his response as condescending at all.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21170
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Saw a draft that has the Bears 2nd round picks as:

Prince Tega Wanogho, OT - Auburn

The Bears don't have a first round pick, but new O-line coach Juan Castillo will still get a high upside player who is tailor made for a zone blocking scheme. While Tega Wanogho is extremely raw, he has the athleticism, mobility and length to thrive in a zone scheme. In terms of raw tools, Wanogho has late first round talent but mechanical issues and a need to add more power make him require some development. That said, Wanogho does great in space and could make an impact immediately in this system. The ceiling stands out more than the floor, but it's the right situation for him to fall into.


Cole Kmet, TE - Notre Dame

NFL teams have shown they love two sport tight-ends and the best pass -catching TE's originally played ball...so naturally Kmet was a baseball first player until 2019. What? Kmet still has the same skillset as the basketball tight ends, with a prototype 6-5 250 frame and solid blocking skills for receiving TE. Especially one who is as new to playing football full time as Kmet is. Kmet comes from an ND system that churns out good tight end prospects and is arguably the top two way TE in a fairly down class at the top. Kmet runs his routes well, is a willing blocker and has some real upside given how new he is to year round football. He fills a huge need in Nagy's system and could become a dynamic chain mover if Trubisky can get the ball to him. Has proven he can play in the cold as well, important for Chicago.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15739
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

I want to see how he times at the combine and his Pro Day but he looks a littttllleeee stiff to me.
Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

You all know how much of a ND homer I am, and I don't get the love for Kmet. He's ok, but he's not on the level of some of the other TE's to come out of there. He did bail Ian Book out, like a lot...
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Here's my attempt using The Draft Network simulator. Super early mock as we don't know what will happen in FA but here it goes:

43.Chicago Bears
K.J. Hamler
WR, Penn State

50.Chicago Bears
Brycen Hopkins
TE, Purdue

141.Chicago Bears
Anthony Gordon
QB, Washington State

145.Chicago Bears
Trevon Hill
EDGE, Miami

176.Chicago Bears
Jalen Elliott
S, Notre Dame

180.Chicago Bears
USER PICK
Ezra Cleveland
OT, Boise State

210.Chicago Bears
USER PICK
A.J. Green
CB, Oklahoma State

I think our offense is sorely lacking in speed at the WR position. I'm expecting Gabriel to be gone, so Hamler can come in and play the slot with Miller moving outside as the #2. Hamler is so dynamic and is a big play waiting to happen, something this offense hasn't seen in quite some time.

Hopkins is my #1 TE in the draft, so to get him at 50 was a coup. I'm not a Kmet guy, I have Hopkins and Bryant rated ahead of him. Even though Kmet is a 2 sport athlete, he still looks awfully slow and stiff as a TE prospect.

Obviously, I'm expecting the Bears to add a veteran QB in the mix this year in FA but I do expect them to also double dip and draft a developmental type of prospect as well. I think Gordon if available in that R4 - R5 range the Bears will pounce on him. Has some upside.

Let me know what you guys think.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am

Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4863
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:44 pm

wab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am
Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
I think Pace surely has to bring in a guy or 2 in free agency. Personally I would try and do both.
User avatar
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 8019
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 pm

wab wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm
I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Concur. I went in 2015. So many dead spots where you were sitting around with your thumb up your ass, because the broadcast was at commercial, or the TV audience was listening to Mel Kiper blather on about something. It was pretty boring.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15739
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 pm

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 pm
wab wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm
I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Concur. I went in 2015. So many dead spots where you were sitting around with your thumb up your ass, because the broadcast was at commercial, or the TV audience was listening to Mel Kiper blather on about something. It was pretty boring.
I went with buddies both years they had it in Chicago and had a blast! We were drinking like fish though...
Image

First 41 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8
User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 pm

wab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am
Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
In this scenario, someone from UFA.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21170
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 am

The Athletic had a good summary of 10 prospects who impressed so far at the senior bowl practices. Here's their list, without spoiling the content:

Keith Ishmael, OC, San Diego State
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama
Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
Ben Bartch, OT, St. John’s
Lloyd Cushenberry, OC, LSU
Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina
Josh Uche, LB, Michigan
Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
Kylo Bearen
Practice Squad
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Re: 2020 NFL Draft

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm

G08 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.
Indeed. A tight end is just what MT needs to help his passing and and newly bolstered O-line helps the entire offense. Reaching for a QB is why Chi is in a pickle now.

Go with BPA this year and try their luck at a signal caller next draft, hopefully with someone who knows what to looke for in a QB calling the shots? And with an already built O unit it will have them running out the gate.
Image

Return to “The War Room”