2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

"My guy" at WR this draft is Jauan Jennings. Dude is going to make some team very happy. I see a young Brandon Marshall, but without the nuttiness when I watch his tape. Unfortunately, I think Nagy wants some speed at WR and this kid would just add to the slow corps we have now. I think they'll dump Gabriel this off-season too, so it's looking less and less likely that Jennings will be a late round option for Pace.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:36 pm
DaSuperfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm I know there are other priorities in terms of need but you guys can't sleep on the need for a speed WR in this offense. Turbo is most likely a cap casualty this offseason and that leaves us with ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims - none of these guys are legit homerun threats or can take a top off a defense. One thing when you look at the Bears offense is the lack of explosive plays. Sure, we can blame the OL and QB for a majority of this but honestly - there isn't a "Tyreek Hill" type of speed threat that puts fear into the defense. It's part of what makes defending the Chiefs offense so difficult. I think the Bears add someone via the draft at some point. Don't be surprised if it's as early as R2 if someone they like drops, i.e Hamler or Reagor.

Again, I fully understand that TE, OL, CB, Edge are all needs - but I think some are underestimating the value of adding more speed to the offense. Because honestly, there's not a whole lot of firepower for Nagy to work with. I love ARob and Miller just like most of you on here. ARob is a #1 acrobatic, possession type of WR. Miller is more quick than he is fast, great route runner. Ridley is also a route technician, not a burner and very inexperienced. Wims is a big body possession WR, more of a depth type of guy. If you eliminate Turbo out of the equation, then who will be getting downfield to challenge opposing defenses? I'd argue they need to add more than one burner to the offense, maybe not this offseason, just in general.

It's really tough plodding your way down field over and over again - you have to be able to hit some big plays (i.e. plays of 20 yards or more) consistently if you want to have an offense that can score points on a regular basis.

Also, out of the backfield, as we all know - Montgomery is not a burner. Cohen has the speed to pose a threat to defenses but he took a step back this year, wasn't really all that dynamic - not sure what happened to him, hopefully he regains his 2017 and 2018 self.

I know there are good players that aren't necessarily fast - and we have those type of players on the team (ARob, Miller, Montgomery, etc). What we don't have is a guy that the opposing defenses worry about beating them over the top.

Just want to reiterate I do understand that none of that is possible without good protection and a QB that doesn't consistently overthrow deep balls. Maybe adding a really fast guy will help Mitch cut down on the overthrows lol, who knows.
Unfortunately Gabriel's speed hasn't really translated into results consistently. With the Bears other needs and resources, I think it unfortunately falls into "nice to have" rather than need. I agree though I wouldn't rule the spot out for the right value in the draft.
Just because Gabriel's speed hasn't always yielded consistent results doesn't mean it isn't a top priority for Nagy's offense. Maybe Garbriel wasn't as good as we'd all hoped for. Bringing in a younger guy with world class speed will put some much needed fear into defenses - because as it stands now, there is no real threat down the field, so defenses can just tee off on the QB without worrying about getting beat over the top. I don't think this is a "nice to have" priority, I think it'll be a legit priority for the offense to get faster. They need to be getting more explosive plays.
Never Die Easy
Drone7
Player of the Month

Amen.
wab
Mod

DaSuperfan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:05 pm
Unfortunately Gabriel's speed hasn't really translated into results consistently. With the Bears other needs and resources, I think it unfortunately falls into "nice to have" rather than need. I agree though I wouldn't rule the spot out for the right value in the draft.
Just because Gabriel's speed hasn't always yielded consistent results doesn't mean it isn't a top priority for Nagy's offense. Maybe Garbriel wasn't as good as we'd all hoped for. Bringing in a younger guy with world class speed will put some much needed fear into defenses - because as it stands now, there is no real threat down the field, so defenses can just tee off on the QB without worrying about getting beat over the top. I don't think this is a "nice to have" priority, I think it'll be a legit priority for the offense to get faster. They need to be getting more explosive plays.
This
G08
Hall of Famer

Look at the Chiefs' offensive weapons and line, then look at ours:

Travis Kelce - 136 targets
Sammy Watkins - 90 targets (13 games)
Tyreek Hill - 89 targets (12 games)
Mecole Hardman - 41 targets

To me... we need an overhaul at the TE position. This means a FA signing and a draft pick. At WR, we need one pure speed receiver.

Hill is arguably the fastest player in the NFL (4.29 dash)
Watkins ran a 4.43
Hardman ran a 4.33
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

EricTighe
MVP

Not to argue with you GO8. But we did draft the pure speed guy a few years ago. I am not arguing with the need for speed but I would prefer another Robinson type of WR compared to reaching for a guy like Kevin White who ran a 4.35. Perhaps a bad example but I want guys who can catch and find seams in the zone. I hate putting all the narrative on speed even though I agree it does help.
wab
Mod

EricTighe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:21 pm Not to argue with you GO8. But we did draft the pure speed guy a few years ago. I am not arguing with the need for speed but I would prefer another Robinson type of WR compared to reaching for a guy like Kevin White who ran a 4.35. Perhaps a bad example but I want guys who can catch and find seams in the zone. I hate putting all the narrative on speed even though I agree it does help.
Yeah, and that speed guy legitimately had to be accounted for when he was on the field. He was just never on the field.
EricTighe
MVP

Can't argue with that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:05 pm
Just because Gabriel's speed hasn't always yielded consistent results doesn't mean it isn't a top priority for Nagy's offense. Maybe Garbriel wasn't as good as we'd all hoped for.
Or maybe the QB missed Gabriel on wide open 30-70 yd TDs something like 5 times in the 9 games Gabriel played.

Still, I agree with the premise that not having a deep threat to respect would be painful for an offense with a lot of other problems.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:21 pm Not to argue with you GO8. But we did draft the pure speed guy a few years ago. I am not arguing with the need for speed but I would prefer another Robinson type of WR compared to reaching for a guy like Kevin White who ran a 4.35. Perhaps a bad example but I want guys who can catch and find seams in the zone. I hate putting all the narrative on speed even though I agree it does help.
Not sure when you joined the board, but my hatred for Kevin White started long before he was drafted by the beloved.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am
Not sure when you joined the board, but my hatred for Kevin White started long before he was drafted by the beloved.
It's true. And G08 is usually pretty optimistic about draft picks, whereas I usually hate them all at the time they are made.
EricTighe
MVP

Does it matter whether we like the picks or not?

We have to love them when they are done.
Drone7
Player of the Month

One thing I've learned over the years, is to step back and not get too up or down about the picks until preseason's over. Of course, some will say that you can't evaluate a rookie until after year 3, but usually, good players compete fairly well right off the bat. They'll make mistakes like all rookies do, but will sprinkle in enough good plays to earn the respect of coaches and teammates. If you read a guy is really struggling practice after practice, look out. Another thing: don't get too enamored with physical measurables; wait and see how coordinated and field smart the player is. Plenty of guys wash out because they aren't smart enough.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

FA moves. Bears fill in starting LB, QB, TE. Right wrong indifferent. Taking those positions out of play.

Positions of need, RG, WR, CB, SS, 5T.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08
Hall of Famer

#43 should be ripe with CBs and WRs... I could see us trading out of that slot if our cloud is large enough and picking our highest rated dude at #50.

BR0D1E86
MVP

This doesn't merit its own thread, I just find it hard to believe...

RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'd be trading down on both picks in the 2nd.
cblaz11
MVP

I don’t hate the idea of trading down ...That said, there’s going to be some real talent in the second

Also, ya gotta have a partner and its not a given
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Very true on the partner

There should be 10 players worth pick 50 - so even if you move to like 57-58 - You should still be good
cblaz11
MVP

Let’s say we don’t trade down...

With those two second rd picks, what's your perfect scenario?
Z Bear
MVP

OT and S
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:50 am Let’s say we don’t trade down...

That's really tough, because the thing on the top of my needs list (C) probably won't have an appropriate choice at 43, 50.
Ruiz will likely be gone and Biadasz/Cushenberry/Hennessy are pretty reach-y at that point.

I guess I'd have to go

Hamler/Reagor
and
Dugger/Chinn

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Josh Jones. - OT Houston
cblaz11
MVP

I think any combo of Reagor, Winfield, Ruiz, Lemieux will make me happy.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

43 Chase Claypool
50 Jeremy Chinn
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

Don’t see the Chinn love...especially in the 2nd

Don’t see the explosion or instincts
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think Chinn's potential is very high. He has the size and speed that you can't teach. He does hesitate at times, but there are other times, especially when he's manning up or blitzing where he's a freaking missile! Hesitation aside, he's not afraid to tackle. If he's there at 50, I'd take the risk on him without looking back. he's projected anywhere from late 1st to early 3rd by pundits, so it's hard to have a great feel for where real scouts have him pegged.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

I think GMs make mistakes when they overlook play on the field for physical traits. Hard pass for me if we’re talking 2nd rd for him..

I see a significant difference when I watch Chinn vs Winfield
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:58 pm I think GMs make mistakes when they overlook play on the field for physical traits. Hard pass for me if we’re talking 2nd rd for him..

I see a significant difference when I watch Chinn vs Winfield
Where would you put Winfield on this roster, though?

He's ideally a FS.
Maybe some NB, maybe not.
Outside corner? Doubtful
Certainly not a SS.