2019 Draft Class in review

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

• MONTGOMERY did okay. I think he could become a versatile and engaging back once there's a non-bullshit offensive line in front of him, but he's not a game-breaker or particularly special talent.
  • RIDLEY only made himself known recently and it's not really fair to judge him just yet.
  • SHELLEY hasn't been active yet, has he? I feel like I've not seen him on the roster.
  • WHYTE is a nobody.
  • DENMARK probably will be a "oh yeah, that guy" name during next year's preseason, but that's all.
Please provide your reviews.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

• MONTGOMERY is worrisome. Yes, he had to contend with a bad line and/or bad blocking schemes. But Howard had pretty much the same deal and was able to produce significantly better. This is teetering towards being another instance of the Bears falling in love with a guy and absolutely having to have him...and then he's really not that good.
  • RIDLEY didn't get much opportunity. We'll see.
  • SHELLEY did nothing, but that isn't a surprise. He was coming off a bad injury and the idea with this pick was to have a cheap replacement for Skrine ready in 2021.
  • WHYTE has been good in very limited duty for the Steelers. He could have been protected and someone else left dangling.
  • DENMARK a long term project who's likely to be on PS all next year, too.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I like Monty a lot. The effort is there on every single run. Give him an OL and an HC that knows how to run the ball and he could do a lot of damage. Having Monty just pisses me off more that we traded Jordan Howard. We could've had an amazing RB tandem that would've taken a lot of pressure off of Mitch and the defense.

The rest of them I don't know. Between injuries and them not being on the team anymore who knows. Except for Ridley, but WRs take time to develop.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Montgomery doesn't have elite speed but he gives 100% + every play. I'd like to see what he could do behind better blocking. I'd also like to see him used more in the passing game, he had some nice long gains earlier in the season. He and Howard would have been a great tandem. The other draft picks just had no effect due to lack of playing time.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I have concerns about Montgomery. He gives all kinds of effort and has decent speed, but I haven't seen the vision and elite cutting that I saw in college.

Everyone else gets an incomplete, although I'm disappointed that Whyte was jettisoned in favor of Nall.
Z Bear
MVP

I liked what I saw from Montgomery; runs hard, has jukes, falls forward every time. I disagree on his vision, he has made a lot out of nothing cutting back this year. He is easily a 1,200 yard back with a better offense around him. B+ pick for me.

I saw most of Ridley's college games, so I know what he brings. He was under used this year but should be in for more production next year. Right now is just an incomplete grade.

Whyte did nothing and was signed off the practice squad, F grade.

Denmark looks like a good size, speed project (and no one has poached him yet), so another incomplete.

Shelly looked like a good pick and played good in the pre-season. Buster Skrine was just a pleasant surprise so he did not see the field much. Another incomplete grade

B+, F, and 3 incompletes....yikes. Reminds me of my third semester at South Carolina.