Mock Draft 1.0

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

Rd 2- Tyler Biadasz-OG-Wisconsin
Plug and play from day one. This kid is a mauler and plays with a nasty streak. That said, he’s improved dramatically on his technique. He’s a leader in the locker room and tone setter on the field. He can play OG or C..could enable us to move Cody back to OG down the road if Daniels can’t play center

Rd 2- Colby Parkinson-TE-Stanford
Big at 6-6 but unlike others that tall, he uses it. Time after time you see him bodying out and high pointing the ball. Very high football IQ and plays to the whistle. Needs to add some lower body strength but seems to be a high character guy with great work ethic. He’s very hard to bring down which shows every time he touches the ball.

Rd 5- Julian Blackmon-S-Utah
Converted to safety after playing CB. Solid frame, good tackler, high football IQ. I like his leadership and he’s rarely caught out of place.

Rd 5- Tipa Galeai-OLB-Utah St
Two words....high motor. This guy is all over the field until the whistle blows. He shows great flexibility from rushing the passer to dropping into coverage. He’s 6-5 and 230 lbs so he has to bulk up which is why he drops to the 5th. That said, he’s a high character and high work ethic guy so I think he will commit to the weight room. Watching his tape, I see a lot of Leonard Floyd in him.

Rd 6- Raequan Williams-DT/DE- Michigan State
Big body guy at 6-4 300lbs...has shown ability to make splash plays but needs to work on his technique. Has rare flash for a guy this big.

Rd 6-Mohamed Barry-LB-Nevraska
Speedy LB who can cover sideline to sideline. That said, I think he can come in and be a ST contributor day 1

Rd 7- Justin Hill-WR-Mount Union
Small school prospect that has some potential. He’s 6-2 with some shiftiness..He just has a knack for getting open. He caught 22 tds this season against low level competition but his ability to run the rt tree is there.
Last edited by cblaz11 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Think you're missing a pick or two there, FYI. Will likely have a 4th from Amos. Have their 7th. And depending on what that extra fifth represents you're missing the Howard 6th/5th or maybe a 5th from Mack.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

https://670thescore.radio.com/chicago-b ... raft-order

Not sure the source here, but this link is counting the Howard as a 5th and saying they'll have 142, 146, and 149 in rd5. Of course that will lower after comp picks too.
cblaz11
MVP

I see two 2nd rd picks, two 5ths, two 6ths, and a 7th

I edited....my last two got cut off
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

They have #11 and 18 in the 2nd round), #37 in the 4th, #13 and 17 in the 5th. I believe they have 2 picks in the 6th (not sure if the Howard trade gets elevated to a 5th) and a 7th.

On the Fanspeak Mock Draft simulator (a lot of fun), I had them drafting:

43: Mekhi Beckton, Louisville, OT - couldn't pass up this value;
50: Cody Parkinson, Stanford, TE - wanted an OLB but didn't see one I liked:
145: Jamie Newman, Wake Forest, QB - getting some good buzz

After round 4, I'm just not familiar enough with college guys to make choices.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

The Fanspeak Mock Draft is awesome. Here's my results of a 6 round simulation:

43: R2P11
OT TREY SMITH
TENNESSEE

50: R2P18
DL RAEKWON DAVIS
ALABAMA

145: R4P37
QB SAM EHLINGER
TEXAS

160: R5P13
TE HUNTER BRYANT
WASHINGTON

164: R5P17
S KYLE DUGGER
LENOIR-RHYNE

198: R6P17
G JON RUNYAN
MICHIGAN
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Here was a fanspeak mock I posted to the main forum last week.

Rd 2 Pick 1;
Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
-He's got some boom/bust, but the boom scenario is a game changing home run back.

Rd 2 Pick 2;
Creed Humphrey, C/G, Oklahoma
-Reading this guys profile was exciting. Has a wrestling background and all the pros talk about his use of leverage. The cons seem to be his lack of measurables (lack of length), but he has a good Height/Weight profile and is a young player with lots of college production. That he profiles across all 3 interior spots is just an added bonus.

Rd 4 (Amos comp pick)
Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M
-As far as mid-round QB prospects go, this guys seems to have what you'd want, though fanspeak seemed to think it was a reach. But solid tools as both a passer and a runner and multi-year starter. I guess he flatlined a little bit statistically this year, but there seems to be projectable tools for a modern NFL QB. The way the board fell as well in this particular mock, I felt it was the right opportunity to jump at a developmental QB, which I feel is a must.

Rd 5 Pick 1
Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU
-Projectable tools as a future NT. May spend much of Y1 inactive and bulking up for the NFL, but could be an eventual Eddie Goldman replacement if he develops right.

Rd 5 Pick 2 (this is the unknown Mack conditional pick, FWIW fanspeak included it in their mock)
Patrick Nelson, S, SMU
-A bit of a hybrid college player, he may not also project to a true position in the NFL (may not be a modern NFL safety and still way too small as a LB) but there's some really interesting potential there as a hybrid NFL role in nickel/dime packages. At worst, you read his profile and figure his floor is 4 years of cheap ST production. Get players, figure out the fit later, in this case.

Rd 6 Pick 1 (or conditional 5th from Jordan Howard trade)
Reggie Floyd, S, Virginia Tech
-Doubling up on S doesn't feel unnatural in the Pace era. Floyd projects as a true S, unlike Nelson. He'd probably be considered the "SS" next to Jackson, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here too. At this point in the draft there's a lot of development left. Still, a nice depth piece based on the roster.

Rd 6 Pick 2
Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
-Late round DB depth is almost always worth a flyer. Seems to have some projectable tools.

Rd 7
Matt Bushman, TE, BYU
-Somehow it took me until the 7th round pick to try and address the TE position. Not exactly what I would have planned. As for Bushman, he looks like a big, dual threat TE. Sounds like there's quite a bit of work to actually be that guy, but it is round 7. Beggars can't be choosers and the value seemed right in this iteration of the mock draft. Go beat out Shaheen buddy!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I need to do more homework to figure out which players to target in round 4 and later, but I've been doing the Fanspeak mock draft and in every one I've done so far either Eason, Hurts or Fromm are there for the first pick in the second and then either Becton or Kindley are there for the 2nd second round pick so I'm extremely happy with what will be available for us.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 pm I need to do more homework to figure out which players to target in round 4 and later, but I've been doing the Fanspeak mock draft and in every one I've done so far either Eason, Hurts or Fromm are there for the first pick in the second and then either Becton or Kindley are there for the 2nd second round pick so I'm extremely happy with what will be available for us.
That one I did there, all those guys were gone, as well as Love. But that's 4 possible targets in Rd 2. On average, probably one ends up a top flight QB... Bears gotta do their homework and see which ones might really have that potential.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 pm The Fanspeak Mock Draft is awesome. Here's my results of a 6 round simulation:

43: R2P11
OT TREY SMITH
TENNESSEE

50: R2P18
DL RAEKWON DAVIS
ALABAMA

145: R4P37
QB SAM EHLINGER
TEXAS

160: R5P13
TE HUNTER BRYANT
WASHINGTON

164: R5P17
S KYLE DUGGER
LENOIR-RHYNE

198: R6P17
G JON RUNYAN
MICHIGAN
I could get down with this, except for Bryant - he’s smaller and even more injury prone than Burton.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:06 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 pm I need to do more homework to figure out which players to target in round 4 and later, but I've been doing the Fanspeak mock draft and in every one I've done so far either Eason, Hurts or Fromm are there for the first pick in the second and then either Becton or Kindley are there for the 2nd second round pick so I'm extremely happy with what will be available for us.
That one I did there, all those guys were gone, as well as Love. But that's 4 possible targets in Rd 2. On average, probably one ends up a top flight QB... Bears gotta do their homework and see which ones might really have that potential.
What settings are you using?

Here are mine in the order they appear:

Fanspeak - Steve: (Default)
Current Official Draft Order
Difficult

I just did one for this post and got Hurts (Fromm was available too.) and Kindley the guard from Georgia.

What I do is run a bunch of them over a period of time to find a pattern of who could be available. I've done at least a half dozen so far and each time a QB worth taking and a higher graded OL is there too.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yea on subsequent turns at least one was usually available but it varies.
G08
Hall of Famer

@wab I thought this was YOUR mock draft!

Ahem... you're holding out on us, sir.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:29 pm @wab I thought this was YOUR mock draft!

Ahem... you're holding out on us, sir.
Monday.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm Rd 2- Tyler Biadasz-OG-Wisconsin
Plug and play from day one. This kid is a mauler and plays with a nasty streak. That said, he’s improved dramatically on his technique. He’s a leader in the locker room and tone setter on the field. He can play OG or C..could enable us to move Cody back to OG down the road if Daniels can’t play center

Rd 2- Colby Parkinson-TE-Stanford
Big at 6-6 but unlike others that tall, he uses it. Time after time you see him bodying out and high pointing the ball. Very high football IQ and plays to the whistle. Needs to add some lower body strength but seems to be a high character guy with great work ethic. He’s very hard to bring down which shows every time he touches the ball.

Rd 5- Julian Blackmon-S-Utah
Converted to safety after playing CB. Solid frame, good tackler, high football IQ. I like his leadership and he’s rarely caught out of place.

Rd 5- Tipa Galeai-OLB-Utah St
Two words....high motor. This guy is all over the field until the whistle blows. He shows great flexibility from rushing the passer to dropping into coverage. He’s 6-5 and 230 lbs so he has to bulk up which is why he drops to the 5th. That said, he’s a high character and high work ethic guy so I think he will commit to the weight room. Watching his tape, I see a lot of Leonard Floyd in him.

Rd 6- Raequan Williams-DT/DE- Michigan State
Big body guy at 6-4 300lbs...has shown ability to make splash plays but needs to work on his technique. Has rare flash for a guy this big.

Rd 6-Mohamed Barry-LB-Nevraska
Speedy LB who can cover sideline to sideline. That said, I think he can come in and be a ST contributor day 1

Rd 7- Justin Hill-WR-Mount Union
Small school prospect that has some potential. He’s 6-2 with some shiftiness..He just has a knack for getting open. He caught 22 tds this season against low level competition but his ability to run the rt tree is there.
really like your first 2 pics a lot.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Parkinson is pretty much a wide out. I could be wrong, but I think that the second round is way high for him. I think it will depend on how he does with his blocking in the All Star games.