QB Prospect Discussion: Anthony Gordon, Washington State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

Anthony Gordon-QB-WSU
6-3, 210lbs

He backed up Menshew which is why we haven’t seen much of him but man did he come up big this year. Couple things that stand out to me..

Pocket awareness...He has a nice ability to manipulate the pocket while keeping his eyes down field
Vision- he fits that ball in some tight windows

I really like this guy and I’ll be curious to see how the draft process plays out for him. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Highlight reels aren't good to look at. Better to watch every play of games and see the good and bad. He was under almost no pressure there. But I will say that his feet were almost perfect in the pocket. Almost no happy feet. But of course, when the other team isn't getting a rush, that's easy to do. He could use to get in the weight room. A bit on the skinny side.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

extremely polite of UCLA to not play any defense in that game.
Bad Flanders
MVP

WSU has been finding some good football players these last few years.

This is round-a-bout but they have a strength coach whose sister worked for me. It was an interesting story, the guy was working in Sioux City as the trainer for a little college here (Morningside) and he wanted something bigger but couldn't get interviews, finally someone told him he just needed to intern with a real big program for a year. So he quits his job, puts it all on the line and becomes an intern at Washington (Huskies) and after that he started getting offers and worked up through the ranks of pretty big schools and ended up as an assistant strength guy on that staff there under Leach. I don't really know the guy but I've followed WSU a little since and noticed that Leach has a knack for finding guys. Also the guy's sister told me he always wanted to work for the Bears ultimately, so I've had to try and stay in touch with her just in case he actually makes it some day! LOL
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Slowly looking at QBs.

Obviously I think Fromm is a guy to watch as teams may undervalue him. Steady good QB whom played in a pro style heavy run game. No amazing physical attributes, but good at everything. Smart pro style etc. As for mid to later round guys...

James Morgan, QB, Florida International

Kid was a 4 star recruit who transferred from Ball St, due to the Head Coach leaving. Physically he has NFL ability. Compact throwing motion like Tony Romo. 6'4" good build. Good arm and accuracy. Mobile with good pocket movement. Didnt put up gaudy numbers, and played lower level competition.

Mason Fine, QB, North Texas

He's a little shit listed at 5'11". He has a good arm. Might not have a cannon but he puts the ball in great spots. Mobile, and goes through reads. His size is the concern and he wont get selected until late.

cblaz11
MVP

Fine- I love his quick decision making..love his pocket awareness...His size hurts him...The amount of batter down balls will only get worse in the nfl and he has had a lot. Also..very questionable arm strength...I just don’t think its there

Morgan- Not a fan..He’s accurate but I don’t see the pocket presence or the ability to make quick decisions. He’s almost always late on throws.

Have you watched my boy Anthony Gordon?
cblaz11
MVP

Also...on Fromm...did you watch season 1 of QB1 on Netflix? If your curious about Fromm, you should. Very high character guy with natural leadership traits.
wab
Mod

I like Gordon a lot as a developmental dude, but I fear he’s going to go higher than expected and I’m not in the “pick a QB high” camp.

Same goes for Fromm.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am Fine- I love his quick decision making..love his pocket awareness...His size hurts him...The amount of batter down balls will only get worse in the nfl and he has had a lot. Also..very questionable arm strength...I just don’t think its there

Morgan- Not a fan..He’s accurate but I don’t see the pocket presence or the ability to make quick decisions. He’s almost always late on throws.

Have you watched my boy Anthony Gordon?
I have watched highlights of Gordon. I have yet to watch actual games of anyone yet. So essentially it's just looking at arm talent. Which he obviously has. The air raid and 1 year starter is clearly a concern.

Morgan is a much later prospect. Which I think is important to look at traits. He initially has those boxes checked.
cblaz11
MVP

Ya....agree

Thoughts on Fromm and Hurts?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have watched a lot of Fromm and there is a ton there to like. I think the arm strength is better then given credit for. Some act like he has Shane Walsh arm. The kid is incredibly smart and efficient. Which for some reason gets the negative game manager title. He has leadership traits that are palpable. He is good in the pocket and mobile enough to extend plays. He has a high floor. I dont think that means he has a low ceiling. I think right now over analysis has him as a second rounder, I dont think that's his ending position.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Hirts on the other hand I think needs a specific fit. Clearly athletic and moves well. Has a big arm but not as accurate. I think in an offense that allows him to be creative and move he can succeed. Unfortunately how many OC are willing to allow it? Boots half, field reads, too, etc.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm stuck on Fromm being 6'2". Somebody please tell me that won't be an issue.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Lot of QBs rated higher, he might still be around in the 4th. He played in Mike Leach's Air Raid offense. Lots of QBs who put up big numbers in it can't adapt to the pros. Mahomes did as did Gardner Minshew (although the jury's still out on him). Both Jacob Eason (University of Washington) and Justin Fields (Ohio State) were highly recruited QBs brought to Georgia to beat out Fromm and they couldn't. He didn't put up giant numbers in college but that's not Georgia's offense. Seems smart and high character. I'm torn about taking him in the 2nd if he's available, the Bears have so many needs. I think I would, Trubisky needs competition.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:05 am I'm stuck on Fromm being 6'2". Somebody please tell me that won't be an issue.
Brees, Wilson, Prescott, Rodgers, Watson, Jackson just to name a few 6'2" or under.

Fromm most likely wont be a franchise QB, but it won't be because of his height.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:05 am I'm stuck on Fromm being 6'2". Somebody please tell me that won't be an issue.
Mahomes is 6'2
Watson is 6'2
Rodgers is 6'2
Jackson is 6'2
Cousins is 6'2
Prescott is 6'2
Garoppolo is 6'2
Trubisky is 6'2
Dalton is 6'2
Keenum is 6'1
Menshew is 6'1
Brees is 6'0
Murray is 5'11
Wilson is 5'11

I don't think it's a problem.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:52 am
Mahomes is 6'2
Watson is 6'2
Rodgers is 6'2
Jackson is 6'2
Cousins is 6'2
Prescott is 6'2
Garoppolo is 6'2
Trubisky is 6'2
Dalton is 6'2
Keenum is 6'1
Menshew is 6'1
Brees is 6'0
Murray is 5'11
Wilson is 5'11

Fwiw Mahomes and Cousins are listed at 6'3"

But yea, the prototypical image of the 6'4" broad QB ought to be dead in this day and age. It's antiquated thinking and you're gonna miss good ones if it's a qualifier.
UOK
Site Admin

Here's some of the heights from the best QBs of the 2010's:

Joe Flacco - 6’6”
Nick Foles - 6’6”
Eli Manning - 6’5”
Cam Newton - 6’5”
Ben Roethlisberger - 6’5”
Phillip Rivers - 6’5”
Tom Brady - 6’4”
Matt Ryan - 6’4”
Alex Smith - 6’4”
Derek Carr - 6’3”
Matt Stafford - 6’3”
Kirk Cousins - 6’3”
Andy Dalton - 6’2”
Aaron Rodgers - 6’2”
Drew Brees - 6’0”
Michael Vick - 6’0”
Russell Wilson - 5’11”

Here are some first round picks over the last few years who were tall:

Paxton Lynch - 6’7”
Josh Allen - 6’5”
Blake Bortles - 6’5”
Daniel Jones - 6’5”
Carson Wentz - 6’5”
Jared Goff - 6’4”
Dwayne Haskins - 6’4”
DeShone Kizer - 6’4”
Andrew Luck - 6’4”
Marcus Mariota - 6’4”
Josh Rosen - 6’4”
Ryan Tannehill - 6’4”
Jameis Winston - 6’4”
Hoog
Player of the Month

I know most will cringe when I say it but I have a soft spot for Bryce Perkins from Virginia. I think his passing has improved enough to qualify for a NFL "prospect" at QB. He isn't a day one starter or maybe even a day one back up but he has a huge amount of potential, IMO. Right now, I have him in my 5th round pick (very early mock):

#43 (R2)- Terrell Lewis, OLB, Bama

#50 (R2)- Traded to Denver along with our second 5th rounder for pick #77 (R3), pick #83 (R3), pick #118 (R4), and 2021 5th

#77 (R3)- Matt Peart, OT, UConn

#83 (R3)- Dane Jackson, CB, Pitt

#118 (R4)- Robert Hunt, OT/OG, Louisiana

#146 (R5)- Bryce Perkins, QB, Virginia

#178 (R6)- Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU

#187 (R6)- Brian Cole II, S, Miss State

#210 (R7)- Jared Mayden, S, Alabama

**All pick spots are just estimates and the players will be higher or lower than they should be in the end but it was just where sites had them at this time. Lewis and Peart, are probably to low but it's where the majority of sites had them right now.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mahomes is 6'2
Watson is 6'2
Rodgers is 6'2
Jackson is 6'2
Cousins is 6'2
Prescott is 6'2
Garoppolo is 6'2
Trubisky is 6'2
Dalton is 6'2
Keenum is 6'1
Menshew is 6'1
Brees is 6'0
Murray is 5'11
Wilson is 5'11

Thanks.

I got stuck on stupid about having a QB significantly shorter than the o-line. Never mind.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Mahomes is 6'2
Watson is 6'2
Rodgers is 6'2
Jackson is 6'2
Cousins is 6'2
Prescott is 6'2
Garoppolo is 6'2
Trubisky is 6'2
Dalton is 6'2
Keenum is 6'1
Menshew is 6'1
Brees is 6'0
Murray is 5'11
Wilson is 5'11

Fwiw Mahomes and Cousins are listed at 6'3"

But yea, the prototypical image of the 6'4" broad QB ought to be dead in this day and age. It's antiquated thinking and you're gonna miss good ones if it's a qualifier.
I was going off of their combine measurements.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter's been saying that the Bears should make an offer to Taysom Hill of the Saints. He's a UFA. Schefter said Hill could serve dual roles of pushing Trubisky as an experienced backup and save them from using a high draft pick on a QB. He's also a dynamic playmaker. Hill has thrown all of 13 passes in 3 years in the pros. He was a starter at BYU his sophomore and senior seasons and didn't exactly set the world on fire. The Bears already have Cohen and Patterson as playmakers. The Bears need a solid QB to push Trubisky, be it through the draft or as a FA.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am Adam Schefter's been saying that the Bears should make an offer to Taysom Hill of the Saints. He's a UFA. Schefter said Hill could serve dual roles of pushing Trubisky as an experienced backup and save them from using a high draft pick on a QB. He's also a dynamic playmaker. Hill has thrown all of 13 passes in 3 years in the pros. He was a starter at BYU his sophomore and senior seasons and didn't exactly set the world on fire. The Bears already have Cohen and Patterson as playmakers. The Bears need a solid QB to push Trubisky, be it through the draft or as a FA.
I'd be down. He's going on 30, so it's not like he's a spring chicken. Seems like a guy that Nagy would adore.
wab
Mod

I'd LOVE that dude on the Bears. But I don't think he's a legitimate quality backup in any way shape or form. If he had to start a significant number of games the Bears offense would go from bad to hilariously bad.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am Adam Schefter's been saying that the Bears should make an offer to Taysom Hill of the Saints. He's a UFA. Schefter said Hill could serve dual roles of pushing Trubisky as an experienced backup and save them from using a high draft pick on a QB. He's also a dynamic playmaker. Hill has thrown all of 13 passes in 3 years in the pros. He was a starter at BYU his sophomore and senior seasons and didn't exactly set the world on fire. The Bears already have Cohen and Patterson as playmakers. The Bears need a solid QB to push Trubisky, be it through the draft or as a FA.
I think Schefter is just parroting the perpetual handjob that the announcers gave Hill during the Saints game.

Nagy has enough gadgets to play with. He needs to focus on actual football.
wab
Mod

Draft related... I've been looking at Arizona's Khalil Tate. He was dynamic under Rich Rodriguez but got neutered when Sumlin took over. If you are looking for that Lamar Jackson type athlete, this is the dude.

Like Jackson, Tate has refused to take part in any WR drills. He says he's a QB and that's it.

He's down here this week at the College Gridiron Showcase in Fort Worth and I'm super interested to see what he does.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Tate had a good chance to win the Heisman if Rich Rod could have kept his dong in his pants. Sumlin has ruined that team from top to bottom. I'd love to see the Bears bring him in.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 am Draft related... I've been looking at Arizona's Khalil Tate. He was dynamic under Rich Rodriguez but got neutered when Sumlin took over. If you are looking for that Lamar Jackson type athlete, this is the dude.

Like Jackson, Tate has refused to take part in any WR drills. He says he's a QB and that's it.

He's down here this week at the College Gridiron Showcase in Fort Worth and I'm super interested to see what he does.
I wish there were more highlights showcasing his QB game beyond scrambling. I have no idea what kind of arm he's got, timing, footwork, vision, etc, because all the clips are of him scrambling for big gains.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I've seen a bunch of Tate. He has an NFL arm for sure. I don't agree with a lot of the draft scouts claiming he bails on passes and tucks and runs too soon. When he does run, it's fucking beautiful. My big issue would be pocket awareness. His arm is fine. His mechanics are fine when in a clean pocket, and even when throwing off balance/on the run which he tends to do a bit too often for my taste. I've seen him misread pressure and slide into contact far too often. His mechanics also break down when in the face of pressure. He's gotten away with it in college, but he will need to fix that to play in the NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

This is his 5 TD game against Utah Community College. So it's only showing 5 throws, but you can see what I mean. Good accuracy, even on the off-balance throws. I just don't like that on a couple of those, he had the time to set his feet and throw it with good footwork. As long as he's getting away with it in college, he may have trouble uncoaching that from his game and leaning on his mechanics.