QB Prospect Discussion: Anthony Gordon, Washington State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:04 am Slowly looking at QBs.

Obviously I think Fromm is a guy to watch as teams may undervalue him. Steady good QB whom played in a pro style heavy run game. No amazing physical attributes, but good at everything. Smart pro style etc. As for mid to later round guys...

James Morgan, QB, Florida International

Kid was a 4 star recruit who transferred from Ball St, due to the Head Coach leaving. Physically he has NFL ability. Compact throwing motion like Tony Romo. 6'4" good build. Good arm and accuracy. Mobile with good pocket movement. Didnt put up gaudy numbers, and played lower level competition.

Mason Fine, QB, North Texas

He's a little shit listed at 5'11". He has a good arm. Might not have a cannon but he puts the ball in great spots. Mobile, and goes through reads. His size is the concern and he wont get selected until late.

Watched both these dudes play the East-West Shrine Bowl earlier today, I liked bits and pieces of what I saw from both of them. Mason Fine intrigues me but man, he measured in at 5096, which is shorter than both Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

I'd maybe draft him on day 3 if Pace/Nagy love everything else about the kid. Has a live arm and I do like how he maneuvers in the pocket.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I really like Morgan. I think he has a lot of potential. I also like Wabs mention of Tate. Neither will likely be anything but in the middle of the draft they could be gems.

From Walterfootball.
James Morgan, QB, Florida International

Morgan was the best quarterback at the East-West Shrine and really had a strong week of practice. Morgan has a live arm with good size, which he put that on display in each session. The 6-foot-4 230-pounder can spin the ball and has the ability to drive ball to all levels of the defense. Morgan's strong start to the week has a lot of teams showing serious interest in him. The Jets met with Morgan on Sunday night and then spoke with him for a long time after Monday's practice. Other teams that met with Morgan include the Las Vegas Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills. The Chargers and Colts also showed a lot of interest in Morgan.

Mason Fine
In contention for best pass of the week came in this session courtesy of North Texas quarterback Mason Fine, who lofted in a beautiful bomb to Indiana wide receiver Nick Westbrook. Fine demonstrated superb timing and precision on the throw to drop it in to Westbrook along the deep sideline and between two defenders.

Fine is an undersized quarterback, but he has enough arm strength with some athleticism. Given his gritty style of play, Fine battles and really competes to move the ball. Team sources have said Fine has the potential to be a Case Keenum-type backup quarterback in the NFL.
wab
Mod

Bears apparently spent some time with Morgan at the East West Shrine game. There's a lot to like about him.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/ ... -practice/
UOK
Site Admin

Love his release. Guy's arm is like a slingshot. Underthrows a bit, but it's not for a lack of strength. Love it.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Better mustache than Trubisky and Gardner Minshew also. Just kidding. If the Bears bring in a legitimate vet to challenge Trubisky, they can look at a guy like Morgan for development. I wouldn't be opposed to them taking a second guy like Mason Fine, Arizona's Tate, or Tyler Huntley of Utah, all who should be available in lower rounds.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I kind of think Morgan may go higher then expected.

It will be interesting what the QBs at the senior bowl look like.

North Team

Jordan Love - Utah State 1/2 Round

Anthony Gordon - Washington State 2/4 Round

Shea Patterson - Michigan 6+ Round

South Team

Justin Herbert - Oregon 1/2 Rounder

Jalen Hurts - Oklahoma 2/4 Round

Steven Montez - Colorado 4/7 Round
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ha!

@Bryan Perez
That sound you hear is Shea Patterson's draft stock hitting rock bottom.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

@TonyPauline
Jordan Love/#UtahSt has made some incredible throws in one-on-one drills at #SeniorBowl practice. I mean like "holy crap that was good" throws.
G08
Hall of Famer

Gordon's measurements at the Senior Bowl:

Height: 6-2 1/4″
Weight: 199
Arm: 31 3/8″
Hand: 9 1/2″
Gordon is a physically gifted passer who improved a bit as the week progressed. Yet despite his strong-arm, Gordon displayed too much inconsistency and indecision. He was slow pulling the trigger at times which resulted in passes arriving to the intended target later than allowed. Unlike his former teammate Gardner Minshew, who was terrific during Senior Bowl week in 2019, Gordon leaves practice viewed as a developmental prospect that’s likely to fall out of the draft.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Starting to look into this kid a little bit more... love his throwing motion and release. Compact and lightning quick.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 pm Gordon's measurements at the Senior Bowl:

Gordon is a physically gifted passer who improved a bit as the week progressed. Yet despite his strong-arm, Gordon displayed too much inconsistency and indecision. He was slow pulling the trigger at times which resulted in passes arriving to the intended target later than allowed. Unlike his former teammate Gardner Minshew, who was terrific during Senior Bowl week in 2019, Gordon leaves practice viewed as a developmental prospect that’s likely to fall out of the draft.
He must have been really terrible in practices to fall out of the draft. I thought he would move up. Physically he has a full tool kit.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 am Draft related... I've been looking at Arizona's Khalil Tate. He was dynamic under Rich Rodriguez but got neutered when Sumlin took over. If you are looking for that Lamar Jackson type athlete, this is the dude.

Like Jackson, Tate has refused to take part in any WR drills. He says he's a QB and that's it.

He's down here this week at the College Gridiron Showcase in Fort Worth and I'm super interested to see what he does.
Kevin Sumlin is the opposite of a QB whisperer... he actively makes QBs worse... I felt bad for Tate when they got Sumlin... he made Kyler Murray look like a bad college QB...
Drone7
Player of the Month

Thanks for the QB reports. Don't watch much college football, so I appreciate the input from those that do.

One thing to beware of--reading QBs are struggling in SB practices. May not mean much especially with anticipation throwers, who're "thrown off" tossing to new receivers. A strong-armed, see-it-and-throw QB like Cutler or this year's Herbert tend to shine compared to guys that are used to throwing softer and earlier on the route.

In passing drills, it's also better to see a full range of defenders so you can assess some of the difficult throws like when a ball is lofted over the second level and dropped beneath deep coverage. Those are even more revealing than deep outs. Fades are also tough throws that many pros don't throw well.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 am
G08 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 pm Gordon's measurements at the Senior Bowl:

He must have been really terrible in practices to fall out of the draft. I thought he would move up. Physically he has a full tool kit.
Whose analysis was that?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Above in G08 post sounds like a walter football